Neicy Appreciation Post (broken ankle related)

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Beyond the fact that this lady can sing her head off and has made some of my favorite songs ever (Silly is just one of the greatest of all time in my opinion) This lady can perform!On Saturday I went to Sunset junction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Junction_Street_Fair, My intention was to go see Blonde Redhead but while waling around I saw tom Noble and he let me know that I just missed the Emotions playing on the second stage and Deniece Williams was set to perform next, I had no idea she was performing but at that point I knew I had to get to that second stage STAT. I rushed out there just in time to see the MC say "Making her way to the stage... THIS IS NEICY" and out she walks in a silver dress going acapella singing "God Is Amazing" for about 3 minutes. The crowd was getting pretty deep into it and all of a sudden she gets a little too close to the front of the stage and falls off plummeting down about 5 or 6 feet. The crowd went silent, a young man ran from behind the stage yelling "Mom!??? After a couple minutes the young man picked up a mic and introduced himself to the crowd as Deniece's son and asked for prayer. The band started playing "That Old rugged Cross" and the young man sang. After about 5 minutes of not hearing anything Deniece's voice came over the speakers saying, "I may have got hurt but I ain't done yet" at that point she starts to sing and the crowd starts grooving. After the song she is carried up on stage and placed in a folding chair where she proceeds to sing "Silly" "Black Butterfly" and "Free" making the crowd absolutely nuts. She was about to perform another song when the ambulance arrived taking her away in a wheelchair. As she was being carried she flashed the audience and made the joke "I only had 2 secrets left in the world and now you guys know one of them" The show was absolutely amazing and the professionalism of rocking the stage broken ankle and all was mind blowing. This lady deserves all the praise in the world for her performance and her musical legacyLets hear it for the girl!

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yes that is a solid lp

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    "That's What Friends Are For" is like Cliff Notes of what I look for in a woman.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Wow, that's a hell of a story! My Moms went to high school with Denice Williams in Gary and This is Nicey is my favorite record from what my folks had accumulated over the years.

As she was being carried she flashed the audience and made the joke "I only had 2 secrets left in the world and now you guys know one of them"

Flashed as in..?

Secrets as in..?

"I'm CURIOUS"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Maurice White

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Damn, Blonde redhead was dissapointing this weekend. I feel bad I missed this sunset junction show. I probably could've caught neicy. Did Breakestra end up playing?

- spidey

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    FUCK FUCK FUCK. I went on Saturday to Sunset Junction and caught the tail-end of the Rock Stage. I passed by the delightful sounds of some Gospel/R&B singers on my way to the overcrowded and tepid Blonde Redhead stage. I KNEW I WAS MISSING OUT SOMETHING GOOD OVER AT THE R&B/SOUL STAGE!

Guzzo, I should hook up with yall next time I roll out to this. Ain't nothing like enjoying a show with like-minded peeps.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Damn, Blonde redhead was dissapointing this weekend.

Not bad for what it is, but I didn't see what the rage is about.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Maurice White

+

Charles Stepney

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Damn, Blonde redhead was dissapointing this weekend.

Not bad for what it is, but I didn't see what the rage is about.

Sorry to hijack.

They are a good band, and write good songs and have a few great songs. However I didn't expect them to karaoke there own songs with these elaborate backing tracks. Kazu looked pretty sick during the show i caught, and they were having troubles getting the soundman to mute her overdub vocal many times. There were also moments where there was a drum machine banging with simone only adding some hihat, Amadeo tapping the strings on his guitar percussively, and kazu dancing around. While the backing track did all the work for the entire song.

I dunno, I guess if I was less of a musician I would've enjoyed it more. As of now though, I was dissapointed, because they are a good band. They did do melody of certain three without a backing track, and it was the best song of the night.

- spidey

• saw them last night, and i chatted with their engineer, Doug Kallmeyer.
    given that they rightfully go for their "sound", they just-as-dauntingly play and synchronize their effects and samples with, arguably, equal musicianship.
    besides those drum machine beats, their drummer doesnt use click and commands most of their set manually. he uses some sort of trigger on his leg, too, among other shit.
    plus, doug, does some zany stuff in the booth too, all live.
    their opening band, Midnight Movies, were pretty good too btw.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Wow, that's a hell of a story! My Moms went to high school with Denice Williams in Gary and This is Nicey is my favorite record from what my folks had accumulated over the years.

As she was being carried she flashed the audience and made the joke "I only had 2 secrets left in the world and now you guys know one of them"

Flashed as in..?

Secrets as in..?

"I'm CURIOUS"

yeah she flashed the audience. It wasn't like she planned to do it though, hen 2 dudes are lifting you out of a folding chair and into a wheelchair while your wearing a short dress you pretty much are looking stuck.

I caught a little bit of the Blonde Redhead but like I said earlier was feeling walking through the fair more than standing looking at the back of some ironic haircut.