East of Underground questions

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I ported this over from announcements where the thread got exiled (OG: http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=941122&an=0&page=0#Post941122)I'm still hoping someone can answer how it is that East of Underground ended up crazy uber obscure whereas the Black Seeds/Sound Trek album turns up more often (and for decidedly far, far, far less money) even though there's only a year between them?Actually, two more questions to ask:1) EoU didn't win the talent contest? Soap did? I'm hella confused.2) EoU was the first annual talent contest, Black Seeds won the 2nd...as there a third in 1973 with an album somewhere out there by the Special Services Agency? Headz wanna know. And I think James' critiques were all spot on.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Mods, please move this to the announcements forum.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mods, please move this to the announcements forum.

You joking dude? These are legit questions and I'm not affiliated with the CD.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You joking dude?

Of course. Everytime I think "I don't need a graemlin"
    it comes back to haunt me. I didn't understand the move
    of the other thread. I blame Mark Latency.

And I want to hear Soap.

And I want to hear Soap.

• And I want to hear Soap.

Soap is dope

• That record is awesome, and if this band Soap won over them, I'd be interested in that.

That record is awesome, and if this band Soap won over them, I'd be interested in that.

I don't care who won - I still wanna hear Soap.

That said, I'm confused by what James wrote. I thought the winning band got first billing? That's what happened with Black Seeds - Sound Trek got the B-side but no cover mention.

• I don't care who won - I still wanna hear Soap.

That said, I'm confused by what James wrote. I thought the winning band got first billing? That's what happened with Black Seeds - Sound Trek got the B-side but no cover mention.

Either way, we got some sick music.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Soap is mediocre at best rock covers.

Prove that by posting

Prove that by posting

Found a copy at ARC 2 years ago for $10.00.....CoolChris made me an offer I couldn't refuse and it wound up flying back to S.F.

Gave it a good listen before it departed.

For once, you'll just have to take my word for it.

Mediocre is being kind.

Prove that by posting

Found a copy at ARC 2 years ago for $10.00.....CoolChris made me an offer I couldn't refuse

Rockadelic waking up with his psych raers cracked into pieces at foot of bed.

Prove that by posting

Found a copy at ARC 2 years ago for $10.00.....CoolChris made me an offer I couldn't refuse

And a Unicorn head in my bed.

• Soap is mediocre at best rock covers.

Prove that by posting

And a Unicorn head in my bed.

A brooding menace that belies the cool exterior...

Now you listen to me, you smooth talking son-of-a-bitch. Let me lay it on the line for you and your boss, whoever he is. Johnny Paycheck will never get this record. I don't care how many dago guinea wop greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I am still baffled how little is known about this record. In no way is that a dig on anyone involved in the project, but it's amazing how people have tracked down groups that recorded and pressed a handfull of 45s on a one-off label, but with a group directly involved with the army with the names of the band members available, it is still a mystery.

I didn't know this was what Shadow and Cut used for the intro to the Product Placement set either.

Are the photos on the back cover from the original LP? Is this the photoshop zoomfest people were referencing before? I've seen the OG before at a friend's but I didn't take as much time with it as I should have, I really didn't know it was such a big deal of a record.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    how wide was the distribution on this record? is there one part of the country where you should be more likely to find it? how many pressings were there? this is all i want to know.

fucking great record, i need to pick up the reissue

• I am still baffled how little is known about this record. In no way is that a dig on anyone involved in the project, but it's amazing how people have tracked down groups that recorded and pressed a handfull of 45s on a one-off label, but with a group directly involved with the army with the names of the band members available, it is still a mystery.

I imagine part of the problem is that the group was composed of individuals from across the country. You can almost always tell what city a 45 is from, and that makes the task of tracking down names significantly easier.

• Soap is mediocre at best rock covers.

Prove that by posting

Found a copy at ARC 2 years ago for $10.00.....CoolChris made me an offer I couldn't refuse and it wound up flying back to S.F.

Gave it a good listen before it departed.

For once, you'll just have to take my word for it.

Mediocre is being kind.

I agree with this. Forgettable is the right word. The black seeds were better and I didn't buy that given the opportunity....

• That record is awesome, and if this band Soap won over them, I'd be interested in that.

I don't care who won - I still wanna hear Soap.

It's a double-LP with a gatefold cover. Each side (front & back) has a different cover.... so it kind of has two covers. So it's not really apparent what the title/artist is at first view. Then you open it up and the inner cover is a montage with pics & liner notes... I forget what they say tho.

This album is rare but I don't believe there's 10-15 known copies as was claimed on that other board.... I would bet there's that many copies passed through the hands of just posters here and friends of posters.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This album is rare but I don't believe there's 10-15 known copies as was claimed on that other board.... I would bet there's that many copies passed through the hands of just posters here and friends of posters.

Probably where those numbers came from

• This album is rare but I don't believe there's 10-15 known copies as was claimed on that other board.... I would bet there's that many copies passed through the hands of just posters here and friends of posters.

Probably where those numbers came from

Naw, the person who mentioned those numbers, I am sure he is not relying on soulstrut.

I'm just pessimistic when people talk about so-and-so number of copies in existence.

I'd say 10 is a high number.....only one copy ever on Ebay to my knowledge.

When a record goes for four figures you usually see copies coming out of the woodwork to cash in....not the case with EOU unless I missed something?

• at one point jazzman supposedly had a few copies. i heard the exact number from a celebrity digger once but forgot it since. this was back when it was still relatively unknown though.

I'd say 10 is a high number.....only one copy ever on Ebay to my knowledge.

When a record goes for four figures you usually see copies coming out of the woodwork to cash in....not the case with EOU unless I missed something?

You're not missing something - I think your point is a good one, especially if you look at similar, $1000+ albums like that Billy Wooten LP or Stark Reality.

One more question: I wonder if they changed studios between EoU and Black Seeds since the latter sounds like shit, fidelity-wise, especially in comparison to how good the EoU album sounds.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Is it actually true that this was recorded in Germany?

Is it actually true that this was recorded in Germany?

I think it's true. No reason at all to doubt that. BOth albums say they were recorded in Frankfurt but as I'm suggesting, the level of quality dropped b/t the first and second and I'm wondering if they switched studios.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    EofU isn't exactly hifi stuff, so you're saying that Seeds is worse???

• soap is awful. i didn't even record it when i had my copy.

i would say there are wayyy more than 10-15 copies around.

if i found it, there are definatly more.

seems like everybody in chicago has a copy.

some guy wrote me a long time ago saying he had found a couple copies but i lost his pm. not sure if he was legitimate, i'd never heard of him.

EofU isn't exactly hifi stuff, so you're saying that Seeds is worse???

Considerably.