The Saturday Knights

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I'm hanging at the radio station, and there's a new promo CDon Light in the Attic from this group sitting in front of me, sealed. I don't want to open it but I am wondering what the F is up with these hype quotes on the front sticker:
THE GETO BOYS MEET THE BEACH BOYS!
UNDERGROUND RAP HASN'T SOUNDED SO FUN SINCE THE PHARCYDE'S EARLY-90'S HEYDAY! - entertainment weekly
Is it actually as BAD as those quotes make it sound?

Comments

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I'm hanging at the radio station, and there's a new promo CD
    on Light in the Attic from this group sitting in front of me, sealed.
    I don't want to open it but I am wondering what the F is up with
    these hype quotes on the front sticker:

THE GETO BOYS MEET THE BEACH BOYS!

UNDERGROUND RAP HASN'T SOUNDED SO FUN SINCE
    THE PHARCYDE'S EARLY-90'S HEYDAY! - entertainment weekly

Is it actually as BAD as those quotes make it sound?

HAHA - I was wondering about this cd too. I haven't heard a thing, but I've loved a lot of the stuff Light in the Attic has put out over the years, be it reissues or The Black Angels.
    Those quotes are AWFUL.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yes it's bad. hipster rap at its worst (except maybe Busdriver)

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Local cats with some hot tunes IMO, their DJ, Suspence is my man so I'm kinda biased.
    KEXP has played the track "45" for quite some time.
    It's a great tune!
    Look for it.

The Saturday Knights '45'

Add to My Profile | More Videos

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Barfly is the shit. Dude can just straight up rap.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Local cats with some hot tunes IMO, their DJ, Suspence is my man so I'm kinda biased.
    KEXP has played the track "45" for quite some time.
    It's a great tune!
    Look for it.

The Saturday Knights '45'

Add to My Profile | More Videos

This is so far beyond awful. I don't even have the words.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, that was pretty terrible.

I only made it like 3/4 of the way through
    before I had to turn it off, but at no point
    was I hearing anything resembling the Beach Boys
    OR the Geto Boys ...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Whatevs to each their own.
    It's no cokeity kane crackity crack raps I know.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    "UNDERGROUND RAP"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Whatevs to each their own.
    It's no cokeity kane crackity crack raps I know.

tepid

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "UNDERGROUND RAP"

When was it exactly when "underground rap" came to mean "beginner rap"?

At least Busdriver dares to do his own thing...

Too many dudes thinking they can do just the bare minimum, template rap and then put it down on wax.

I live to hate on each of them one by one.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Too many dudes thinking they can do just the bare minimum, template rap and then put it down on wax.

I am sorry, but this reads like comedy. I didnt realize there was a special sequence of "shit-ya-gotta-do" before you can cut a record. I thought if you wanted to make a record and someone wanted to put it out, then, well you make a record. But, then again this is "rap" music, I forgot there were legions of people who will want to kill you if you dont make a record "real" enough...sorry but this kind of logic cracks me up...just say you dont like it and move on...they are not threatening your "real" way of life or anything, dude...

like, I said, comedy....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I am sorry, but this reads like comedy. I didnt realize there was a special sequence of "shit-ya-gotta-do" before you can cut a record. I thought if you wanted to make a record and someone wanted to put it out, then, well you make a record. But, then again this is "rap" music, I forgot there were legions of people who will want to kill you if you dont make a record "real" enough...sorry but this kind of logic cracks me up...just say you dont like it and move on...they are not threatening your "real" way of life or anything, dude...

like, I said, comedy....

Put it in rock terms...if someone was merely doing a bad Chuck Berry impersonation and offered little else other than reminding you how entirely superior an artist from x number of years ago is to them...then there's probably no need for a new record to be cut.

And yes, artists like this are at least somewhat threatening (albeit really more annoying than threatening) because they always tend to get at least a few journalists to label them as a much-neded throwback to what is supposedly "really real" which is usually connected to a negative shot thrown out at what is actually "really real" now (like Southern strip club rap). So yeah, I'd rather those records and those reviews never be manufactured in the first place.

I mean, Brother Ali can put out a derivative and lackluster, I-wish-it-was-1994-forever album all he wants. But when his street-teaming disciples start telling me that I, as someone who actually likes tons of rap made since '94, don't know hip-hop just because I id'ed his album in print as exactly what it is: derivative and lackluster...it gets to where fools just need to shut the fuck up with their contrary-to-the-present type bitching and moaning.