Blaxploitation Art Appreciation Thread

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
OK so I guess today isn't going to be a strictly record talk day so I feel safe in introducing this thread.I am a major fan of the artwork shown on many blaxploitation posters and album covers. Over the weekend MyLatency and I picked up a few Mexican posters from some Jim Brown/ Pam Grier Movie and I grabbed another mexican movie poster for the film Savage.My room is adorned with blaxploitation art and under one of my secret ebay names you can catch me doing nothng but bidding for original prints of these works of art. I think its time we give these things a little appreiation

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Simply Beautiful.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    a few Mexican posters from some Jim Brown/ Pam Grier Movie

BUCKTOWN. Or is that CIUDAD DEL D??LAR?

BTW I've got some blaxploitation lobby cards & posters I can trade. Holler.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    awsome thread... i have a very similar passion...

Attached files

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This book--unfortunately out of print--reproduces a bunch of different blaxploitation era posters and also features interviews with some of the actors, directors, producers and poster artists involved with those films. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786883774/qid=1119902585/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-0537326-3001604

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This book--unfortunately out of print--reproduces a bunch of different blaxploitation era posters and also features interviews with some of the actors, directors, producers and poster artists involved with those films. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786883774/qid=1119902585/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-0537326-3001604

That's a good book.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    a few Mexican posters from some Jim Brown/ Pam Grier Movie

BUCKTOWN. Or is that CIUDAD DEL D??LAR?

BTW I've got some blaxploitation lobby cards & posters I can trade. Holler.

No it wasn't Bucktown. The title had the number "3" in it but it couldn't be 3 the hard way cause Pam wasn't in that.

I'll tkae a photo when I get home.

Meanwhile we need more pictures!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Anybody in the UK (or elsewhere for that matter) attend this as of yet?

http://blackworld.bfi.org.uk/

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Dope posters Jinx! Thanks for sharing those.

• Yeah that book that F. Realz suggested is top notch. Tons of stuff I'd never seen before in there alongside all the classics.

And now, on a somewhat related note...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yeah that book that F. Realz suggested is top notch. Tons of stuff I'd never seen before in there alongside all the classics.

Did you make this?

do you take requests?

I got a couple Franklins for you if you can flip me one of Pootie Tang

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

That's REAL nice, anyone got one of these for trade?

• Man that ain't art! Graffiti is TRUE art, Dudes who do posters don't take any risk for there art! So stay on your computer with your clipfarts cause that's all it is, you just gassin yourself about this garbage! Exploting the African American's is a no no! BRONX REPA!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    hahaha... that shit was funny... i likeded it best when you spelt things wrong and was using ebonics and shit... made you seem even more ignorant than usual... that was awesome dunny...

• Did you make this?

how i wish...

they're from ghana. there used to be a whole website with images but i can't find it. luckily i kept those two on my computer. check that book out though!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    file under: when youre so broke you cant even afford a 9$ poster reprint.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    anyone into bollywood poster art? i'l admit, the brownies are notorious for biting, from the blaxploitation kinda thing and sound in soundtracks, to hollywood remakes, but there is some dopeness in that...but bollywood poster art is godamn ill...the fact that its all artwork and not just some bullsheit photoshop filter kills it for me

this site is a godamn goldmine...i'm gonna take as many of the pics i can, assemble them side by side into a gigantic colorful montage poster for myself

^do the thug, do the thug, do the thug!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Whoa ??? down, kitty, down!

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    Anybody in the UK (or elsewhere for that matter) attend this as of yet?

http://blackworld.bfi.org.uk/

yeah I went to the premiere of Badassss with a couple of peeps from work. Melvin and Mario did a little talk about the film before hand, it was kinda hard to understand Mario as he was mumbling with a cigar in his mouth. Pretty interesting film about how Sweet Sweetback came into being.

There's a couple of other things I wanted to see PE in concert (london I think), and the old Bad Meaning Good documentry (with intro from David Toop). Would've been cool to see them on the big screen but I rarely get out of work before 8pm )-:

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

yeah, I have it and I agree.....it's highly recommended........

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

for those not fortunate enough to own this here are some of my faves from the book:

it's always frusturating to me that these beautiful images exist but for almost all blaxpo dvd & vhs packaging they use some plain shit. if you've seen the gordon's war box art you know what i'm talking about.

Attached files

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    Yeah that book that F. Realz suggested is top notch. Tons of stuff I'd never seen before in there alongside all the classics.

Did you make this?

do you take requests?

I got a couple Franklins for you if you can flip me one of Pootie Tang

van dam,

that ghana poster book is the SHITTTTTTT. i first checked it out at my guy's video store. the whole book is facemelting. my favorites are the romantic comedies and lightweight movies like splash. they tear splash up. also they have all these weird sequels and stuff that i never heard of, like children of the corn III, which the poster shows a woman's head being split open with an axe over a cornfield. ridiculous. also in the book they show the "theaters" where these movies were shown in ghana. usually a hut with dirt floors and no ceilings. i just imagine like 50 africans piled into a hut watching "splash" or "rambo 6"

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    easily my favorite peice of blaxploitation art.

Attached files

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Speaking of Blaxploitation movies, I must admit I've never seen ANY of them - though I own a couple soundtracks or just know some kuts here and there, I just never took the time to rent one or buy one. So strutters, is there any you would recommend, like a top 5 of blaxploitation movies.......

The Mack and Coffy sit at the top of the list for me, just as movies.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    BLACK CAESAR
    WILLY DYNAMITE
    BLACULA
    ALL PAM GREIRS
    most of 'em a very entertaining although there are some real stinkers.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Superfly and Shaft have gotta be in the Top 5.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Speaking of Blaxploitation movies, I must admit I've never seen ANY of them - though I own a couple soundtracks or just know some kuts here and there, I just never took the time to rent one or buy one. So strutters, is there any you would recommend, like a top 5 of blaxploitation movies.......

Eric,

You needs to talk to me about this if your serious about learning on this genre. I got a pretty nice library of this stuff at home and could definitly open your eyes to some of the better stuff, or even some of the really bad stuff thats so bad its good.

One of my alltime favorite films, regardless of genre, is Cooley High. Not exactly a blaxploitation film but it does come from that era. as far as textbook blaxploitation goes I'd reccomend the Tommy Gibbs films (Black Caesar & Hell Up In Harlem). Superfly is dope, as is Detroit 9000, and for Pam Grier her pinnacle is Foxy Brown.

and for Pam Grier her pinnacle is Foxy Brown.
    Guzzo, I know you know your shit when it comes to these movies, but seriously? Foxy Brown just doesn't do it for me, at all.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    and for Pam Grier her pinnacle is Foxy Brown.

Guzzo, I know you know your shit when it comes to these movies, but seriously? Foxy Brown just doesn't do it for me, at all.

well truth be told all Pam Grier movies from her days with Roger Corman up to the late 70's are filled with such cheese. None of them really are "good cinema" and need to be watched in that perspective. She seems to be the queen of blaxploition to most though so when Blaxploitation films are mentioned I always feel I gotta cite her.

On a semi-related note has anyone seen the film Blackjack? I got the movie poster at home and have tried to track down the film but it has such a generic name that I'm never sure if the film I've found is the actual late 70's movie I'm really after. Anyone know how I might be able to obtain this here in Los Angeles?