Walk Hard/Apatow is killing it!

cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
This dude is hands down the king of comedy right now!

Jack White as Elvis, sweet!

Comments

• He's got a solid track record.

Freaks and Geeks is one of the best tv shows nobody watched.

Undeclared was a great, not as quality, but still some really funny shit. In the commentary for the final episode he talks about how he knew the show was going to be canceled, so he wrote the entire episode for all the side characters and featured almost none of the main characters. He was hoping for a spin off. He's a funny dude. The commentaries are as good as the episodes.

I wonder how this movie will do. I guess it's kind of similar to Anchorman in it's over the top-ness, but I think one of the appeals of Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin was that it was rooted in normal people. Obviously not normal, but they were semi-relatable to people in real life. I wonder if this Cox character is too far out for the average movie goon. I'll be watching it for sure.

Judd Apatow...

• i like how both first and last names are dropped over and again in this clip when dealing with celebrities - for some reason that really made me laugh!

and this movie is obviously a parody of all these musician biopics, just with more melodrama and fun attached to it. it's been mentioned before on this board, but there was a made for tv movie about the beach boys that came out a few years ago which walked a fine line between drama and melodrama, biography and camp, probably unintentionally though. it had me glued to the screen.

i think this film will work. borat was certainly "over the top."

paul rudd doing a british accent.

• borat was certainly "over the top."

good point.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    i like how both first and last names are dropped over and again in this clip when dealing with celebrities - for some reason that really made me laugh!

and this movie is obviously a parody of all these musician biopics, just with more melodrama and fun attached to it. it's been mentioned before on this board, but there was a made for tv movie about the beach boys that came out a few years ago which walked a fine line between drama and melodrama, biography and camp, probably unintentionally though. it had me glued to the screen.

i think this film will work. borat was certainly "over the top."

paul rudd doing a british accent.

VH1 made a biopic about Meatloaf which was really entertaining. Moreso for the fact that the guy playing Meatloaf reminded me of Chris Farley.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    borat was certainly "over the top."

good point.

But Borat and this film have very different styles. I'd see this but I agree - it's definitely a step away from the kind of comedy of "Knocked Up" and "40 Year Old."

I'm still down for it, regardless.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    theres a trailer for this before 'superbad', which was very funny.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i cannot wait for this! something tells me that john c. reilly can comedy sing really good.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i cannot wait for this! something tells me that john c. reilly can comedy sing really good.

SAYING

Did I see a marina rock snippet tucked away in there? Apatow is a strutter? Lol.