The Caretaker

AsKo25AsKo25 32 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Have you guys heard of The Caretaker? It's a V/Vm side project where he uses old ballroom recordings to create dark ambient music. You can download a couple albums for free here: http://brainwashed.com/vvm/micro/caretaker/index.htmI wonder what his techniques are.

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I wonder what his techniques are.

Some, but not all:
    1.) Time Stretch
    2.) Filtering
    3.)Pitch shifting
    4.) Cut and paste.

This kind of music is very easy to make in terms of technical demands (navigating software). Teh skill comes in how the creator of said music selects what to filter and what to amplify. This music is also very boring to listen to because its usually made by people who have a boring sense of sound. 99% recycled caca, 'dark' tones left over from Pierre Henri, Pierre Schaeffer, John Cage, and others. At least make something that is peaceful and relaxing instead of fucking music to by OD to.

• I wonder what his techniques are.

Some, but not all:
    1.) Time Stretch
    2.) Filtering
    3.)Pitch shifting
    4.) Cut and paste.

This kind of music is very easy to make in terms of technical demands (navigating software). Teh skill comes in how the creator of said music selects what to filter and what to amplify. This music is also very boring to listen to because its usually made by people who have a boring sense of sound. 99% recycled caca, 'dark' tones left over from Pierre Henri, Pierre Schaeffer, John Cage, and others. At least make something that is peaceful and relaxing instead of fucking music to by OD to.

I actually think his tracks are great for using as a score in films. My friends and I filmed a short film recently and we used some Caretaker tracks, it set the mood of the film nicely. I also happen to like the creepy mood it sets in if you're just listening to it on its own. Sure, only a few tracks stand out, but the ones that do are great.