80's Style Funk

TeeReynoldsTeeReynolds 65 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
When I used to dig a lot more I would only mess with 70's funk and soul and psychedelic rock. But I was recently turned on again to the 80's funk, the type that appears on those Thump Records compilations etc. I think what it was is that usually the covers on the eighties records repelled the typical digger, all pink and sparkly like your grandma's romance novels.I recently copped a mix cd of 'rare 80's funk' from this guy Mr. Groove on myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=184912965 . These ones stood out let me know if you feel them or have similar joints you would recommend.Tonight - KleeerHappy Feeling - C.O.L. CrewBaby Not Tonite - MadagascarFunky Size - Ameega (made more recently, in 80's style though)Shine Your Light - ConfunkshunStomp - BlissEase Out - Mid AirFeel My Love - Vaughn MasonSome others:LJ Reynolds - Trust In MeD Train - You're The One For Me

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You need all four volumes of Jake One's "AR Music" mix cds ASAP. Those joints are C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!!!!!!!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    we more or less just had a thread about this, like, 2 days ago.

80s are back

• Word?

Yeah as you can tell I'm a noob homie. But yeah I like a lot of that 80's shit like I mentioned but I'm not in love with ALL 80's shit u know? I'll look for that thread

No doubt I will check for those Jake One cd's he is the producer from Boom Bap Project?

Word?

Yeah as you can tell I'm a noob homie. But yeah I like a lot of that 80's shit like I mentioned but I'm not in love with ALL 80's shit u know? I'll look for that thread

No doubt I will check for those Jake One cd's he is the producer from Boom Bap Project?

Yep. And 50, Young Buck, G-Unit, E-40, De La, etc. Jake got them slaps for days.

• Ozone
    Zoom
    Klymaxx
    Mary Jane Girls
    Sade
    Cameo

Ozone
    Zoom
    Klymaxx
    Mary Jane Girls
    Sade
    Cameo

Sade? Sade is on a whole different level mayne. I don't think I would ever consider Sade as "Funk" like the other groups you listed. Sade is one of my all time favorite groups, but not "Funk."

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Ozone
    Zoom
    Klymaxx
    Mary Jane Girls
    Sade
    Cameo

Sade? Sade is on a whole different level mayne. I don't think I would ever consider Sade as "Funk" like the other groups you listed. Sade is one of my all time favorite groups, but not "Funk." [/quote

Yeah, she's more Razzle Dazzle than funk, thats for sure...

Ozone
    Zoom
    Klymaxx
    Mary Jane Girls
    Sade
    Cameo

Sade? Sade is on a whole different level mayne. I don't think I would ever consider Sade as "Funk" like the other groups you listed. Sade is one of my all time favorite groups, but not "Funk." [/quote

Yeah, she's more Razzle Dazzle than funk, thats for sure...

LOL! Oh shit. Bevan, you are a FOOL for that one! "Razzle Dazzle" You are gonna have me laughing all night with that one son. I'm gonna be telling the drunk salary men at the sushi bar tonight " Yo, that cell phone is Razzle Dazzle." Hope you're doing good hommie. You and J-Zone need to get out here.

Dude I got onto Supreme, it might happen.

If it does, expect me to bust into the local dollar store for some razzle dazzle...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sade isnt Funk.

BUT

Turn My Back On You....ill challenge anyone to say that aint Funk.

Sade has a great interview where she clearly states that she and her band were listening to FONK for inspiration.

Nothing Can Come Between Us.

Paul Denman has got some ole hot 80's Basslines.

Imm not in front of my collectron right now but ill come back w/ some examples of how Sade taps into the FUNK!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Prince
    Dazz Band
    Defunkt
    Maze
    Earth Wind & Fire
    Rick James
    Shalamar
    Nucleus

• Hey all , my first post here.

Not shure if this following link has ever been mentioned before on this forum :

http://justanotherfunk.blogspot.com/

Contains much scans + downloads of complete albums.
    It previously was a free-acces-for-evryone-blog but requires registration now.

Peace ,
    Dazzle

Hey all , my first post here.

Not shure if this following link has ever been mentioned before on this forum :

http://justanotherfunk.blogspot.com/

Contains much scans + downloads of complete albums.
    It previously was a free-acces-for-evryone-blog but requires registration now.

Peace ,
    Dazzle

Dazzle,

Are you from the UK and is your first name Razzle? Just wondering. Welcome to the board.

Chan

• You need all four volumes of Jake One's "AR Music" mix cds ASAP. Those joints are C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!!!!!!!!

Where can one cop these? I tried asking around on the boards before with no luck..anyone?

• go to my blog www.playin4keeps.blogspot.com for shit like this.....deep disco/boogie etc.
    theres a few mixes up + some edits that are out of print.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    go to my blog www.playin4keeps.blogspot.com for shit like this.....deep disco/boogie etc.
    Damn, there's some heat on this blog.
    Thanks for the link/music.

Channing, please to bring me Jake One CDs to NYC

bev

Channing, please to bring me Jake One CDs to NYC

bev

I got you hommie. I will bring you the AR music joints.

• go to my blog www.playin4keeps.blogspot.com for shit like this.....deep disco/boogie etc.
    Damn, there's some heat on this blog.

Thanks for the link/music.

thanks...ill be putting up some more treats this week, some live recordings etc.

oh yea...amir and i are playing at rebel in nyc 2night w/ babu...party called hit the decks.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    go to my blog www.playin4keeps.blogspot.com for shit like this.....deep disco/boogie etc.

loving some of these mixes! right on!

• Dazzle,

Are you from the UK and is your first name Razzle? Just wondering. Welcome to the board.

Chan
    Hey Chan ,
    Thanx for your shout-out.
    I'm from The Netherlands.

Yep , i'm a lucky chap who's parents named me like that.