HAS ANYBODY HEARD THESE ALBUMS?

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Couple of LP's I've seen off and on for years but still didn't feel like laying my money down for just yet...thought I'd ask the Soul Strut Collective what they think:Black Mass - Lucifer (Uni)[/b]Looks to be some kind of psychedelic/occult thing...but then the composer/arranger Mort Garson is the only person credited, which leads me to believe this might be kinda loungey, like those zodiac albums you always see. How's this sound? Any good?Fur Coats & Blue Jeans - Deirdre McCalla (Calla) [/b]These days, McCalla (who is likely the label owner's daughter) is well-known in lesbian folk music circles. But back in 1973, in her late teens, she released this LP, her first. From the looks of it, I'm assuming this is folk-soul ala Terry Callier or Bill Withers. Again, any thoughts on this one?Thanks in advance!P.S. IF EITHER ONE OF THESE ALBUMS HAS A BREAKBEAT, I DO NOT CARE...TALK ABOUT THE MUSIC, PLEASE!! THANKS AGAIN![/b]

Comments

• i have the black mass lucifer album. i really really like it. it's in the same vein as mort's electronic hair pieces album. moog with light instrumentation. i would classify it as a moog/electronic album nobraeks/nofunky. peace, stein. . .

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i have the black mass lucifer album. i really really like it. it's in the same vein as mort's electronic hair pieces album. moog with light instrumentation. i would classify it as a moog/electronic album nobraeks/nofunky. peace, stein. . .

BUT IS IT RAER?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    i have the black mass lucifer album. i really really like it. it's in the same vein as mort's electronic hair pieces album. moog with light instrumentation. i would classify it as a moog/electronic album nobraeks/nofunky. peace, stein. . .

BUT IS IT RAER?

It's raer to find in any other shape than destroyed. It is pretty solid imo.

• i have the black mass lucifer album. i really really like it. it's in the same vein as mort's electronic hair pieces album. moog with light instrumentation. i would classify it as a moog/electronic album nobraeks/nofunky. peace, stein. . .

BUT IS IT RAER?

the rarest...

or more likely...kinda rare...in great condition.. (VG++ or better)...not sure why, but I always see them kinda banged up...I have another album by him...private press...pretty odd/cool...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

P.S. IF EITHER ONE OF THESE ALBUMS HAS A BREAKBEAT, I DO NOT CARE...TALK ABOUT THE MUSIC, PLEASE!! THANKS AGAIN![/b]

I know I'm a relative NOOB, but does anyone really even talk about breaks on here?

• P.S. IF EITHER ONE OF THESE ALBUMS HAS A BREAKBEAT, I DO NOT CARE...TALK ABOUT THE MUSIC, PLEASE!! THANKS AGAIN![/b]

I know I'm a relative NOOB, but does anyone really even talk about breaks on here?

I haven't seen it lately, but I thought I'd add that disclaimer just to be on the safe side.

BUT IS IT RAER?

I actually have seen clean, cheap copies, but it was usually the reissue on MCA (can't believe they kept it in print that long), very seldom the OG on Uni. The MCA version doesn't have the gatefold cover...

• The MCA version has ill drama stabz though....

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

BUT IS IT RAER?

I actually have seen clean, cheap copies, but it was usually the reissue on MCA (can't believe they kept it in print that long), very seldom the OG on Uni. The MCA version doesn't have the gatefold cover...

i have a minty mca issue.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I have the MCA issue of Black Mass as well, it's a cool album. Then again, I like Tangerine Dream so I have a high tolerance level for this kind of stuff.

• I think Paycheck had a copy of Black Mass at his shop, or if not, another shop in the area had a copy some months ago. I needle dropped and was not impressed. I thought it was going to be more psychadelic but it wasn't, its a moog record with a satanic mass spoken/sung over it, heavy on the cheese.

• The MCA version has ill drama stabz though....

???

• This is another great Mort Garson LP:

Electronic musical impressions of the occult ... that should sell you on it right there. But it is genuinely a great album to listen to.

Try listening to it while watching the Holy Mountain. Did that serendipitously a few years ago and thought the two matched perfectly (moodwise).

• Now that I think about it I do have the black mass lucifer one. Mine's in fine shape. I don't really remember too much about it, which maybe makes it forgettable? I would have to listen to it again though, don't take my word for it.

• Dizzy I missed your call last night..jsut saw my cell phone...whuusssup

• Dizzy I missed your call last night..jsut saw my cell phone...whuusssup

Watched Zodiac last night so even had you called I would not have answered. Thats a pretty good movie.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This is another great Mort Garson LP:

Electronic musical impressions of the occult ... that should sell you on it right there. But it is genuinely a great album to listen to.

Yes. I think this surpasses the Black Mass record.
    Mort Garson was a genius who took the moog and actually played music, not just making noise or covering classical canons.

BUT IS IT RAER?

There's a gatefold out there?! I have it on Uni, but there sure isn't any gatefold on my copy.

And yeah, it's like the Zodiac records without the corny spoken word, and with a little "spookier" vibe.

BUT IS IT RAER?

There's a gatefold out there?! I have it on Uni, but there sure isn't any gatefold on my copy.

I could be wrong - I remember glancing over it when I put it on hold at the record store, and remember seeing full annotation. If it wasn't on a gatefold, then it was on the inner sleeve. I'll let you know when I buy it (and from you guys' recommendations, looks like I will - thanks, y'all).

And yeah, it's like the Zodiac records without the corny spoken word, and with a little "spookier" vibe.

Yeah, Mort Garson was also involved with the Zodiac Cosmic Sounds on Elektra. But I was referring to that whole cottage industry of zodiac records in general, which was evidently a booming business back in the Nixon years. And I'm including everything from those (presumably spoken-word and music-less) albums by Sydney Omarr and Maurice Woodruff, all the way to Cannonball Adderley's "soul zodiac" thing.