Proposed Atlanta Bill Would Ban Baggy Pants

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Will I get fined next time I'm in the "A" and I get my sag on? LOL!From CNN.COM.........ATLANTA -- Baggy pants that show boxer shorts or thongs would be illegal under a proposed amendment to Atlanta's indecency laws.The amendment, sponsored by Atlanta city councilman C.T. Martin, states that sagging pants are an "epidemic" that is becoming a "major concern" around the country.Martin said he doesn't want young people thinking that being half-dressed is the way to go.The proposed ordinance would also bar women from showing the strap of a thong beneath their pants.The proposed ordinance states that "the indecent exposure of his or her undergarments" would be unlawful in a public place. It would go in the same portion of the city code that outlaws sex in public.Martin said the penalty would be a fine.But American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia executive director Debbie Seagraves said any legislation that creates a dress code would not survive a court challenge. She said the law could not be enforced in a nondiscriminatory way because it targets something that came out of the black youth culture.Martin said he plans to hold public hearings and vet the proposal through churches, civil rights groups and neighborhood organizations. The proposal will get its first public airing next Tuesday in the City Council's Public Safety Committee.Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

The proposed ordinance would also bar women from showing the strap of a thong beneath their pants.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Publicity stunt. These bills come around frequently everywhere around the country and are never taken seriously, yet always seem to make the news.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    first rap, now baggy pants, councilmen are really mad doggie!

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Martin said he doesn't want young people thinking that being half-assed is the way to go.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I been speaking on this for years.