New Kid Tryin To Get In?

chewlarockchewlarock 26 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I got this new job and the boss mans son wants to learn about funk 45's. Now should i let him in on the good word or should i tell him that he needs to start like every body else at the ass end? Im thinkin to tell that fucker good luck What should i do?

Comments

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    The thrifts are a good place to start.

• If he's a good person then I think you should hook him up. He'll have a hard enough time finding anything anyway.

• Ya he's a good kid but i dont know if i should spill the beans right yet ive only known him for 2 weeks or so. I gave him like 30 beat to shit not rare at all soul 45's and he shit in his pants but was a bunch of Gordy and Atlantic soul and you see those like everyday but it was rare to him.

• Be the kid's mentor...most everyone had one, even maybe you at some point.

help him out, and help your career at the same time; this doesn't strike me as rocket science or omerta or naything...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    this doesn't strike me as rocket science or omerta or naything...

• The thrifts are a good place to start.

LOL. Thrifts might just be the worst place on Earth to learn about funk 45s. On the other hand, this might be exactly the type of advice the thread starter is looking for. That is, ostensibly helpful, but actually misleading.

LOL. Thrifts might just be the worst place on Earth to learn about funk 45s.

I don't think I've ever found a 45 worth keeping at a thrift. If they make it there, they are unsleeved and beat to shit, at least in Northern California.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Be the kid's mentor...most everyone had one, even maybe you at some point.

id LOVE to meet a kid that needed a mentor like this.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

I don't think I've ever found a 45 worth keeping at a thrift. If they make it there, they are unsleeved and beat to shit, at least in Northern California.

youre just diggin in the wrong thrifts. not saying theyre everywhere but i do pretty well at thrifts still. mostly the east bay though.

• LOL. Thrifts might just be the worst place on Earth to learn about funk 45s.

youre just diggin in the wrong thrifts. not saying theyre everywhere but i do pretty well at thrifts still. mostly the east bay though.

I'm doing a mental inventory and can only think of one East Bay thrift that I've found 45s in. Jinx is still da king!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

I'm doing a mental inventory and can only think of one East Bay thrift that I've found 45s in. Jinx is still da king!

what... do you think ive given up ALL my spots? i still have a couple that i frequent. my last find was a local early 80s soul piece from oakland. ballads but i like them.

wait til i can walk and dig again... ima be ALL UP IN YOUR SPOTS!

• Haha, most of my good spots are dried up now anyway. I'm hitting up private residences mostly now.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Sounds like we need to have a bay area thrift off.

• LOL. Thrifts might just be the worst place on Earth to learn about funk 45s.

Come to Georgia...45's around here are all jacked up with no sleeves!!! And I'm talking about some of the record shops.

For real. Even in spots I keep on the DL there is zilch to be found, at least sleeved. ::bow::

• Be the kid's mentor...most everyone had one, even maybe you at some point.

id LOVE to meet a kid that needed a mentor like this.

LOL. Thrifts might just be the worst place on Earth to learn about funk 45s. On the other hand, this might be exactly the type of advice the thread starter is looking for. That is, ostensibly helpful, but actually misleading.

To be truthful, I seldom see black music of ANY kind in thrift stores. At least in Chicago. All the old R&B - both common and "raer" - usually turns up in the used record places, not the Salvation Army.

• Richmond is different though.

Different to the point that you could glean a substantive knowledge of funk 45s?!? If that is what you're implying than I will respectfully call bullshit.

To be truthful, I seldom see black music of ANY kind in thrift stores. At least in Chicago. All the old R&B - both common and "raer" - usually turns up in the used record places, not the Salvation Army.

Same for the most part in Michigan. There are a number of thrift stores and junk shops in which you can score black music in Detroit, but not in any kind of reliable volume. For the most part, once you leave the Metro Detroit area (with the exception maybe of Flint), all you find in thrifts is white music, predominantly classical, religious, and pop vocalists. And on the 45 tip, it's almost exclusively Peter Pan/Disney kids records on yellow vinyl.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    give him Brainfreeze & Product Placement.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The thrifts are a good place to start.

Same in Florida. I just realized the other day that in all my thrifting/garage sailing I never found much funk (talking less than twenty records in five years). Someone be my funky mentor.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    man
    i had no mentor
    started diggin in 87
    got serious in 92
    no help from no one except mixtapes-kid capri-66 beats
    UBBs
    dj muro
    shame
    and that was it back then

kid is lucky he met you

i stll come up at thrifts but the golden days are long behind us
    overall its dry out there and more folls than ever diggin
    but they still don't know everything
    and leave great stuff behind
    many folks have yet to figure out private press and gospel and even non obvious latin joints

For real though

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I got this new job and the boss mans son wants to learn about funk 45's. Now should i let him in on the good word or should i tell him that he needs to start like every body else at the ass end? Im thinkin to tell that fucker good luck What should i do?

Why are we being inundated with these little dudes and their purported moral dilemmas related to digging. Did the-breaks.com finally go down?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Why are we being inundated with these little dudes and their purported moral dilemmas related to digging. Did the-breaks.com finally go down?

They heard that you were logged on, Young Regatta, and thought they would test the master's patience. I can't believe you fell for it! "The good word"...dude, that should have tipped you off from the jump!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    does he know the internet? mp3s? eBay? you might want to tell him about it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    eBay?

search: "funk 45 listen" / "funk 45 hear"

or funk45.com, but the last few times i tried to visit it it wasnt up and running..

Same in Florida. I just realized the other day that in all my thrifting/garage sailing I never found much funk (talking less than twenty records in five years). Someone be my funky mentor.

When I first started thrifting for records in the eighties, it was mainly white music even if the store was in a black neighborhood. Recently, I've seen some exceptions (more black-owned thrifts/more soul records), but not a lot. It's all about the actual used record stores.