Listening to a PET SOUNDS ACAPELLA...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
... for the first time. I'm kind of flabbergasted. Is that even a word? Like dudes, I don't even know what to say it. I'm hearing all sorts of shit that I've never heard before. I know it's cliche o be like "Dudes, PET SOUNDS" and all but I'm just saying. I don't think I've actually listened to the album since like maybe 1998 or 1999. Funny thing, when I first met my wife, during one of the first conversations, we got into a discussion about "favorite producers" and I said "Brian Wilson" which I knew threw her for a loop, but thankfully didn't scare her away.So yeah, I just was listening to the "Pet Sounds" INSTRUMENTAL album that someone upped not too long ago. AGAIN, hearing things that I never heard before, new and fresh things.But yeah, that acapella jawn, dudes. What the fuck? You know, I don't even have the whole thing! haha Fuck it!

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Maybe we can turn this into a "Music that gives you consistant revelations" - new things being revealed each listen you take. That happens when I listen to Fela, I hear new shit all the time.

Dudes, Pet Sounds is 41 years old!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I was never really sold on the Beach Boys until I heard the tracks
    broken down like this, and realized just how ill they really were.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

fresh. where'd you get this from?

I have some shit I downloaded way back, 2 comps
    of random instros/acapellas/outtakes. I can upload
    them in the *shhh* spot if you want.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That shit is ill.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Wow that's pretty amazing to hear. Pet Sounds is such an amazingly recorded/engineered/produced record, nothing else like it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    *shhh* spot

I could only find one of the 2 so far, but I'm uploading it now.
    It's a big file so I may pass out before it's done - it'll
    be up there by morning though.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Thanks. That file gives me a new appreciation for them. Honestly, those records have always been too "white" for me ( [color:white]White Guilt Alert![/color] ), but I'm ready to give these harmonious crackers another listen.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    harmonious crackers

harmonious crackers

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts
    ... for the first time. I'm kind of flabbergasted. Is that even a word? Like dudes, I don't even know what to say it. I'm hearing all sorts of shit that I've never heard before. I know it's cliche o be like "Dudes, PET SOUNDS" and all but I'm just saying. I don't think I've actually listened to the album since like maybe 1998 or 1999. Funny thing, when I first met my wife, during one of the first conversations, we got into a discussion about "favorite producers" and I said "Brian Wilson" which I knew threw her for a loop, but thankfully didn't scare her away.

So yeah, I just was listening to the "Pet Sounds" INSTRUMENTAL album that someone upped not too long ago. AGAIN, hearing things that I never heard before, new and fresh things.

But yeah, that acapella jawn, dudes. What the fuck? You know, I don't even have the whole thing! haha Fuck it!

Flabbergasted is a word, The Beach Boys were one of those groups that were ahead of their time and it was clear that Brian Wilson enjoyed being a studio...I know exactly what you mean by hearing things later on or that you haven't before, I still get that from the first two De La Soul albums.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    someone

hi

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    Hey dude, thanks for this. I've been debating getting that box set forever, but I could never pull the trigger because all I really wanted was the vocal stuff, and I couldn't justify paying $40+ for just those tracks.

I'd like to pay you back somehow. You got this? http://www.beachboysguide.com/index.php/Landlocked_%28HNG-10%29

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Hey dude, thanks for this. I've been debating getting that box set forever, but I could never pull the trigger because all I really wanted was the vocal stuff, and I couldn't justify paying $40+ for just those tracks.

I'd like to pay you back somehow. You got this? http://www.beachboysguide.com/index.php/Landlocked_%28HNG-10%29

post it up!
    i'd appreciate that ish.

I don't have Landlocked. Would love to hear it. Honestly, I think the Pet Sounds boxed set is worth it. I'm sure you can turn up a used copy. It's great to see how Brian layered all those tracks.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I think the Pet Sounds boxed set is worth it.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    hey Talented Tenth and Fatback...

thanks so much for bringing this topic up, and for having this to share. Really enjoying it and can't thank you enough.

cheers....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    For sure, dude. No matter how many NRR threads there are on this forum, about racism and politics and just useless drivel, ultimately this spot is all about music sharing and discussion. Glad this thread put your head in a good state.

• hey Talented Tenth and Fatback...

thanks so much for bringing this topic up, and for having this to share. Really enjoying it and can't thank you enough.

cheers....

this is great. big thanks.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    when I first met my wife, during one of the first conversations, we got into a discussion about "favorite producers"

You're a lucky man Cos! I feel like I never meet girls who are even into anything... *sigh*

Dude, I SURE AM. (Now that doesn't mean that she actually AGREED with my choice haha...)

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Wow, "Till I Die" is some next shit.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts

wow thats like a Morricone score or something, or the other way around. Post count is not heavy enough for shhh may i partake in some other manner please

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Wow, "Till I Die" is some next shit.

The version off "Landlocked"? It's on some proto-dub shit, isn't it? I found that version on Lovefingers a year or so ago and was wondering where it originated from. This thread is a good look all round.

I've got Dennis Wilson's "Bamboo" demos at home, and I'll try and throw them up this evening if anyone's interested.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I???ve been listening to these acappellas an awful lot over the last week, and think about why they affect me like they do and where they fit in. My first thinking was: Well, doo-wop, of course???flawless, white-as-the-whale doo-wop. But they???re not, really???not at all. It???s true that these vocals and doo-wop vocals both originate in the same purity of feeling and unyielding insistence on the perfect world that hides just behind this one, but the faith of doo-wop is that this second world is an elusive one???unreachable by the single voice or the sensical syllable, it can never be grasped fully or even viewed directly. Doo-wop???s meaning is entirely in its reaching: reaching for that better love, that greater truth, that more-perfect union that???s always twisting just beyond our grasp and racing just ahead of us. These Beach Boys acappellas point toward a similar dimension, a beautiful, round place, orange with all the promise that is occluded by everyday life, but???and here is their genius???even as they insist upon the existence of this better world, they assure you that it will wait for you. I mean, think about that: It will wait for you. It???s fucking dizzying, that kind of permission. You know, Beach Boys vocals always get described as ethereal and ghostly and fragile and all that shit, but that???s not true: they are so clearly human labor, work done well (incredibly well), and of sound that is grammatically immaculate, a tabernacle of joined voice that communicates humanity at its warmest and most resolved. Doo-wop is the water that you can cup in your hands, these acappellas are the apple that you can hold. The sympathy and sheer generosity in them is just amazing.

Thanks very much, Fatback, for posting these up.

p.s.: The Pet Sounds acappellas shit on the Pet Sounds instrumentals. I mean absolutely shit on them. All day.

???

Incidentally, some folks here might be interested in Eat The Document by Dana Spiotta, a novel from last year. It???s a flawed book, but it???s a real quick read, and while the main plotlines concern 1960s political activism vs. modern political activism and a former-radical mother???s estrangement from her nineteen-year-old son, music and record collecting are compelling leitmotifs throughout (records like Maggot Brain, Oar, Pacific Ocean Blue, et al. all get speaking roles) and some of the (sub)cultural anthropology is as undeniable as it is uncomfortably recognizable.

Exhibit A: The realization that your parents may have at some point actually, you know, listened to music:
    She, my mother, had apparently walked by my open bedroom door as I was blaring ???Our Prayer.??????

???Great song,??? she said. Then it began again and I lowered it reluctantly.

???A teenage symphony to God,??? I said, quoting the liner notes that quoted Brian Wilson.

???Yes, that???s right,??? she said, nodding. ???They always sound most like that when there aren???t any words. When they use their voices as instruments. Just pure, perfect form.???

So she said this kind of smart thing about the Beach Boys and then wandered off to refill her glass or something. That???s the first time I remember thinking, How can that be????

Exhibit B: The ease with which a great amount of Received Information is subtly undermined by a small amount of Carbon-Based Experience:
    ???Dennis Wilson. He was the drummer for the Beach Boys,??? I said.

???Honestly, Jason, I think I know who Dennis Wilson is. I grew up during those days. You???re the one who shouldn???t know who Dennis Wilson is,??? she said, now annoyed. Gage laughed.

???I didn???t realize you followed popular music, I said.

???How much do you have to follow to know the Beach Boys???? she said. ???It???s not like the Beach Boys are obscure. I mean Nancy Reagan liked the Beach Boys. I think that disqualifies them from ???cult??? status.??????

I began calmly, patiently: ???The Beach Boys??? extreme commercial popularity is precisely one of the reasons they are cult figures???But I don???t expect you to understand my appreciation for the Beach Boys???

My mother nodded, smiling. She paused for a moment as if she were about to speak, but I had not finished.

???Dennis Wilson is the double whammy, because even though he is well known as the only good-looking Beach Boy, as a musician he is an obscure member of this very famous band??????

???I met Dennis Wilson once,??? she said softly.

??????and his solo records are therefore truly cult?????? She smiled at me. I stopped for a second. She sucked daintily on her pipe.

???What????

I said I met Dennis Wilson once,??? she said.

Exhibit C:
    My friends???what few friends I have???are the types guys who will argue about whether the rare RCA single version of ???Eight Miles High??? is superior to the track issued on Fifth Dimension, the Byrds??? album release. It isn???t, but it is cool to ask the question because it proves you know there are two versions and you are conversant with both. It is even cooler to maintain that the album???a common, reissued object???does have the superior version, and not the rare, hard-to-find single. (This is true, despite the fact, perhaps inconsequential, that the LP version is actually the superior version.) It is perverse, and very sophisticated in these circles, to maintain the common, popular object is the better object. Only a neophyte or a real expert would argue such a thing.

Soulstrut/Waxidermy, I???ll bet you think this song is about you.

• thanks, James.

thanks, James.

Yes. Really nice post, James. I don't know if people noticed, but inside the acapella folder was additional instrumentals that were not in my first post re: instr PET SOUNDS. The instrumental versions of Cabinessence and Surfs Up are what I've been playing all week. I can't remember, I think they came from the Woody Box bonus disk.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I was unimpressed at first listen to this. I threw a couple songs on my current listens playlist at work, and now I can't get enough of it. I wholeheartedly agree with the appreciation shown here.