My Project Piano

Egbert_SouseEgbert_Souse 920 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I mentioned it here a few times. My goal was to take a spinet piano and turn it 'digital'. I hit up craigslist, got a Lest Spinet, put it in the garage and started ripping it apart. What I wanted to do was get all the guts out, put a keyboard in, and have speakers inside the piano.Keys coming out: And going into the trash: The way the hammers work is pretty cool. I played with them for a while before I ripped them out. I put a shitty little controller in there just to see what it would look like. This is the "harp" of the piano. Thing weighs a ton. I had to use the claw end of a hammer to get the strings off. The bolts that the strings are wound around have fine grooves at the end and are screwed tightly into the wood of the piano. You are supposed to have a special tuning tool to wind/unwind them, so I had to use a rachet. None of the sizes really matched because of the odd shape, so they stripped easily and I had to use pliers a lot. It took days to get all of the screws out. Damn there was a lot of those bolt things. Harp is out. Its so heavy I don't know what to do with it. For now its just going to sit in the driveway until I can figure something out. All of the ingredient to go inside the piano (except for the shitty controller, I was waiting for the new one from guitar center but it was back ordered forever, so I had to use the little on in the meantime to play around.) Controller, Sound Module, Receiver, and speakers. Holes for speaker wire. And this is where the speakers sit. I wanted to use the piano's original sustain pedal, so I put a small "square" type pedal inside, stuck a bolt through that wood part so that when the pedal is pressed down it sends a sustain message to the keyboard. It actually works so well you can't tell the difference. I got tired of waiting for my controller to show up so I went to guitar center and got a floor model casio. The sounds aren't that great, but the keys felt awesome, and thats all I cared about anyways. I'm not using any of the sounds, or its speakers, but I'm too afraid to rip it apart, so it goes in as is. And... here is the (almost) final result: I had to saw off the left side of the where the keyboard rests because the casio wound up being 1/4 of an inch to wide!!!! I couldn't beleive it. I'm going to get a dremel this weekend and try to shape the sides so that the keyboard fits in nicely.I attached the sound module underneath the part that holds the keyboard, but now I'm thinking I'll saw out a section of that wood so that it become part of it. Mount it inside the wood instead of under. Eventually I would like to get a smaller receiver instead of the big ugly one sitting there.Also I got rid of the old casters (wheels) on the bottom and put in new 2 inch rubber wheels so its easy to move and won't fuck up our wood floor. The bigger wheels, plus the extra hight of the keyboard makes the piano sit higher that I'm used to, but thats ok.So there it is. I was really happy to finally play the piano again last night. Took me about 2 weeks to do this.

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    That looks cool man. Congratulations!

• The piano was a beat up peice of shit. scratches, gouges, paint splatter marks... But I don't care. I think its beautiful *sniff*!

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Let??s hear it!

- J

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    holler if you want me to come by this weekend with a 6 pack and an angle grinder so we can cut that harp up so you can get rid of it. looks nice g**y!
    edit: 18 pack. that harp looks big, and um, i get thirsty.

• that looks cool. Nice work. It would be nice if you painted the keyboard's grey surface to match the rest of the piano, but that might be asking too much. Nice work though. Seems like a fun project.

• that looks cool. Nice work. It would be nice if you painted the keyboard's grey surface to match the rest of the piano, but that might be asking too much. Nice work though. Seems like a fun project.

No, I definitely want to cover the gray part up. Its still a work in progress. Eventually I would like it too just look like a regular piano, instead of a keyboard sitting on what used to be a piano.

Gabe - I shall hollereth.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    holler if you want me to come by this weekend with a 6 pack and an angle grinder so we can cut that harp up so you can get rid of it. looks nice g**y!
    Beer and power tools. You from the South?

nope. i'm from a hippie-ass city in northern california. i just happen to like both beer and power tools.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Nice. Southern essence.

• We embrace our inner Cletus.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I would definitely try and rewire/re-string the leftover harp. Build a box for it to sit in or something. With electricity.

Even if you'd end up hating the instrument you could easily sell it.

• I would definitely try and rewire/re-string the leftover harp. Build a box for it to sit in or something. With electricity.

Even if you'd end up hating the instrument you could easily sell it.

What?

I'm not sure what you mean... like make a new piano out of it? With electricity? Electricity for what?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Electric harp, dude.

• dude i would electrocute and kill myself!!!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Not if you had enough beer to get the job done right! That looks great man, cool way to salvage an old peeanna.

• Options
    nope. i'm from a hippie-ass city in northern california. i just happen to like both beer and power tools.

Can we be friends?

Can we be friends?
    sure. I'll PM next time I'm visiting some power tool lovin' beer drinking car wrenching maniacs out on the strong island. (BOHEMIA, RONKONKOMA, CENTRAL ISLIP, HOLLER.)

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    What does it sound like with the speakers inside the piano? Does it sound like an electric piano just beyond a door, or in a room, or does it add some warmth like a natural acoustic? I play electric strings such as cello and am always curious as to how I can give the harmonic range of the electrics a warmer sound. I never thought of putting anything inbetween the speaker and the microphone except for distance and a pop screen.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    oh this is seriously cool. good job man.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    great googly moogly! i know how to play the bridge is over and the first part of "funky worm". i'll be down in september. les deu these!!

• What does it sound like with the speakers inside the piano? Does it sound like an electric piano just beyond a door, or in a room, or does it add some warmth like a natural acoustic? I play electric strings such as cello and am always curious as to how I can give the harmonic range of the electrics a warmer sound. I never thought of putting anything inbetween the speaker and the microphone except for distance and a pop screen.

The jury is still out on that. It seems like on certain notes there is a weird frequency ringing or something like that. I was thinking that since the sound came from inside the wood in the first place that putting the speakers there might add a little realism. But it will of course never sound totally real without the resonance of the harp and the movement sound of all the hammers.

I've never heard of an electric cello (sounds cool) but I guess 2 ways to get a warmer sound would be maybe to play with some slight reverb or something? Cellos don't really reverb like a piano does, so thats a good question. The other way would be to get a regular cello

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Pardon my ignorance, but what was your goal in doing this? It looks like you're using the "shell" of the original piano to hold the Casio keyboard, sound module and the speakers? Couldn't you have just put all that stuff on a desk, table or something similar and achieve the same result? Are you thinking the acoustics of the "shell" of the piano will add some nice harmonics or something to the sound from the speakers? Wouldn't removing the innards of the original piano alter the acoustics anyway? Did you do this to have a nice aesthetically pleasing piano-like instrument in your living room? Please school me, I just don't get it.

• I just wanted it to "look" like a piano, thats all. nothing special. It still needs work to actually look like a real piano though. Its not done yet.