Chessmen (doo-wop related)

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I met a singer named James yesterday who claimed he was in a group called the Chessmen back in the day. It seems like there's more than one group by that name who released records in the 60s. Has anybody heard of a Chessmen band doing doo-wop based in NYC who released a 45 (maybe more) and had a track on a comp or something?The guy later went on to perform with the Valentinos which is also a NYC based group I would think.He could still sing.Peace,Dress

Comments

• I met a singer named James yesterday who claimed he was in a group called the Chessmen back in the day. It seems like there's more than one group by that name who released records in the 60s. Has anybody heard of a Chessmen band doing doo-wop based in NYC who released a 45 (maybe more) and had a track on a comp or something?

The guy later went on to perform with the Valentinos which is also a NYC based group I would think.

Don't know which particular Chessmen he was with, but are you sure he didn't go on to sing with the VALENTINES? Because the VALENTINOS were Bobby Womack & his brothers and as best as I can tell, they were based in L.A. by way of Cleveland, Ohio. The ValenTINES were Richard Barrett's group and would have been NYC-based.

• Im pretty sure he told me he was with the Valentinos but I guess it makes more sence if it was Valentines he sung with.

Ill see him again tonight and Ill ask him.

Thanks,

Dress

• Of course he didnt show up for tonights gig but somebody told me his full name. James Myers.

I guess he did play with the Valentinos but what seems to be a different group, right?

http://rcartagena.web.aplus.net/id9.html

Peace,

Dress

• Of course he didnt show up for tonights gig but somebody told me his full name. James Myers.

I guess he did play with the Valentinos but what seems to be a different group, right?

http://rcartagena.web.aplus.net/id9.html

Peace,

Dress

Yeah, obviously this is a different group from the one the Womack brothers had in the '60s/'70s.