Hook Up Jamaican late pass #47488

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
it takes me awhile, not many Jamaican records 'round these parts, and the best stuff takes a long to time to surface, but I just got turned on to this guy by a misfiled/hidden record in the hip hop bins while I was looking for a mail order...Derrick Morgan! This stuff sounds good in the heat....

Comments

• great stuff on crab, pyramid, Beverley's, blue beat & his own "Hop" label among many many others (see duke & coxsone). Early hits include "Houswive's Choice" and "Don't call me Daddy" from the Blue beat Shuffle period of JA music.

original JA rude boy.

Also known for feud w/Prince Buster. Buster had a hit entitled "Judge Dread Judge 400 years" which slammed rude boys in a court room setting for all of their wrong doings in Jamaica at the time.

Morgan responded (with the help of Leslie Kong) with "Judge Dread in court" & "Court Dismiss".

The feud grew as Buster criticized Morgan for pairing with Kong saying that he was helping the Chinese take over the JA music business.

Buster responded with "Blackhead Chinaman" & "Watch it Blackhead" as the feud continued.

Although it was a friendly feud a feud nonetheless. One of my favorite tunes by Morgan would be a duet w/Patsy entitled "Love not to brag" on the Blue Beat label, check it out if you can find it. Also, his version of "Tears on my pillow" (not his Blue beat version w/Patsy) is a fucking scorcher if you can find it.

a great artist indeed.

Today he is still performing as i had the great pleasure of seeing him at this years SNWMF. His "Hop" record label is still going after all these years:

http://www.hoprecords.org/

here is a clip from the stellar "Forward March" documentary which features Morgan's tune with the same title (first tune in the clip).