new 7" release on tramp records

tobiaskirmayertobiaskirmayer 40 Posts
edited September 2007 in Announcements
Tramp Records proudly presentsWAKE&BAKE! ??? Funkie Pie b/w Funky Blue Beard (Tr-1009)**probably the first ever released funk 45rpm single out of Russia**who said russian cuisine is all about caviar and vodka? funk-minded gastronomists from the city of saint-petersburg are the real source of meaty drum breaks and juicy grooves. their call themselves wake&bake! implying their funky tunes cookin' skills. from rather non-sophisticated ingredients i.e. drums, percussions, bass, guitar and organ, they manage to create quite delicious hotplates adding exotic sitar notes. le plat du jour is a funkie pie following funky blue beard on the flip, a musical variation of gilles de rais story, I suppose. that's what you get with five chefs in the same kitchen. the deepfunk sound from the late 60s has never been their goal, much more they captured the great production style of the mid 70s, and hey, they've got it!the band members are:anton shustrov, alexander shtykov, stas rybochkin, ivan kurzakov and sasha gonzo also featuring alexander konanchuk on sitar.this 7'' contains the first tracks released from their session at the st. petersburg recording studio, recorded in april 2007. bon appetite!---OUT NOW!Listen to it here:Funkie Piewww.tramprecords.com/sound/45/tr-1009_a.ramFunky Blue Beardwww.tramprecords.com/sound/45/tr-1009_b.ramLabel artwork:www.tramprecords.com/img/artists/label_tr1009.jpgTramp RecordsTobias KirmayerSonnenstr. 385777 FahrenzhausenGermany[email]info@tramprecords.com[/email]www.tramprecords.com_________________Tobias Kirmayer from Tramp Records (Munich/GER)

Comments

• bazbaz 30 Posts
    have someone checked the audio?
    what do you think?

• bazbaz 30 Posts
    by the way, here's something else from the band:
    http://wnbspb.davletshin.com/pub/

• bazbaz 30 Posts
    here's the band's myspace page:
    http://www.myspace.com/wnbspb

did someone heard the tracks?

• bazbaz 30 Posts
    found some reviews:
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Wake & Bake! - "Funky Blue Beard" b/w "Funkie Pie" (Tramp Records cat. TR-1009)
    Tramp reords is a two headed monster. One head for re-issues and the other for original music. Wake A Bake! are as new as you can get. They move along in a Soulful Funky way and one that has variety to keep you interested in its 3:12. There is a chunky, fuzzy guitar that hangs out in the back like as if he was a little to hyper to join in the smoke filled den. After the guitar settles down players drop out to make room for a nice percussive chill out that grounds a little break and some nice interplay which includes the now relaxed guitarist. ARRR! it's a badass groove indeed. "Funkie Pie" is a little more raw and stripped down. there is a lot of the Meters in this sound but yet it never actually imitates them. The organ player is especially tasteful on both sides of this 45 and definitely stands out. I guess with the name it was inevitable so here comes the sitar and possibly a tambura. Again tastefully done. Adding any "exotic" instrument to Funk music can usually sound forced but here the sound is integrated perfectly and has a very natural feel.
    /Yardworker/
    7-inch (Item 466290) Tramp (Germany), 2007 -- Condition: New Copy
    These guys may wake and bake, but their music sure doesn't show any signs of it -- because the groove here is uptight and funky, and nod the head-nodding sound you might think from the group's name! "Funky Blue Beard" is a romping little instrumental that's halfway between mod soul and funk -- tight basslines bumping up the bottom, hot Hammond burning in the middle, and a general groove that's nicely playful, thanks to some sharp-edged guitar work. "Funkie Pie" has lots of great guitar too -- almost raspy at points, with a rougher edge than the usual funk combo sound -- but in a way that brings plenty of grit into the grooves laid down by the tightly funky drums!
    /dustygroove/

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    So I'm assuming this is Baz as in Bazil?

Did you get to hear the radio show on Sunday......there's that record with the heavy drums intro you asked after at the Queens Bar.

Cheers!

• bazbaz 30 Posts
    hi greg, yeah it's me
    of course i heard the show
    also i remembered the title of that 45, but damn this one is

how was your flight?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    how was your flight?

Yeah, was good...made good time back to London.

I got some a couple of nice pictures of the night, so I'll link 'em up for you when I can.

I'll keep a look out for a spare copy