The Independents - The First Time We Met

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Is this soothing to the soul? Should I pass it up for something else? Not expensive by no means, just wonderin?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That record must have sold 1 billion copies, because I see it ALL the time.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    That record must have sold 1 billion copies, because I see it ALL the time.

Well, that album had quite a few hits on it ("Leaving Me," "Just As Long As You Need Me," "Baby, I've Been Missing You"). The Independents weren't around very long (three albums and one of those was a best-of), but charted several singles while they were around. They weren't a smalltime cult act by any means - I still hear their songs on dusties radio shows from time to time.

If you're into early-'70s sweet soul, I highly recommend this group - lead singer Chuck Jackson (not to be confused with the solo soul singer who recorded for the same label, Wand) had some of the best rambling monologues on record this side of the Manhattans (or "Love Jones"). Both of their regular-release albums are worth getting (even though two or three of the songs are repeated on each LP). Matter of fact, the only reason why I don't own that First Time We Met LP is because I have most of those tracks on singles! I'd definitely say BUY IT if it turns up again (and it will, as the Non just pointed out).

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    INDEPENDENTS
    First Time We Met (Wand 72)
    The Independets were a three piece vocal Soul outfit from Chicago that featured Chuck Jackson, Jesse Jackson???s younger brother, who would later go on to be a prominent song writer for others. The First Time We Met was the group???s debut album after some successful singles. The opening I Just Want To Be There introduces the group???s rich style of crooning Soul with a talking beginning by Helen Curry. The groove continues with Out Love Has to Come Together and the slowed down Leaving Me and Couldn???t Hear Nobody Say (I Love You Like You Do)

Good Soul album. Doesn't knock your socks off but you can usually pick it up for $10 or less and it's not a waste of money.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I spin the "Just As Long As You Need Me" 45 at gigs from time to time, gets people dancing close & romantic.