i came up! (record karma related)

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
While digging around in a friendly local store i recently discovered, the owner told me he recently bought three boxes of soul 45's. After a little bit of nagging the boxes openened, so i got comfortable and pulled out a stack of 45's. The record on top? An unplayed copy of Third Guitar's "Baby don't cry" on Rojac. And now for the surprising part: without hesitation i got up and handed the 45 to the owner telling him next months rent on the store had just been paid Then reality kicked in and i realised i also could've just bought the thing for a few euros and sold it myself. . I received some free 45s (prince buster on islam, hippy boys on gay time, a couple of titles on wand) and lps (jean leccia interpolation, bill withers on sussex). My current state of mind: b/w "this way the record store might be able to stay open longer and ill have a nice place to hang out and dig".

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'm a firm believer in record karma. i've given things to friends even though i wanted them, and come up on entire collections the next day.

kinda feels good, dunnit?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    wow... i don't know what to say. i would have paid him a decent price. but letting it go. very brave. i would have been crying by now

• That store must have some cheap rent! Hopefully that karma thing will work out for you, sincerely. If that's me opening those boxes I'm stone faced. No emotion.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    that happened to me recently - except I gave the guy $75 for 3rd Guitar & walked away with everyone happy.

---

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I'm firm in this.It's good to do things like that.Whenever I send out Parcels,I ALWAYS(well I try to) throw in extra stuff or If I cannot simply afford something that they have(or unaware of what they have), I let them know and give them options on how to get it out in the market.

It's excellent record karma and yes..sometimes the stone face plays into effect(usually with people that are pricks).

Good karma for you, bad karma for the assholes!

• Hopefully that karma thing will work out for you, sincerely. If that's me opening those boxes I'm stone faced. No emotion.

I've seen it! it's not pretty....

me....I like to shoot em a nice smile while I'm handing him the $5...you know..keep it light! haha...I actually did something similar with a record store in the east bay...which subsequently closed....gave him a bunch of tips on shit I didn't want/need...that was worth money and that he got quite paid on....he let me dig wherever in the store...backroom....behind the counter...new shit that just came in...it all worked out in the end....(but, your's is a much better story

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Congratulations, Red Clay!!

That was a big dude's move right there.

• well, that's nice and I'm sure it will come back.
    Keep your eye out for some

Just another question:
    would anybody act the same way if this happens on an "e-digging trip" at an online record shop?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    That's an honorable thing to have done, man. It's so easy to think strictly for self in a record store. I hope the owner appreciates the huge lookout you gave him!

"e-digging trip"