Columbia GP-3 Where to buy one?

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Yeah so I never bought one back in the day like a sucker. Now I want one but Dustygroove doesn't seem to sell them anymore and I'm apparently shit out of luck. Anyone know where I can score one these days?

Comments

• NutsNuts 44 Posts
    What's the going rate nowadays? I have a spare one that I might part with for the right amount.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Don't have a clue but I have cash and some nice trades to boot at the moment.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    speaking of which....

anyone know how to fix these? for some reason mine won't play any more. the record spins but nothing comes out of the speaker or headphones. any idears?

• i need a needle/cartridge for mines

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i need a needle/cartridge for mines

me too. they're hard to find.

i need a needle/cartridge for mines

me too. they're hard to find.

Try here Good guys and helpful over the phone to boot.
    http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I'm sure the fine people at the needle doctor could help you with a new needle:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Contact

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah so I never bought one back in the day like a sucker. Now I want one but Dustygroove doesn't seem to sell them anymore and I'm apparently shit out of luck.

Anyone know where I can score one these days?

Pointman - where do you live? There are some places that still carry this retail (Amoeba in L.A. for example). I usually see about $100-125 on it?

You sure you want a GP-3 though? Vs. the Vestax or Numark or another kind of player? I like the GP-3 ok but the mono headphone jack is kind of a pain in the ass even if it's easy enough to modify with a converter plug. Lack of RCA outs is an issue for other folks.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Retails for about $80 US in Japan, you can get them anywhere... Tokyu Hands, Audio Union, etc.

Needles are about $8 available at nearly all audio equipment stores...

dunno where to get them stateside, but I'm sure you can mail order them... watch out for the limited editions...

www.myspace.com/breakbeatraer

peace

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I was just about to ask this question. I had the Numark one and it was shit, really like the GP-3 though, the Vestax is really just a copy of it and is too bulky. If someone finds a retailer that will ship to the states then hook it up.

• The gp-3 is cool an all, but really, I would never buy another one. I have had mine since around 96-97 and it works but I'm not lovin the brittle plastic casing or its bulk. I picked an old singer portable turntable close to a year ago and it crushes. You can find them with/without headphone and tone controls but they seem to be much sturdier than the gp-3. It is heavier but it is also smaller and alot louder than the columbia.

If i found one, I'd prolly roll with a soundburger, they seem to be the best combo of sound quality, size and headphone jack havingness.

my 2cents.

• nver understood how numark or vestax couldnt get shit right after gp3 had already made a solid (although not perfect) product. a couple tweaks and additions to GP3 would have made it legendary. how come none of these fuckers have better sound than a fisher price or a late 70s solid state? what thefuck is that????
    i still maintain that the fisherprices are the best value. hardly ever break. line outs and headphone jacks would be nice.

i rarely use my sound burger. obnoxious taking the records in and out. they do good that nice aerodynamic design though, for what its worth

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i'm not living under the same roof as all my equipment and records, so i've been using my gp3 with the mpc. it constantly picks up this hollow sound. i know it's no 1200, but i'm limited on space. i'm about to throw a hoodie under it or something. shit's gettting ridonkulous. i cannot make a beat of nothing but runout groove etchings if i keep getting this noise.

haelp.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    nver understood how numark or vestax couldnt get shit right after gp3 had already made a solid (although not perfect) product. a couple tweaks and additions to GP3 would have made it legendary. how come none of these fuckers have better sound than a fisher price or a late 70s solid state? what thefuck is that????
    i still maintain that the fisherprices are the best value. hardly ever break. line outs and headphone jacks would be nice.

i rarely use my sound burger. obnoxious taking the records in and out. they do good that nice aerodynamic design though, for what its worth

To me, the Soundburger is where it's at. Hands-down, the best designed and engineered portable out there. I don't think taking the records in and out is a problem if you don't close the clamshell. The only two beefs I have with it is:

1) The tonearm could be a little heavier since it's really easy to jump the needle.
    2) THe player is unforgiving of any warps in the records being played.

Other than that though, for the size and sound quality, it's far ahead of the GP3, Vestax, Numark, all that.

Yeah so I never bought one back in the day like a sucker. Now I want one but Dustygroove doesn't seem to sell them anymore and I'm apparently shit out of luck.

Anyone know where I can score one these days?

Pointman - where do you live? There are some places that still carry this retail (Amoeba in L.A. for example). I usually see about $100-125 on it?

You sure you want a GP-3 though? Vs. the Vestax or Numark or another kind of player? I like the GP-3 ok but the mono headphone jack is kind of a pain in the ass even if it's easy enough to modify with a converter plug. Lack of RCA outs is an issue for other folks.

I live in Houston.

I've had a Vestax, it was a absolute piece of shit. My Numark was okay but nothing great and it was destroyed on a plane. I still have a soundburger but I don't like using it when trying to get through records quickly. This leaves me with GP-3s or trying to find a nice shape vintage player.

I wonder if I can get Amoeba to mail order one for me?