Firefox Tech Help.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody know why my browser drags so much? I'm very atechnical and this shit frustrates the hell out of me! (I'm on a PC and I don't even know what version of Firefox I have.) Pages take forever to load - if they load at all - and DL's keep stopping without ever finishing.I figure it has to be Firefox 'cause when I try IE everything seems to work fine. Also, I have wireless and when I use my laptop I have no problems.I Googled for assistance first and I came up on this:
Here???s something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:1.Type ???about:config??? into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequestsNormally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.2. Alter the entries as follows:Set ???network.http.pipelining??? to ???true???Set ???network.http.proxy.pipelining??? to ???true???Set ???network.http.pipelining.maxrequests??? to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it ???nglayout.initialpaint.delay??? and set its value to ???0″. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.If you???re using a broadband connection you???ll load pages MUCH faster now!
I followed the instructions, restarted my computer and I'm STILL having issues.Thanks is advance!Herm

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Whynot try to uninstall and grab the newest version (2.0.0.6 I believe) and re-install it.

Also, do you use a firewall at all?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Also, do you use a firewall at all?

I don't *think* so. (I'm telling you, I feel stupid when it comes to this shit!)

I'll reinstall/DL when I get back home from dinner. Thanks!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Well, sometimes it can be firewall related or maybe a router. But I would try a re-install and see how that goes.

The other day I was looking at some womens comp cause she said she couldn't use to internet, only to find out she had zone alarm installed and she had blocked everything when she got a notice from the firewall because she thought it was someone trying to hack her. But she really just blocked her own access.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    My download window doesn't work anymore. Its done it before, and I had to dump a folder in Firefox application folder somewhere. Anybody know what I talkin' bout? Seems to happen to folks a lot. Yes, I've tried going to TOOLS above my browser.

• My download window doesn't work anymore. Its done it before, and I had to dump a folder in Firefox application folder somewhere. Anybody know what I talkin' bout? Seems to happen to folks a lot. Yes, I've tried going to TOOLS above my browser.

For that, I would just do a clean uninstall ( remove everything Firefox from program files and the registry), then re-install, and everything should be intact after that.

Or do a system restore from the last time you remember Firefox was working correctly, that should do it as well

• kubkub 46 Posts
    hi
    uninstall the version you are currently using. (start->control panel->software-> remove firefox)
    after you have done that, go to "my documents" you will maybe have to enable "show hidden files and folders" to be able to see the "hidden" mozilla directory, delete that aswell, it contains stuff from the prior installation which is not needed anymore.
    BEFORE you do all that make sure you save your bookmarks first. To do that in FF go to "Bookmarks" then "Organise Bookmarks" then click on "File" -> export. Once you have done that you will be able to import the bookmarks when you installed the new FF version.

Go to the Firefox page, install the latest version.
    After you have done that install this addon: http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

Things should be faster now, if you're still having speed issues while browsing after doing this, I'd recommend checking your inet line and/looking for spyware etc on your pc.

pz

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    DOR and kub...

Thank you VERY much. I followed your detailed instructions (which REALLY helped me out, by the way) and so far everything seems to be working much smoother.

I HEART SOULSTRUT.

Thanks, guys. For real, for real.

Herm

• Aaaargh!!!

I need help again.

Can anybody tell me why Firefox is STILL dragging on me? I have a PC and for some reason pages will either NOT load or load only after multiple refreshes. I thought it was my wireless connection and/or my memory, but my laptop works fine (same wireless) and I can surf via Internet Explorer on my PC with no problems.

This is frustrating!

Thanks in advance, hoLmeses.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    What is your PC's specs? Are you loading any Firefox Extensions. They seem to be the biggest thing that WEIGHS down a Firefox install. Also the more tabs you have open the more system resources are taken away. Can you use IE? Opera? Also have you tried this?

"Fix a memory leak in Firefox 1.0

Firefox is supposed to dynamically release memory from its RAM cache to other Windows applications as needed. Unfortunately, Firefox 1.0 seems to consume more memory than it should, which hurts performance, when set to the default of 51200 KB (51 MB).

To solve this, Firefox power users recommend limiting the memory cache using the Configuration Console. This frees up memory for other apps, speeding up everything to a greater or a lesser extent, depending on your machine and the applications you run. Here's how the trick works:

Step 1. Type about:config into Firefox's Address Bar and press Enter.

Step 2. Right-click any row, then click New, Integer. Type or paste the following preference name into the dialog box that appears (this is a hidden preference that doesn't exist in the Configuration Console until you create it):

browser.cache.memory.capacity

Step 3. Click OK, then enter the following integer number into the next dialog box, representing 16 MB of RAM for the cache:

Step 4. Click OK to close the dialog box, then close all instances of Firefox and restart it."

- spidey

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Aaaargh!!!

I need help again.

Can anybody tell me why Firefox is STILL dragging on me? I have a PC and for some reason pages will either NOT load or load only after multiple refreshes. I thought it was my wireless connection and/or my memory, but my laptop works fine (same wireless) and I can surf via Internet Explorer on my PC with no problems.

This is frustrating!

Thanks in advance, hoLmeses.

Do you have a proxy configured in Firefox?

Go to,

Tools, Options

Advanced, Network, Settings

Try switching from manual to auto, (if you're on manual).

If this makes a difference, maybe someone with more know-how can explain further, but this could be why IE works fine but Firefox drags..