signs you need a new needle...?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
what are some sure-fire signs your stylus is getting worn out? i cant really tell if its just my cartridge or what, but it just seems like it sounds kinda dull lately. sometimes i have problems with one channel being harsh or weird but i cant tell if thats because of the record or the needle. ive had this same needle for about...2-2.5 years now and use it daily. is it time for a new one?

Comments

• Peaking highs is always a sign for me. Maybe some audiophile experts can drop some more knowledge...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    ive had this same needle for about...2-2.5 years now and use it daily. is it time for a new one?
    Yes!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Peaking highs is always a sign for me.

yeah, put on a jazz record with some high trumpets blowing, if theres distortion in the high freqency area it might be time to go get a new needle..

• I've always been told that you should replace your stylus after about 500 hours of play - roughly every year if you use your turntable with any regularity.

I've also been told that by the time you can hear a change in sound quality, the needle is already doing damage to your records, though maybe that was just a trick to get me to buy more tips.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If you have a pair of turntables best way is to pop a new needle in one one side and put on some doubles. If you hear distortion in the old one, then you know it's time to replace it. If not, you have a spare needle for when you do need to replace it, or if one breaks.