mistaken celebrity sitings/disses

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
You ever see someone and make fun of them and then find out it's really the celebrity that you were making fun of the person for looking like?My girlfriend just called from work saying she saw Flavor Flav walking around downtown SF. I asked if people were following him and she said no. It was just him and a young kid. She looked it up and I guess he was casting Flavor of Love 3 this past weekend. You'd think people would be following him around, especially near Union Square. Maybe nobody cares. She said she saw a guy with a huge clock and was thinking "geez, that guy is totally biting his style, how lame." But it was him.Reminded me of the time I was driving down Haight Street, probably around 1999 or 2000 and saw some Common-esque dude wearing a dashiki from a block or two away. Like a smart ass, I said "hey look, it's Common." We got closer and it was him. There was a Gavin convention, so he was in town. This was after One Day It Will All Make Sense and I remember kind of frowning on his post "Ressurection" ways. I'm sorry I was so juvenile back then Common. I also saw Johnny Knoxville at Amoeba and made some smart ass comment about him being a "Johnny Knoxville stunt double" to a friend. It really was him though. He's tiny in real life. and for no reason at all...

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    my friend used to install security systems in North Jersey. i had just gotten fired from my job so he let me work with him for a week.

one morning we were in Upper Saddle River installing a system in this mansion on the super early tip. by 10:30 am we were starving so we went to go to the bagel store to get sandwiches.

we were driving the workvan up the street and we see this black man with long ass hair in a tracksuit and my friend was like "look at this fucking dude...fake ass Wyclef..."

2 seconds later we pass Wyclef jogging

• that's the best part about it. You see the celebrity from a distance and the initial reaction is "look at this fake ass _______"

• When I worked at Starbucks, I kicked Tia Carrera's little doggie out of the store.

I was trash talking Digable Planets behind a venue they were playing at back in the early nineties. Just being a hatter.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Tia Carrera

damn I almost sorta remember when this chick was a celebrity.

look for her on celeb fit club in 3-4 yrs. I'd say.

• Not exactly on topic, but I just remembered a story from a friend of mine who used to work in a video store in Hollywood.

Many years ago, Sammy Davis, Jr. came into his store. My friend, who had lived in Hollywood for years, was starstruck nonetheless. Sammy browses for a while, then sidles up to the counter and says, "You know the name, right?" Then he pauses for a second and adds, "Ben Vereen."

[I realize that no one under 35 will even know who Ben Vereen is, but man, I love that story. It made me think that Sammy was that much cooler.]

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Not exactly on topic, but I just remembered a story from a friend of mine who used to work in a video store in Hollywood.

Many years ago, Sammy Davis, Jr. came into his store. My friend, who had lived in Hollywood for years, was starstruck nonetheless. Sammy browses for a while, then sidles up to the counter and says, "You know the name, right?" Then he pauses for a second and adds, "Ben Vereen."

[I realize that no one under 35 will even know who Ben Vereen is, but man, I love that story. It made me think that Sammy was that much cooler.]

Who said "Ben Vereen"? Sammy or your friend? I just brought up BV into conversation the other day, and I don't think the person I was talking to had the slightest idea who he was.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Think again, my friend.

• Who said "Ben Vereen"? Sammy or your friend?

Sammy!

• last week i was dragged to some seedy party at a surely condemned building around skid row, next to an aluminum plant (NAGL indeed). while there were a humble amount of people there, i had made fun about the dj looking like King Tee and how the area looked like war-torn Moscow. later found it was Tee. the smell of aluminum stayed on my clothes.

was it here that i heard that someone spotted Common walking along the freeway, around the time when he first moved here (LA)?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    a few weeks ago i saw ice tee and coco /fake-o boob -o [who really is stunningly beautiful with a smoking behind ,besides all of that saline and peroxide] and little ice [who ain't so little at 13-14 looking all awkward and teenaged out] coming out of duane reade down the block from my crib on my way to get a salad at whole foods

I happened to have that week's flea market scores in the back of the whip and was able to get my grip on "the power" inna second-as I was driving by

I was like "yo ice"
    and held up the lp and gave the "power fist"
    which he threw back at me with a shit eating grin

the look on homie's face was at first as stunned as mine

i can't beleive I had the lp in the top of the pile,recognized him and grabbed it on the fly without breaking
    all of this happened in 5 seconds as he stepped out the store while I spun around the corner of the parking lot

funny timng in this universe

i didn't stop to mob him or get it autographed like i should have.

too much respect for the pimp's game and I am too old/worked with too many "famous" folks at this point in my life to be bothered

• celebrity sightings, not sitings.

That Sammy Davis Jr story is pretty awesome.

• I used to work at the theatre where Vanilla Ice got punched in the face by a straight edger. It was pretty funny. As they ran to the tour bus the whole club followed them throwing bottles at the bus.

• a few weeks ago i saw ice tee and coco /fake-o boob -o [who really is stunningly beautiful with a smoking behind ,besides all of that saline and peroxide] and little ice [who ain't so little at 13-14 looking all awkward and teenaged out] coming out of duane reade down the block from my crib on my way to get a salad at whole foods

I happened to have that week's flea market scores in the back of the whip and was able to get my grip on "the power" inna second-as I was driving by

I was like "yo ice"
    and held up the lp and gave the "power fist"
    which he threw back at me with a shit eating grin

the look on homie's face was at first as stunned as mine

i can't beleive I had the lp in the top of the pile,recognized him and grabbed it on the fly without breaking
    all of this happened in 5 seconds as he stepped out the store while I spun around the corner of the parking lot

funny timng in this universe

i didn't stop to mob him or get it autographed like i should have.

too much respect for the pimp's game and I am too old/worked with too many "famous" folks at this point in my life to be bothered

Best kala post so far.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    A couple nights ago, I was in Pomona waiting for the blonde redhead show. This older dude comes up to me and my little bro with this young girl. I go to my brother, "Hey there goes Brian Posehn the comedian."

I had to remind him of Devil's rejects and Human Giant. He comes closer, and I realize it's actually Eric Wareheim from the Tim and Eric Awesome show.

SO I let out a Peter Griffin-ish "Neeeehh" and point to him. He points back akwardly. Then I go to my bro, "Maybe they were seperated from Birth?"

- spidey

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts
    This a true story but sadly the guy that told me passed away years ago from a heroin overdose, okay the dude was named G and he was the driver for De La Soul when they toured New Zealand in 1991.

Pos, Dove, Mase and some of thier entourage were hungry so they stopped in a Mall to get some KFC (Buckets no less) and while the entourage and the driver went to get the food, the crew stayed in the van.

While the crew were just chilling and waiting on thier grub, some glue sniffing street kids, started banging on the windows and giving them the middle finger and then tried to rock the van, De La were pissed off so the three of them got out of the van's back doors and gave these street kids a thumping they would never forget or in their words as told to me by the late G. Dwyer "showed those chumps what a real beating is like Long Island, New York style".

By the time the guys came out with the food, the street kids had run off and De La Soul were signing autographs and talking to kids in the Mall.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i once sold a lynyrd skynyrd boxset to Brad Pitt, at the wherehouse record shop at sunset and la brea (RIP). he said his had been stolen at a party so he had to re-buy it. Only it was '93 and i didnt really know who he was yet (disconnected). my female co-workers were crying that somehow he picked my counter to check out at, and they were gonna kill me when i said "brad who?". they also tried to steal his check from my register (it had his autograph and love vibes on it, apparently.)

other sightings at that store, all within a few months included:
    henry rollins (fruitlessly looking for a caddyshack laserdisc). actually he came in often, he was a video rental club member there.
    ice cube (whoa)
    Catherine O'Hara (mom in home alone, etc)

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i once sat at a table at a strip club in las vegas with ice t and guru during a convention. ice t was a dick and was pissed because they sat him at our table. guru, on the other hand, was cool, giving pounds and talking to us the whole night.

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts
    i once sat at a table at a strip club in las vegas with ice t and guru during a convention. ice t was a dick and was pissed because they sat him at our table. guru, on the other hand, was cool, giving pounds and talking to us the whole night.

I met Ice-T once, he was a short arrogant dickhead and I gave away all of my Ice-T tapes and CD's after that.