LABOR DAY (and week of 9/3-9/7) FINDS

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Took a short trip to an out-of-town spotI hit a couple of times a year at most. Frustratingly stagnant stock, but I alwayscome out with a few quality items. Some cheap shit:Some better shit:"Manteca" is a killer album! Awesome pre-clavinet organ styles. Blunstonehas disturbing cover but is great, picks right up where his first solo album,which I play the hell out of, left off. I'm a big Robert E. Howard nerd, sothat private press 1975 spoken word joint with the booklet had me drooling.Some other stuff from the past week:There's a couple of sick tracks on that Art Reynolds LP. Johnnie Rae/HerbieMann is a really solid album, been looking for a nice copy. The Hard Times LPis a bit of a tease ... looks like it will rule, but only a couple of good tracks,the rest too wussed out on the vocal tip.Actually have a bunch of 45's to post, but I want to hook up some audio for them,and I'm not in the mood for rippin', so I'll put 'em up later in the week. Watch this space.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Actually have a bunch of 45's to post, but I want to hook up some audio for them,
    and I'm not in the mood for rippin', so I'll put 'em up later in the week.
    Watch this space.

As promised.

Nobody else buying records this week?

Rudy Robinson with some Wacky Races funk:

Backbeat wins again, with the knockin' intro:

Sweet sounds pre-Twinight from the falsetto man:

Pre-Arctic goodness from the Philly favs:

Blazing, tuff-as-nails garage with a country pedigree -
    "Roy Junior" is the son of country legend Roy Acuff!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u101/ataru67/records93.jpg>

45s:
    lattimore brown - so says my heart / everyday i have to cry some (STONE MINT promo copy)
    Oscar bishop & the bishops - oscar's dog / (gonna have to) put you down (cracked, unfortunately)

both 45s were found in a box of about 15 45s at a flea market down the street for me for 25 cents each, pretty random selections.

the LP was a dollar and has some great inez foxx tracks on it, but the rest is pretty ehh.

• Nice finds, man! How is that Diamond Joe track? I love "Fair Play" (it??s on a CD a friend gave me) but I??ve never seen or heard of anything else he did.

- J

• Nobody else buying records this week?
    I am!!
    ..and hey, thanks for the audio! i gotta get on the stick with that stuff.

^^ the bola sete is the very nice 'workin on a groovy thing' on paramount. the mad river is way more
    country than their 1st record, but its got some amazing Fahey-ish guitar stuff on it.

^^ Voyage is a '77 Marlin/TK disco type thing, it sounded a bit different. the kay
    gardner is lesbos-folk with some spooky parts. roy atkinson has some promising bits
    between the cheez.

^^ another pearls before swine on ESP! i guess i didnt know. that moses thing is yet
    another J.C.Superstar type knockoff, not bad actually. Centaurus is basically a
    small press hard rock record but its got really cool spaced out passages.

^^ the tougher Lord Sutch at last. he was a doofus but certainly knew the right
    people! slowly tracking down the tony joe whites. import hazelwood i didnt know
    about, and Don Cherry on blue note is never a mistake.

^^ Goldsboro is just 60's pop but its crisp and clean, and what a cool cover. Fever
    tree dupes out of nowhere - it was the one i couldnt find for 5 years.

^^ coverless bongo rock cried out for love.

^^ weirdo selection. Willie Dunn is actually pretty cool in places, hes a Canadian
    Indian dude, its semi traditional, semi rock/pop. WILLIENELSONPREBEARDRAER. the
    music builders have some pretty burnt covers of all sortsa pop songs. center bottom
    was sealed, mystery jesus rock (i hope).

^^ and finally, a new candidate for WORST COVER DESIGN EVAR....???
    positively puke-inducing. Look at that yellow! oof.

• Flea market and charity shop finds from the last week and a half:

A stack of 'Belgian popcorn' comps with some cool tracks on them. Too bad the artists aren't mentioned.

Finally found that Chubby Checker again after leaving two copies behind for 1 euro each in a charity shop two years ago.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts, fleas, yard sales

if the image resolution sucks, it is because i'm trying out a camera i picked up at a yard sale a few weeks ago. it serves as a backup camera and i just thought i'd finally use it.

12"s in that pic - 4 of the same Vitamin E 12"s and 4 Andrea True Connection 12" promos on buddah. got it from a guy who had a yard sale and was selling the remnants of his dads shop that was in the bronx back in the day. he said that when he died there was a memorial concert for him and all these latin and soul guys played.

here is a edison 78 from robert trucksess - sounds like this may have influenced fahey.

listen here --

http://www.archive.org/details/EDIS-SRP-0165-12

45s --

texas garage -

allentown, pa garage (2nd copy)

'soulful jerk' from the rumblers -

and a whole bunch of random rap 12"s

Taalam - my funky drummer (so awesome!)

...and 4 old school banana skateboards for 10 bucks!

• Dakar, plaes to explain "Autosalvage" (?), metuselah, and federal duck!

your haul is killing it. that huckleberry hound is like a $120 record if NM. Bush Tetras! Black Widow?? Decembers Children?? Nice to see many of these titles. Especially knowing you found them on peoples lawns for cheep.

federal duck

i dont remember much but the last track on this lp, which has some cool sounds.

what i wanna know about is the yellow payges lp, any good? theres a copy at my local shop that got me curious.

• GREAT record! A longtime fave of mine.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    federal duck

i dont remember much but the last track on this lp, which has some cool sounds.

what i wanna know about is the yellow payges lp, any good? theres a copy at my local shop that got me curious.

The Yellow Payges lp is cool, I like it. I think you'd probably dig it too..

Autosalvage is quite good, as well.
    Unique sounds with strong guitar and
    distinct but not ruinous vocals.

Can be had for relatively cheap, too.

• I was in a bookstore and Afro Harping was there for 10 bucks, and my baby digger impulse said buy, so I bought.

Also bought some cool old sheet music, which I'll have to take pictures of and post up.

• plaese to send to Memphis, this is that good shit.

did you find antoher Boseman?

did you find antoher Boseman?

No, I've just been slack on posting my finds,
    so there were a few things in there I've had for
    a week or so. Thanks for that one, it's pretty sweet.

• here's a few i got in the post today from Hungary - -apart from the amon duul which i procured from my local shop!!

the syrius sounds like a stuttering, jazzier version of that Demon Fuzz - Afreaka LP.... and the Amon Duul isnt as good as i had hoped --- gets slightly tedius over its 2-disc length... to these ears anyway. the first disc is ace though!! i like the Piramis a lot.

if the image resolution sucks, it is because i'm trying out a camera i picked up at a yard sale a few weeks ago.

and if it doesnt?

nice finds everybody, im starting to realize more and more how much iowa sucks for digging.

IMG src=http://www.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2006/142/14388641_114840827730.jpg>

i have erma franklins lp on brunswick but id never heard of this. fucking GREAT funky soul record! this is the most satisfied ive been with a record in months.

Yeah, that record deserves a better rep.

You can find SS copies for under $20 - amazing
    for such a solid soul LP.

yeah, my copy was super duper clean for $6 from my local shop.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Snipes:

(Final upgrade)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

i got that blue one
    its seen some serious shred
    i found it in a friends wood pile

• Nice! I just recently unearthed this from my storage this last week.

my haul:

not pictured:

Sun - "Sun-Power"
    Tony Wilson - "Try Love"
    Tropique - Big Business b/w The Runner
    Hot Chocolate - Going Through The Motions
    Edwin Star - Contact b/w Gene Chandler - Get Down