classic movies that defined your young life

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
okay, by "defined your life", i dont mean that you actually went Rambo or Tootsie on people. And by classic, i dont mean think of the most obscure or weirdest foreign fillm youve seen (but if you gotta include some of those, its fine)my top 10HalloweenThis is when i first noticed how essential to a movie a soundtrack could be. my favorite horror flick ever.The ShiningI went through a pre-pubescent horror movie phase and this shit fucked me up the most. Maybe cause my parents are all a little crazy. They LiveI realized the beauty of subversive media packaged for the world wrestling federation masses.Bad BoysSean Penn & Ese Morales. Illest movie ever. Coca Cola scene like whatDead ManProbably my favorite movie. A dying world being overrun by a new, decadent one. The main character straddles these clashing civilizations as he follows his destiny and approaches death or salvation The Running ManFrom today's NYTimes: "...we have a populace desperate to get onto reality TV shows and game shows as the only wild-card remedies against a lifetime of low wages, high taxes and costly benefits." Reminded me of this movie. How far away from this reality are we? Dope to see Richard Dawson as main villain.Eyes on The PrizeMy folks forced me to watch this. A decade later, i started to realize how deeply it had sunk in and affected my life choicesThe Good the Bad and the UGlyAnother case of an essential soundtrack. Risto and Chan never sent me their ill westerns that may rival this masterpiece. Blondie, Tuco and Angel Eyes: unfukwitable.Strange BrewI watched this with my grade school friends every new years ever for 4 years. dumbest shit ever, but i was pretty dumb too. Based loosely on Hamlet.Easy Rider this helped me legitimize my urge to hang shit up for a while and go do my own thing for as long as it took. Do The Right Thingi had this amazing high school class that analyzed this from top to bottom. of course i memorized the racial montage, but this movie taught me a lot about symbolism and attention to detail, while also being relevant to anyone growing up in america

Comments

• A Christmas Story.

• A Christmas Story.

oh my god. that was one too. that and bloodsucking freaks (terrible date movie)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    When I was like 9 or 10, The Dark Crystal was MY SHIT!

• Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

A Boy Named Charlie Brown

• When I was like 9 or 10, The Dark Crystal was MY SHIT!

yeah that too. "essssssenceof gellfffffling

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    When I was like 9 or 10, The Dark Crystal was MY SHIT!

yeah that too. "essssssenceof gellfffffling

hahah - the Skecsies were except for the sell-out one!

• blood simple and robocop - i may have mentioned this before but were the first movies i watched that had violence and gore, and that scared me bigtime as a child. the m. emmet walsh window scene and the scene where peter weller gets swiss cheesed were really traumatic for me

ghostbusters - i've had a crush on bill murray since i was 5. i didn't pick up on peter venkman's sarcasm, but i think i just liked how blase he was when there were monsters and ghosts around. my sister told me one time she tore his picture out of a magazine and flicked his face in front of me and i cried. i don't know if i quite believe her

The Toy - god this movie was racist as fuck. that was my first exposure to richard pryor though and i loved him in it. the piranhas scene made me laugh for days. this movie was always on cable just like Coming to America. i've seen these two movies so many times during bored summers at my dad's house.

good topic btw

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    goonies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the adventure i was always searchin' for as a kid.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Star Wars
    Goonies
    Indiana Jones

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Gotta say Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi. I fiended for those to come out when I was a kid. It seemed like forever between those movies.

Also The Neverending Story. I must have seen that one a hundred times. The Rock Biter fucking rules. That and Clash of the Titans. Medusa scene fucking rules.

The OG Mad Max too. This was a weird one, because my super-conservative Aunt and Uncle gave this to me and my brother on video when we were like 9 or something. We watched that tons of time. That shit is violent too! I think my Aunt and Uncle must not have known what was up when they bought it for us.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    bringing skecsee back...

hope and glory
    kids
    gleaming the cube

• They Live
    I realized the beauty of subversive media packaged for the world wrestling federation masses.

i was just thinking today that it's time for a rewatching!

maybe back to back with

that tagline cracks me up

• La Bamba[/b]
    I cried then tried to hide my tears from the rest of the family. Plus EVERY SINGLE CHICANO I KNOW can quote this movie word for word. "Not my Richie, Bob! Not my Richie!" and of course, Esai Ese Morales' heartwrenching "RICHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Selena[/b]
    I cried during the "Jennifer Lopez doing yardwork in spandex" scene. That profile with her ass all like BLADOW!! was like watching the sunrise after Jesus lightly touched my blind eyes. I get choked up just thinking about it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Some of the most memorable films from my childhood were:

1. "The Learning Tree"
    -This film was a great lesson in the ravages of racism and classism. Most importantly, the film showed how good triumphs over evil.

2. "The Exorcist"
    -While this film scared the shit out of me, it taught me a new appreciation of horror movies.

3. "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"
    -I always loved this film because of Sidney Poitier's classy and articulate character. He was a nice counterpart to the demeaning roles Black actors sometimes played during the time period.

4. "Dog Day Afternoon"
    -This movie was my first introduction to Al Pacino. Even at my young age, I could recognize that dude was special. I'm still a great fan of his work. I could easily mention "And Justice For All" too.

5. "Outlaw Josey Wales"
    -This was my first Clint Eastwood film. I thought dude was the epitome of "hard," and I grew to appreciate his acting with this film, "High Plains Drifter," and "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly." Don't even mention the "Dirty Harry" joints.

6. "Once Upon a Time in America"
    -This film does not get enough love. Robert DeNiro was his usual great self in this movie. This was one of the few really "long" movies I enjoyed as a child. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

7. co-shizzle on "Bad Boys" I still watch this film ever time it comes on.

8. "Tender Mercies"
    -This was one of my favorite films as a kid because it was a good, heart-touching story. Robert Duvall was great in this movie. They don't make films like this anymore.

9. "Stir Crazy"
    -I thought this movie was funny as hell as a kid. One of the earliest comedies I remember seeing with my parents. I still watch this every time it comes on.

10. "A Soldier Story"
    -This was great film that is slept on. This movie also has great coverage of classism within race, and pointed out the inner struggles between Black folks (in addition to racism). This story was really tragic and ironic. Check this out if you haven't seen it. Adolph Caesar (R.I.P.), Howard Rollins (R.I.P.), Larry Riley (R.I.P.), and Denzel Washington were great in this film.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• this movie taught me a lot when I was a kid.

Nightmare on elm street and Friday 13th, I used to rent those out...

Also when it came to hip-hop, i remember getting Krush Groove at the only store that had it in Brisbane, and when Colors came out, we were counting how many times "fuck" was used... just kid shit...

peace.

• 10. "A Soldier Story"
    -This was great film that is slept on. This movie also has great coverage of classism within race, and pointed out the inner struggles between Black folks (in addition to racism). This story was really tragic and ironic. Check this out if you haven't seen it. Adolph Caesar (R.I.P.), Howard Rollins (R.I.P.), Larry Riley (R.I.P.), and Denzel Washington were great in this film.

good list man, im gonna have to check some of those out. i vaguely remember soldier story. light skinned, hard ass sergeant and it happened down south? must have been one of denzel's first roles?

• wasnt too significant, but king kong vs. godzilla was the first movie my parents let me stay up late to watch (i was 5). still remember that dude had the super strong dental floss.

• Pulp Fiction

The Good The Bad and the Ugly and in the same vein Once Upon A Time in the West

Mean Streets

3 films that made me the film nerd I am today.

• I BMXed with my friends from sun up until sun down because of this movie. After the first time I watched it, I biked home, adrenaline surging through my body, and pulled off a huge bunny hop and bragged about how I had gotten a foot off of the ground even though it was probably closer to three inches. One of my friends and I would constantly argue over who would be Bart Taylor. I thought I had a better claim because I had blonde hair, which is funny looking back and realizing that I wanted to emulate an Olympic gymnist turned actor. We taped the soundtrack from the movie from stereo speakers and dubbed a copy for each of us. I would listen to it every night, even though my mom didn't want me to since she thought that it was pumping me up too much, which, of course, it did. We even made crude BMX racing jerseys. Mine was a black crew neck sweater with red and white paint. It kicked major ass.

Oh, Rad, you are simply too much for a young boy...

• I BMXed with my friends from sun up until sun down because of this movie. After the first time I watched it, I biked home, adrenaline surging through my body, and pulled off a huge bunny hop and bragged about how I had gotten a foot off of the ground even though it was probably closer to three inches. One of my friends and I would constantly argue over who would be Bart Taylor. I thought I had a better claim because I had blonde hair, which is funny looking back and realizing that I wanted to emulate an Olympic gymnist turned actor. We taped the soundtrack from the movie from stereo speakers and dubbed a copy for each of us. I would listen to it every night, even though my mom didn't want me to since she thought that it was pumping me up too much, which, of course, it did. We even made crude BMX racing jerseys. Mine was a black crew neck sweater with red and white paint. It kicked major ass.

Oh, Rad, you are simply too much for a young boy...

major

sike! im just mad cause i never saw it

BMX BANDITS?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

and

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    In 85 my mom stepped out on her own and got a black box. My world was everything HBO!!!

munchies, terrible critters rip off they used to play over and over!

one of the greatest camp movies of the 80s

some of the dumbest movies had me fascinated

I might buy this for a dollar, They Live got to me more, but this one I saw only on HBO for like a summer

one of my fave cartoons

The scene where the teacher ate the frog is all I remember!

and ENEMY MINE over and over and everything Eddie Murphy and Johnny 5. Id anyone remembers any of those old HBO filler movies from back then bring them up I want to rediscover some shit!

Id anyone remembers any of those old HBO filler movies from back then bring them up I want to rediscover some shit!

• Tripledub, even though Rad won't be as magical to you as an adult as it would have when you were little, it's still an outrageously hilarious movie that could easily be categorized as "so bad it's good." It's hard to track down as a rental nowadays, sadly.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    aww yeah buckaroo banzai! I forgot about that one!!!
    That reminds me of this one

what an incredible saga of friendship, one of my childhood faves

I always liked coming-of-age films...

• BMX BANDITS?

Hell yes.