Recommend Some Good Old Country Music

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I generally think that country is a lame version of the blues. Please to recommmand some good old country music.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

no.

• Anything Merle Haggard or Johnny Cash is listenable IMO...But older country is the only way to go...I'm not a huge fan of country at all really, but I can listen to some of the older stuff and not want to kill myself...

• Mint, you should listen to Gillian Welch's music. While it is not old, it is inspired by old folk music. "Time - The Revelator" and "Revival" are both excellent starting points. There was a rather large Bluegrass revival around the time "O, Brother, Where Art Thou" came out, with a bunch of new folks coming out. Not sure if it's still kicking, but you could sample some of the artists off of that soundtrack, have a listen, or work your way back to their influences.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Check out these artists:

-George Jones.
    -Loretta Lynn.
    -Roy Acuff.
    -Patsy Cline.
    -Hank Williams.
    -Willie Nelson (duh!).
    -Ernest Tubb.
    -Tom T. Hall.
    -Tammy Wynette.
    -Merle Haggard.
    -Johnny Cash.
    -Ray Charles (don't sleep).
    -Marty Robbins.
    -Don Gibson.
    -Charley Pride.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    farmer boys on capitol has been a favorite of mine for quite some years now.

• two of the best

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I like some of the big-name bluegrass pioneers like Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers.

• statler brothers. nuff said. peace, stein. . .

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Check out Jimmie Rodgers.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Check out Jimmie Rodgers.

i beat ya to it! , but for cereal, Jimmie is THAT DOOD. If you like Hank, you need to check for Jimmie to see where he got it.

I have this cd called "Song's that Elvis Loved" , and I'm far from an Elvis fan but it has some real good country blues/country/bluegrass tracks on it as well as some cool opera.

• jerry jeff walker

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts

no.

Good post.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There was a rather large Bluegrass revival around the time "O, Brother, Where Art Thou" came out, with a bunch of new folks coming out. Not sure if it's still kicking

Very much so, judging by all the lame string bands that have sprung up in Chicago alone...

i beat ya to it!

yeah, but you forgot to identify the picture[/b]. now how's a country novice s'posed to know who that is?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I generally think that country is a lame version of the blues.

How so?

How so?

And if that's what you think country is, what are you looking for that will change your mind? Several of these artists we've named had some kind of blues influence (and they do it well, IMO)...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

no.

Good post.

Good post response.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts

How so?

Well, first, let me say that this view is founded on ignorance and I would never seriously argue this with anyone. That said, I think that blues is the ultimate folk expression of the hardships, struggles and joys that people dealt with in the past. Basically, country speaks on the same things, but with less soul. I know enough to know that this generalization is pretty pathetic and didn't really mean for it to be taken too seriously.

• I generally think that country is a lame version of the blues.

How so?

Well, first, let me say that this view is founded on ignorance and I would never seriously argue this with anyone. That said, I think that blues is the ultimate folk expression of the hardships, struggles and joys that people dealt with in the past. Basically, country speaks on the same things, but with less soul. I know enough to know that this generalization is pretty pathetic and didn't really mean for it to be taken too seriously.

I dunno about that, less soul? If you listen to old country (30-40s) its basically pre-war blues sung by white guys. Alot of the same songs even. If you enjoy stuff like the Mississippi Sheiks, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Skip James, etc. then most would like early country blues.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, I mean, the less modern you get the differences between rural white music and rural black music get smaller and smaller.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As many Houstonians will attest, George Strait was during the 80's.

As many Houstonians will attest, George Strait was during the 80's.

I think he's killin' it right now, based on his last album (and the live show I saw last winter).

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    WAYLON JENNINGS pre 1978. That is all.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Jim Reeves

Super easy to find (dollar bin common) and some of his stuff is really good.

• i will ride for early dolly. living under the same roof as my ma made apreciating this music impossible, but now I hear tenesse mountain home and it takes me back to good (and very cheesy) memories.

definitely have love for hank williams and johnny cash too.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

>>Old To New

Matt Bauer
    Elizabeth Cotton
    Carter Family ("Wildwood Flowers" is a tremendous song - Anita Carter's "Farewell")
    Blue Sky Boys ("Story of the Knoxville Girl" is pretty gangsta)
    Stanley Brothers
    Lucinda Williams' first few albums
    Texas Gladden & Hobart Smith (see "In the Willow Garden")
    Woody Guthrie
    Osbourne Brothers
    Townes Van Zandt
    Terry Allen
    Flatts & Scruggs
    Ramblin' Jack Elliott
    Anything Dolly Parton, consistent through the mid-'70s
    Willie Nelson
    Merle Haggard
    Waylon Jennings
    more...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    The Louvin Bros creep me out but i kinda like them. Their harmonies rule

gahhh!

• tbonetbone 7 Posts
    in random order:

Johnny Horton
    Old Merle Haggard
    Buck Owens
    Bob Wills
    HANK
    Woody Guthrie
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Jerry Lee Lewis

the "country" I like.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Devil Went Down To Georgia has been known to rock a party way in the wee drunk hours....
    I actually dropped that in a set one time in Boston at my residency and it went over so big that I was told I counldn't play it anymore - apparently heads were getting a little rowdy.

Glad this thread came up though....I'd love to know about older country that's heavy on the slide guitar and is real mellow and sort of jazzy....that shit's mad fuckwitable.