Kweli outsells Swizz (Late Pass)

40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Brooklyn emcee Talib Kweli and high energy producer-rapper Swizz Beatz both debuted high on The Billboard 200 this week with their latest efforts.Talib scored his first appearance in the Top 10 by landing at No. 2 with his third solo album Ear Drum. According to Nielsen's Soundscan, the set scanned 60,000 discs in its opening week.Entering at No. 7 is Swizz Beatz with his sophomore effort One Man Band Man. The album, which features appearances from Coldplay front man Chris Martin and Drag-On, bagged up 45,000 units in its first go-around.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Brooklyn emcee Talib Kweli and high energy producer-rapper Swizz Beatz both debuted high on The Billboard 200 this week with their latest efforts.

Talib scored his first appearance in the Top 10 by landing at No. 2 with his third solo album Ear Drum. According to Nielsen's Soundscan, the set scanned 60,000 discs in its opening week.

Entering at No. 7 is Swizz Beatz with his sophomore effort One Man Band Man. The album, which features appearances from Coldplay front man Chris Martin and Drag-On, bagged up 45,000 units in its first go-around.

"Drag-On?" LOL. Now THAT is a random obscure Ruff Ryder member right there. Is he related to Swizz or something?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Brooklyn emcee Talib Kweli and high energy producer-rapper Swizz Beatz both debuted high on The Billboard 200 this week with their latest efforts.

Talib scored his first appearance in the Top 10 by landing at No. 2 with his third solo album Ear Drum. According to Nielsen's Soundscan, the set scanned 60,000 discs in its opening week.

Entering at No. 7 is Swizz Beatz with his sophomore effort One Man Band Man. The album, which features appearances from Coldplay front man Chris Martin and Drag-On, bagged up 45,000 units in its first go-around.

"Drag-On?" LOL. Now THAT is a random obscure Ruff Ryder member right there. Is he related to Swizz or something?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    anyway nothing surprising about this, no one under 30 is buying albums. it isn't really a referendum on who is more popular

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Disconnected? Have I missed the steady releases of blazin' hot tracks by "Drag-On" over the last few years? I hope you are joking. Plaese to get serious.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I TOLD YALL DUDES, KWELI IS NOT MESSIN' AROUND!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Is it me, or is it somewhat surprising that 60,000 copies gets you number two on the charts these days? Is the business that fucked up, or is this urban charts or something? I would have thought some aging rocker, country superstar or "Now thats what i call music" comp would beat that....

Whats the last super-producer album that actually worked out? Seems like all these solo albums are always junk, Pharrell, timbo, swizz, they always seem to try to unload an album of 2nd rate shit off one hot radio single....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the business is[/b] that fucked up

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    the business is[/b] that fucked up

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Kind of a rhetorical question, but thanks for confirmation guys. I think if you've been paying attention for the last 5 years its pretty clear that the business is, indeed, that fucked up.
    But still, Kweli at 2nd, is this a glimmer of hope, or an indication that the end times are close at hand?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Kweli cares about Black people.

• I'm not a Kweli fan, but you know what I like about him?

The fact that he won't go around bragging about this shit.

I swear some of you guys play into this WWF shit waaaaay too much.