oh snap!

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
guess I know what I am doing tonight!!!
Coming Monday, June 27!ANN PEEBLES! Monday, June 27, 2005 Ann Peebles, Hi Records artist and one of the most important soul singers in the world, brings her new Soul Acoustic international tour with her new "Dream Team" band and new brand of acoustic soul. Cabaret-Style Setting * 7-9 p.m. * Complimentary wine, beer & food $20 General Admission * FREE TO STAX MUSEUM MEMBERS.
far fuckin out! Mable John is next month!

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    She was supposed to play Joe's Pub in NY a few weeks ago, but the day of the show I checked on-line and the listing was gone. When I called the venue they said the show had been cancelled but they didn't give me a reason. Anyone know what happened?

Enjoy the show hook_up and please to report tomorrow on how it went.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, be wary - I think she cancelled the entire tour...I was going to see her in Cambridge a week and a half ago and they said she had shut down the tour...I was pretty bummed, since, if anyone saw her in "Only the Strong Survive," not only does she still look completely hot, she can still sing like a mother!

I hope you get to see her, but I wouldn't count on it...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

ANN PEEBLES!

+

Complimentary wine, beer & food

= ILL-TASTIC!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    great show! man, I cannot get over how good this woman looks and sounds. She played some older tunes(handwriting on the wall, love vibration) a couple gross covers(gulp! That Clapton "heaven" song and one of those 80s Windwood numbers) a bunch of new stuff and a nice long version of "I cant stand the rain". It was funny, there were these 2 dudes behind me and one of them said to the other "man, this shit is like some folk-funk or somethin'" and they cracked up and kept saying "folk funk" all night long...they were thinkin they just made that shit up.

Also of note was the woman I was standing next to for most of the evening, she looked really familiar. She was a sister in a head wrap and a dashiki type dress, and after the show, to confirm my theory I asked, "Ms. Thomas?" and she said, "yes, baby?" It was Carla Thomas!! I talked to her for an hour or so and she kept telling stories about playing back in the day and things, it was wonderful, I was in awe! she couldnt believe the questions I was asking about certain obscure songs and song writers like Homer Banks, when I would ask her something, she would ask me "how do you kow about that?" she was really funny and sweet. She even brought a friend of hers over to marvel at how much I looked like Rob Riener!!!??!? and then she called me "meathead" the rest of the night. Carla Thomas can clown on me all she wants.

Ann was super cool to, I got an LP autographed and she beamed at it and said "this is beautiful,oh, this is original isnt it?" and I said "Yes, mamn"

For a die-hard fan of Memphis sista soul, it was a great night to say the least!

(Also the 7 free beers were a nice touch..I heart the Stax Museum)

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    sounds like an awsome time. how packed was the show? was it easy to get up and talk to her afterwards? very cool how she was impressed with your original.

good times.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    there were maybe a 100 folks...she was mingling afterwards so it was easy to talk to her. Also met some cute, really tall girl(at least 6'1", I like tall ladies) named Rachel that works at the museum, not that anything will come of it probably, but it just added up to one of the best times I have had in memphis since I moved back.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    great show! man, I cannot get over how good this woman looks and sounds. She played some older tunes(handwriting on the wall, love vibration) a couple gross covers(gulp! That Clapton "heaven" song and one of those 80s Windwood numbers) a bunch of new stuff and a nice long version of "I cant stand the rain". It was funny, there were these 2 dudes behind me and one of them said to the other "man, this shit is like some folk-funk or somethin'" and they cracked up and kept saying "folk funk" all night long...they were thinkin they just made that shit up.
    Also of note was the woman I was standing next to for most of the evening, she looked really familiar. She was a sister in a head wrap and a dashiki type dress, and after the show, to confirm my theory I asked, "Ms. Thomas?" and she said, "yes, baby?" It was Carla Thomas!! I talked to her for an hour or so and she kept telling stories about playing back in the day and things, it was wonderful, I was in awe! she couldnt believe the questions I was asking about certain obscure songs and song writers like Homer Banks, when I would ask her something, she would ask me "how do you kow about that?" she was really funny and sweet. She even brought a friend of hers over to marvel at how much I looked like Rob Riener!!!??!? and then she called me "meathead" the rest of the night. Carla Thomas can clown on me all she wants.
    Ann was super cool to, I got an LP autographed and she beamed at it and said "this is beautiful,oh, this is original isnt it?" and I said "Yes, mamn"
    For a die-hard fan of Memphis sista soul, it was a great night to say the least!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Nice work, Meathead!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yeah, be wary - I think she cancelled the entire tour...I was going to see her in Cambridge a week and a half ago and they said she had shut down the tour...I was pretty bummed, since, if anyone saw her in "Only the Strong Survive," not only does she still look completely hot, she can still sing like a mother!

I hope you get to see her, but I wouldn't count on it...

I don't remember her in Only The Strong Survive. I remember the guy interviewing Carla Thomas asking about Howard University. She said something like, it was great Donny and Roberta and I would all hang out together. The interviewer just went on to something else like he didn't want to hear what it was like to sit in a dorm room and share songs with Flack and Hathaway.

• Damn I'm JEALOUS, that sounds like an incredible night.

• Please say you took pictures!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Nice, congrats on a great night - I can't disguise my envy, since I thought I was about to see her 2 weeks ago...hopefully she'll take to the road soon.

That Carla Thomas story was the shit. Do you really look like Rob Reiner circa All In the Family?? Like the chops and the droopy moustache??