what some people think of modern soul/boogie

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
okay I don't have deep crates or rare stuff when it comes to modern soul, but usually i try to play a lil set every time i spin out. I spun last night and spun strictly hip hop/rap type stuff and the bartender at the end of the night said she liked my music and that I didn't play any of that "rollerskating backwards stuff".. Funny..

Comments

• It's definetly not for everyone...It took me a while to get into it, but with any genre there's good and bad. Probably wouldn't play it at your typical rap/hip hop venue though...

• average club people can front all they want...until said favorite rapper/ r&b pop shmuck samples the song.

people can be so stupid.

• I guess all of that modern soul stuff just goes over most peoples heads. I'm just glad that the owners and the bartenders let me play what I want so I can drop a radio joint if I feel like it (i.e if most of the patrons are ice grilling me while I play the new little brother). I've had some promoters come up to me while I'm spinning telling me "let's get this goin! pick up the pace!" Knowin damn well what I play. I try to compromise a little on my playlist but the next day I always feel like fuck that shit.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I guess all of that modern soul stuff just goes over most peoples heads. I'm just glad that the owners and the bartenders let me play what I want so I can drop a radio joint if I feel like it (i.e if most of the patrons are ice grilling me while I play the new little brother). I've had some promoters come up to me while I'm spinning telling me "let's get this goin! pick up the pace!" Knowin damn well what I play. I try to compromise a little on my playlist but the next day I always feel like fuck that shit.
    why would u play little brother in a club, unless it was some uptempo joint in a set w/ that neo-soul-boho vibe?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    average club people can front all they want...until said favorite rapper/ r&b pop shmuck samples the song.

people can be so stupid.

Exactly. Truth be told though....either play the boogie joints they know, probably know, or may know, or the joints that just HAVE to work. I always play the Guy Cuevas joint my sets and it works fine because that groove is just fucking retarted ill - people love it even if they don't know it. Same goes for joints like "It Should Have Been You" or in the case of disco - joints like Is It All Over My Face.....the average shmuck may not know it - but on any half decent system - that shit's going to rock and fuck people up.

• why would u play little brother in a club, unless it was some uptempo joint in a set w/ that neo-soul-boho vibe?

Deej, said place is not really a club but actually a bar. The crowds vary from week to week. One night, you'll get a party crowd who want to dance, one night you'll get a "real headz" crowd who wants to hear the "real schitt".

Damn, I didn't even know I played that much of that stuff. I tried to keep it recognizable with what I played (ie. stuff that has been sampled, etc). They don't want to hear my private mind garden "rollerskating backwards stuff" set.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Aloy of this music thrived in the Local Black Exp. Becky doesnt care about Jehri-Curl Soul, unless it was an MTV hit or a major club hit. An album cut from Kashif isnt gonna even impress Raheem in Queens if his parents only copped the pop stuff. Its about exposure.

• why would u play little brother in a club, unless it was some uptempo joint in a set w/ that neo-soul-boho vibe?

Deej, said place is not really a club but actually a bar. The crowds vary from week to week. One night, you'll get a party crowd who want to dance, one night you'll get a "real headz" crowd who wants to hear the "real schitt".

Damn, I didn't even know I played that much of that stuff. I tried to keep it recognizable with what I played (ie. stuff that has been sampled, etc). They don't want to hear my private mind garden "rollerskating backwards stuff" set.

You usually played stuff that people would know from samples and what not. I was the one playing level III-give me, that made people annoyed.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    It's different here in the Baltimore/DC area, I think, because a lot of this music never really died here. You might not hear the crazy raers, but you will definately hear the Brenda Russells, Starpoints, and Keni Burkes on the regular. I've heard Enchantment and the The Sylvers bumping through the walls of the a friends' neighbor's house a few doors down from me. I've even sold a joint or two on ebay for $20-30, only to hear the same album playing in the background at the Post Office when I go to mail out the package.

It's different here in the Baltimore/DC area, I think, because a lot of this music never really died here. You might not hear the crazy raers, but you will definately hear the Brenda Russells, Starpoints, and Keni Burkes on the regular. I've heard Enchantment and the The Sylvers bumping through the walls of the a friends' neighbor's house a few doors down from me. I've even sold a joint or two on ebay for $20-30, only to hear the same album playing in the background at the Post Office when I go to mail out the package.

true, but how many of y'all is playin to the Local Black Exp Grown N Sexy Crowd. I know your not talkin bout Becky bumpin the Sylvers.

• It's different here in the Baltimore/DC area, I think, because a lot of this music never really died here. You might not hear the crazy raers, but you will definately hear the Brenda Russells, Starpoints, and Keni Burkes on the regular. I've heard Enchantment and the The Sylvers bumping through the walls of the a friends' neighbor's house a few doors down from me. I've even sold a joint or two on ebay for $20-30, only to hear the same album playing in the background at the Post Office when I go to mail out the package.

true, but how many of y'all is playin to the Local Black Exp Grown N Sexy Crowd. I know your not talkin bout Becky bumpin the Sylvers.

Don't you think advertising your night as something novel would help that out, though? I hate to say "80s Night," since most people have preconceived notions of what that would be like, but I think you get my idea.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I just imagine Guzzo and Supergood hanging out in their pink and turquoise vinyl suits with their jheri curl drippin all over the place.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    In melbourne all the elctro-house kids love it when you drop shit at the boogie end of the spectrum like "get down saturday night", "lovers holiday", "you're the one for me" etc... But you can't just do a straight boogie/modern soul set, you have to mix it up.

Don't you think advertising your night as something novel would help that out, though? I hate to say "80s Night," since most people have preconceived notions of what that would be like, but I think you get my idea.

No doubt. And Boogie/Modern Soul isnt 80's Night.

• "rollerskating backwards stuff" :P

Id rather hear some good 80's funk in my bar then that lame graveyardshift rapshit of the 90's wich makes you sleepy.