The Detroit Night Riders on Mutt

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone have any info or can they point me in a direction with this band/ Motown subsidiary label?

Comments

• What do you want to know?

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    For openers, this isn't a Motown subsidiary.

i'm not able to find much about the band itself.

what's up with mutt records then? other than the fact it was located on michigan avenue in inkster? was nate dore the sole owner? any help is much appreciated.

• And technically not even a Detroit label. The imprint was based out of Inkster Michigan, and owned I believe by Nate Dore. There's a lot of good stuff on the label from funk to soul to garage. Fred Bridges played a hand in the production of at least a few of the more memorable soul records on the label. I seem to remember there being some connection between Mutt and the Tay-Ster label as well.

The Detroit Night Riders record is actually surprisingly tough to come by in the city, but it's one of those records that had good initial distribution and was bought in bulk by the British, so you can find copies for pretty cheap.

• For openers, this isn't a Motown subsidiary.

noted.

• And technically not even a Detroit label. The imprint was based out of Inkster Michigan, and owned I believe by Nate Dore. There's a lot of good stuff on the label from funk to soul to garage. Fred Bridges played a hand in the production of at least a few of the more memorable soul records on the label. I seem to remember there being some connection between Mutt and the Tay-Ster label as well.

The Detroit Night Riders record is actually surprisingly tough to come by in the city, but it's one of those records that had good initial distribution and was bought in bulk by the British, so you can find copies for pretty cheap.

thanks for the input. i do own "getting funky", just trying to find a bit more info on the label and what these guys were all about.

i'm not able to find much about the band itself.

what's up with mutt records then? other than the fact it was located on michigan avenue in inkster? was nate dore the sole owner? any help is much appreciated.

I don't know much about who was in the group, but I'd wager that Chuck Middleton (AKA Chuck-a-Luck) was involved. I don't have the record in front of me, so I can't confirm any names.

thanks for the input. i do own "getting funky", just trying to find a bit more info on the label and what these guys were all about.

Lots of good stuff on the label. Besides the Detroit Night Riders and Jake Wade 45s, there are good records by Carol Jones, the Sophisticates (personal favorite), the Majjestees (sic), Milton Harris, etc. Haven't heard too many of the rock records on the label, but what I have hears was rather unremarkable.

• anyone know if there are two different versions of the majestee's 45? my copy is spelled majestee's while i've seen others spelled with two j's like majjestee's? i know there's two different pressings of the carol jones, any idea if there's two versions of the majestee's? by the way it's a great record, love the song let her go, by the way i think there's info on the mutt label on the soulful detroit website.

• anyone know if there are two different versions of the majestee's 45? my copy is spelled majestee's while i've seen others spelled with two j's like majjestee's? i know there's two different pressings of the carol jones, any idea if there's two versions of the majestee's? by the way it's a great record, love the song let her go, by the way i think there's info on the mutt label on the soulful detroit website.

Hmmm. I don't think I've ever seen a copy with only one 'j'. Here's a link to a clip of "Take Back All Those Things" from a copy with two 'js'. Might be worth comparing it to your own.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Nate Dore who owned Mutt was a bail bondsman with an office in Inkster - the label was run out of the office - there was a recording studio in the back - a studio in a bail bonds office...if that ain't hard-as-fuck I don't know what is!

I talked to Milt Harris( who later produced the Prepostions/Propositions on his 'Movement' label) - he did some songwriting & arranging work at Mutt - he did a record on Johnny Wellington called 'Paper Heart' & released his own solo 45 'She's Hurting Me' - I asked him about the Carol Jones situtation - i.e why did they record & release 4 different versions of her record? he said the label owner may have had a thing for Ms Jones & was also convinced that her record was going to break thru & get some airplay & sales, so they kept re-doing it over & over, they'd press it up & then he'd decide that it needed some more work & they'd recut a new version with string overdubs, faster tempo, slower tempo etc.

---

• Nate Dore who owned Mutt was a bail bondsman with an office in Inkster - the label was run out of the office - there was a recording studio in the back - a studio in a bail bonds office...if that ain't hard-as-fuck I don't know what is!

---

Now this, I did not know. Talk about next level.

Do you know if Dore was personally invested in all of the releases? Or did he rent the studio out and press up recordings for anyone that showed up with a stack of cash? I wonder if there were any bounty hunters that used fugitives to finance their recording careers. The mind doth boggle.

I think they would record & release anyone who would pay - like that Apollis(sic?) 'trees' 45 that's some strange operatic singing? the Gundella witchcraft lp was another Mutt production/recording.

re: rock on Mutt - there's a garage 45 by "The Ruins" & that Little Leon 45 - also 2 45s by the Dale Jones Trio

Bob still has the invoice that shows how many of each Mutt record he got when they were tearing the place down - he said he almost bought the recording equipment but someone had stripped out all the tubes.

I keep thinking somebody here in town should do something on a Mutt comp, I've about had it with these out of towners cruising thru, contracts in hand, whipping together a cd & getting all the glory & cheddar

---

• I think they would record & release anyone who would pay - like that Apollis(sic?) 'trees' 45 that's some strange operatic singing? the Gundella witchcraft lp was another Mutt production/recording.

That's sorta what I figured. I forgot the Gundella lp was on Mutt. That record kind of gives me the creeps. Not the whichcraft aspect of it, but Gundella herself.

re: rock on Mutt - there's a garage 45 by "The Ruins" & that Little Leon 45 - also 2 45s by the Dale Jones Trio

Yeah, the Ruins 45 is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't heard it though. Little Leon is okay from what I remember. I've only heard one of the Dale Jones 45s ("Plastic Robot" maybe?), and it was kinda 'ehh'.

I keep thinking somebody here in town should do something on a comp, I've about had it with these out of towners crusing in here for an overnight visit, whipping together a label comp & getting all the glory & cheddar

---

major cosignature on that sentiment.

Nothing beats the glory & cheddar of a soul reissue label.

• I think they would record & release anyone who would pay - like that Apollis(sic?) 'trees' 45 that's some strange operatic singing? the Gundella witchcraft lp was another Mutt production/recording.

That's sorta what I figured. I forgot the Gundella lp was on Mutt. That record kind of gives me the creeps. Not the whichcraft aspect of it, but Gundella herself.
    word.

I keep thinking somebody here in town should do something on a comp, I've about had it with these out of towners crusing in here for an overnight visit, whipping together a label comp & getting all the glory & cheddar

---

major cosignature on that sentiment.

You two dudes need to stop playin' and get it together.

Actually, I think the A****s should put together a comp. Call it Anders*n & Anders*n or some sh!t.

THATS WHAT IM SAYOING DAWG!@

these reissue muthafuckaz are living high on the hog, fucking mercedes benz paid for off east of undeground shit.

Hmmm. I don't think I've ever seen a copy with only one 'j'. Here's a link to a clip of "Take Back All Those Things" from a copy with two 'js'. Might be worth comparing it to your own.

i'd check but i'm not seeing any link

oops...

http://www.northernsoul45s.co.uk/product_detail.asp?id=6650

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    anyone know if there are two different versions of the majestee's 45? my copy is spelled majestee's while i've seen others spelled with two j's like majjestee's? i know there's two different pressings of the carol jones, any idea if there's two versions of the majestee's? by the way it's a great record, love the song let her go, by the way i think there's info on the mutt label on the soulful detroit website.

This 45 features a very young Angelo Bond. According to Bond the group's name was actually the Majestics.

• everything sounded and looked the same, the only difference with my copy is that majestee's is only spelled with one j

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I keep thinking somebody here in town should do something on a Mutt comp, I've about had it with these out of towners cruising thru, contracts in hand, whipping together a cd & getting all the glory & cheddar
    ---

I agreee with Gambit ...when you guys gonna do something?

The two A*r*n* should link up and call it Ace Deuce.

• I keep thinking somebody here in town should do something on a Mutt comp, I've about had it with these out of towners cruising thru, contracts in hand, whipping together a cd & getting all the glory & cheddar
    ---

the name should be "Two Hype A****s and A Dog" and we'd have a St. Bernard with a 45 case tucked under his neck like in those old cartoons and custom made saddle bags full of Detroit LP raers and a turntable on his back. We'd wear matching Adidas tracks suits and California Angels caps. Giant ass "AA" medallions on dookie rope chains too. We'd have a pimped out Audi with a custom "AA" paint job.

Oh wait, this isn't one of my fantasy rap groups, this is about records.

Man, there are so many good reissue projects rolling around in my head but the main enemy is time and dedication. My boss and I were just talking about the economics of this type of work and I would have to believe if you are doing it legit, there can't be much $$$ in it, just satisfaction and bragging rights.

For real A****, you should get at me about a cool ass project if you got the time.

That Dusty Wilson record on Mutt is kinda good too.

MCF

• I keep thinking somebody here in town should do something on a Mutt comp, I've about had it with these out of towners cruising thru, contracts in hand, whipping together a cd & getting all the glory & cheddar
    ---

the name should be "Two Hype A****s and A Dog" and we'd have a St. Bernard with a 45 case tucked under his neck like in those old cartoons and custom made saddle bags full of Detroit LP raers and a turntable on his back. We'd wear matching Adidas tracks suits and California Angels caps. Giant ass "AA" medallions on dookie rope chains too. We'd have a pimped out Audi with a custom "AA" paint job.

Oh wait, this isn't one of my fantasy rap groups, this is about records.

Man, there are so many good reissue projects rolling around in my head but the main enemy is time and dedication. My boss and I were just talking about the economics of this type of work and I would have to believe if you are doing it legit, there can't be much $$$ in it, just satisfaction and bragging rights.

For real A****, you should get at me about a cool ass project if you got the time.

That Dusty Wilson record on Mutt is kinda good too.

MCF
    See... there it go.

No balls, no babies gentlemen.

• anyone know the reasoning behind the two different (or is it three?) versions of Carol Jones' Don't Destroy me?? I got the stringless version first, then went over the strings.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm still looking for a good copy of the Carol Jones.

I've hoped Mutt would get comped for several years now - and it appears that there's enough of an extant backstory for copious liner notes to be written.

• the name should be "Two Hype A****s and A Dog" and we'd have a St. Bernard with a 45 case tucked under his neck like in those old cartoons and custom made saddle bags full of Detroit LP raers and a turntable on his back. We'd wear matching Adidas tracks suits and California Angels caps. Giant ass "AA" medallions on dookie rope chains too. We'd have a pimped out Audi with a custom "AA" paint job.

I'm still looking for a good copy of the Carol Jones.

I've hoped Mutt would get comped for several years now - and it appears that there's enough of an extant backstory for copious liner notes to be written.

if anyone wants/needs a Carol Jones 45 PM me...

the liner notes thing is cart before the horse.

---

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Well, that was just an aside. A happy extra.

PM sent.

Well, that was just an aside. A happy extra.

PM sent.

pls empty yr message box so I can reply...

• Did anyone check out that Calvin Golden 45 for sale on page 2 of the sale classifieds section? On first listen I thought it sounded like it could be the Detroit Night Riders. Soundclip is still up...