Suspect beer drinking habits in the UK

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
WTF! UK heads plaese to discuss and explain. I love the beer in the UK. REAL beer. I stayed in Kilburn Park in London for a while and would hit the pubs every night. Drank MAD pints with all the locals and it was all good. What is going on over there now? Fools are drinking beer on ice? Pouring beer over ice cubes and drinking it? What is the deal with these "half pints?" A half pint glass? WHO in the UK is drinking a half pint of beer? I rolled with some champion level drunks when I was there. I NEVER saw a "half pint." I bet they don't drink half pints in Ireland. The hommie DJ Sheep said that some broad came into a pub where he was in Edinburgh and ordered a "Razzle Dazzle." WTF! LOL. I guess this is a pint of lager with room left in the top of the pint glass. It is then topped off with lemon lime soda or something like that. Really, what the hell is going on.

Comments

• I have a half pint-sized Guinness pub glass that I got over ten years ago in northern England, if that answers any questions.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I have a half pint-sized Guinness pub glass that I got over ten years ago in northern England, if that answers any questions.

Really? Why would you drink a half pint of Guinness? That goes against all forms of logic! LOL.

• I don't know why anyone would get a half pint, either, especially of Guinness!

The older folks need to tutor the young ones.

• Upon recommendation from some West Coast Strutters, I have spent the better part of my summer drinking mexican beer over ice with a lime, and I love it.

not for all seasons, but I ain't ashamed, and I ain't going back.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    SNAP!

Yeah people is trippin' out here, I don't drink beer, stictly clear spirits for me...

So first day at work, some dude comes in and he's like "half a pint of lager", so i grab a pint glass and fill it halfway (my pouring skills wasn't that dope, so there was a bit of a large head on that shit). Son looked at me all crazy... I'm like you ordered a half pint right? He's like, yeah! I pointed to the glass and said, Pint glass, half full, sorry about the head (no homo). Dude didn't seem happy but still paid.

I figured out after talking with my mates there's half pint glasses. They still clown me and come in the bar ordering half pints just to piss me off, I still pour them in the pint glasses for them...

People here are asses with their beer, everyone has a certain way they want the beer poured. Get over it, drink it, buy another and tip me batchez...

What's up with the ladies wanting a little razzle dazzle to spice things up, It freaks me out they want soda or 7-up in that shit, let alone the freaks that want some lemon cordial in their Coronas....

It's become common place that people want a glass of Ice with their bottled beers, that I just do it automatically now... WATERED DOWN PISS WATER.

ehhhh... whatever tickles your fancy.

• Options
    WTF! UK heads plaese to discuss and explain. I love the beer in the UK. REAL beer. I stayed in Kilburn Park in London for a while and would hit the pubs every night. Drank MAD pints with all the locals and it was all good.
    What is going on over there now? Fools are drinking beer on ice? Pouring beer over ice cubes and drinking it? What is the deal with these "half pints?" A half pint glass? WHO in the UK is drinking a half pint of beer? I rolled with some champion level drunks when I was there. I NEVER saw a "half pint." I bet they don't drink half pints in Ireland. The hommie DJ Sheep said that some broad came into a pub where he was in Edinburgh and ordered a "Razzle Dazzle." WTF! LOL. I guess this is a pint of lager with room left in the top of the pint glass. It is then topped off with lemon lime soda or something like that. Really, what the hell is going on.

Chanistan, you are one of the main folks in the world who I have to bend an elbow with before I pass on.

WTF! UK heads plaese to discuss and explain. I love the beer in the UK. REAL beer. I stayed in Kilburn Park in London for a while and would hit the pubs every night. Drank MAD pints with all the locals and it was all good.
    What is going on over there now? Fools are drinking beer on ice? Pouring beer over ice cubes and drinking it? What is the deal with these "half pints?" A half pint glass? WHO in the UK is drinking a half pint of beer? I rolled with some champion level drunks when I was there. I NEVER saw a "half pint." I bet they don't drink half pints in Ireland. The hommie DJ Sheep said that some broad came into a pub where he was in Edinburgh and ordered a "Razzle Dazzle." WTF! LOL. I guess this is a pint of lager with room left in the top of the pint glass. It is then topped off with lemon lime soda or something like that. Really, what the hell is going on.

Chanistan, you are one of the main folks in the world who I have to bend an elbow with before I pass on.

Same here big hommie! I'll be in NYC for a week next month. We will mos def have to meet up for drinks.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Upon recommendation from some West Coast Strutters, I have spent the better part of my summer drinking mexican beer over ice with a lime, and I love it.

You're going to take beer-related advice from so-cal beach dudes???

Upon recommendation from some West Coast Strutters, I have spent the better part of my summer drinking mexican beer over ice with a lime, and I love it.

LOL! I'm sayin'.

• Upon recommendation from some West Coast Strutters, I have spent the better part of my summer drinking mexican beer over ice with a lime, and I love it.

It was Dollar Bin, and some Bay area folks, who seem to run shit up in here...Figured i drink it fast enough it can't get any MORE watered down.

Watering down watered down beer

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

I have no idea who that advice came from, but they were certainly not representative of most of the folks I know down here that actually know how to drink beer.

• sergserg 682 Posts

it's called a chelada, miller is trying to sell a bottled version with their lame lime beer shit. Budweiser also makes a version with clamato which is horrible. I don't drink that shit and with some of my friends chelada has become synonymous with wack. Traditionally it was a darker mexican beer but fools are doing that shit with fucking coronas and shit.

• Ehh...wack or no, it is refreshing...Hell, even my wife can get down with that.

On another topic I'm sure I'll catch hell for, I'm really into white wine and rose in the summer; but, when i'm down to get drunk, i'm not above mixing some cheap, dry white wine with sparkling water and a lime to make white wine spritzer.

Bring the motherfucking pain, folls. I'm drunk; I can take it.

• Oh, and fuck Miller Chill, Tequiza, et mofucking al.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    On a sidenote.

My mate was doing the bar when english fols entered and ordered ten beers. After inspecting the 2 inch "collar", bigmouth smashed the glass on the floor shouting "I disnae want a fecking icecream cone"

Lovely chaps.

it's called a chelada, miller is trying to sell a bottled version with their lame lime beer shit. Budweiser also makes a version with clamato which is horrible. I don't drink that shit and with some of my friends chelada has become synonymous with wack. Traditionally it was a darker mexican beer but fools are doing that shit with fucking coronas and shit.

I fucks with not the chelada but the pinchelada. That's a corona with a gang of tabasco sauce poured in it.

I had the chelada miller makes I can only find that shit in the Dominican part of the BX, they don't sell that shit out in Brooklyn.

• On a sidenote.

My mate was doing the bar when english fols entered and ordered ten beers. After inspecting the 2 inch "collar", bigmouth smashed the glass on the floor shouting "I disnae want a fecking icecream cone"

Lovely chaps.

Judging by his accent he was Scottish not English.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Chan, I dunno about drinking beer over ice - definitely not for me, and I've certainly not noticed it in London recently - but over the last few years, there's been a trend towards drinking bottled sweet cider like Magners or Bulmers over ice. It's been pretty heavily marketed by the breweries as a "fashionable" summer drink, and it's proving popular with both men and women. My younger brother used to drink bottled Holsten pilsner over ice at one time, which I found a little strange, but this was back in the day when he'd go on regular all-day sessions, so I guess this was a way to keep drinking without getting too drunk early on.

The half-pint thing is a different matter. It used to be considered an appropriate measure for women a long time ago, when it wasn't considered feminine for women to drink beer, but all the women I know who drink beer nowaday go for either bottles or pints. There's actually quite a famous pub in Soho called the French House which doesn't serve pints at all. It got its name after it became a popular hangout for officials of the French government-in-exile (including Charles de Gaulle) and the Resistance during WWII. The painter Francis Bacon used to drink there, too. Anyway, I was told when I was in there once that the reason they only serve half-pints is because, when lager was first introduced to the UK, it was bottled rather than on draught, so they embraced, and stuck to, the continental way of serving it; cold and in a chilled half-pint glass. The idea was that it would then stay cold to the bottom. Because it was traditionally served in halves lager was, for a long time, not considered a particularly masculine drink either. Another thing about the French House is that they also don't serve pints so's to discourage the kind of clientele that drink 'em. Most of the people who drink there seem to be arty locals who've lived in Soho for decades and who prefer wine or spirits.

I've never heard of a "Razzle Dazzle", but then the sweaties are a law unto themselves when it comes to booze. That sounds like an old-fashioned lager-and-lime (more popular in the 1970s than now), or a lager top (pint with a splash of lemonade in the top).

• No beer over ice round these parts.

But still suckas having cider over ice, they have been totally succed in by the marketing man.
    Fools didn???t even drink cider and now they are buying it because they saw an advert about having cider with ice, whoopie do!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Yeah, I thought the 'Razzle Dazzle' sounded like a lager and lime, but the UK also has the shandy - half beer, half lemonade.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yeah, I thought the 'Razzle Dazzle' sounded like a lager and lime, but the UK also has the shandy - half beer, half lemonade.

I think 'the shandy' is available throughout Europe where ever larger is sold.

Personally, I think I'm becoming a 'girl drink drunk'.

On the half pint issue, there's a pub near where I used to live, that sells a locally brewed cider that they can only legally sell in half-pint measures.

Good things can come in small packages.

• ahahha..beer over ice? Get the fuck outta here...

• ice beer is what all the older heads drink in hawaii -- bugged me out at first, but i stopped caring.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

Chan, I dunno about drinking beer over ice - definitely not for me, and I've certainly not noticed it in London recently - but over the last few years, there's been a trend towards drinking bottled sweet cider like Magners or Bulmers over ice. It's been pretty heavily marketed by the breweries as a "fashionable" summer drink, and it's proving popular with both men and women. My younger brother used to drink bottled Holsten pilsner over ice at one time, which I found a little strange, but this was back in the day when he'd go on regular all-day sessions, so I guess this was a way to keep drinking without getting too drunk early on.

A couple of pints of cider over ice are great to hit the day after a heavy night on the booze. They are cool, sweet and refreshing and don't taste like the night before. Its just a more pleasent way to get that alcholic boost you need to ease out of a rough hangover.

The half-pint thing is a different matter. It used to be considered an appropriate measure for women a long time ago, when it wasn't considered feminine for women to drink beer, but all the women I know who drink beer nowaday go for either bottles or pints. There's actually quite a famous pub in Soho called the French House which doesn't serve pints at all. It got its name after it became a popular hangout for officials of the French government-in-exile (including Charles de Gaulle) and the Resistance during WWII. The painter Francis Bacon used to drink there, too. Anyway, I was told when I was in there once that the reason they only serve half-pints is because, when lager was first introduced to the UK, it was bottled rather than on draught, so they embraced, and stuck to, the continental way of serving it; cold and in a chilled half-pint glass. The idea was that it would then stay cold to the bottom. Because it was traditionally served in halves lager was, for a long time, not considered a particularly masculine drink either. Another thing about the French House is that they also don't serve pints so's to discourage the kind of clientele that drink 'em. Most of the people who drink there seem to be arty locals who've lived in Soho for decades and who prefer wine or spirits.

Interesting.

In the state of Victoria in AUS, the "half pint" or "pot" is pretty much the pub standard size for drinking most beers (except guiness). Drinking pots isn't a sign of weakness[/b]. You end up drinking the same amount, but your beer stays colder because it spends less time sitting in the glass getting warm. Also the pot encourages more communal drinking as homies get a couple of jugs of beer, bring to the table and you get largered with your mates instead of getting largered in the line waiting for the next drink. Also its easier to get rounds this way.

• Interesting.

In the state of Victoria in AUS, the "half pint" or "pot" is pretty much the pub standard size for drinking most beers (except guiness). Drinking pots isn't a sign of weakness[/b]. You end up drinking the same amount, but your beer stays colder because it spends less time sitting in the glass getting warm. Also the pot encourages more communal drinking as homies get a couple of jugs of beer, bring to the table and you get largered with your mates instead of getting largered in the line waiting for the next drink. Also its easier to get rounds this way.

Agreed, especially in summer when you are drinking outdoors. A pot (1/2 pint) gets warm before you finish it on a 38C/100F degree day let alone a pint. As far as the UK goes i've always understood pint to be the standard size, but the 1/2 pint as not that out of the ordinary.

at least you don't have to deal with this!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_beer#Beer_Glasses

Interesting.

Agreed, especially in summer when you are drinking outdoors. A pot (1/2 pint) gets warm before you finish it on a 38C/100F degree day let alone a pint. As far as the UK goes i've always understood pint to be the standard size, but the 1/2 pint as not that out of the ordinary.

at least you don't have to deal with this!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_beer#Beer_Glasses

God damn! LOL. I would need help just ordering a glass of beer down there!

• Yeah it can get a bit tricky, especially because if you ask for the wrong thing you often get some serious action. And ordering "a beer" is only going to get you a blank look.

Yeah it can get a bit tricky, especially because if you ask for the wrong thing you often get some serious action. And ordering "a beer" is only going to get you a blank look.

Comedy. I have to order a "Lager" and order it in the correct glass right?