Bend it like Beckham

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I ain't gonna lie. I enjoyed the movie.Congrats to dude scoring on the free kick in his first start. Quality shot. Vintage Beckham.Lotta people hate. I can't...Two notes: The goalie looked like he was playing peewee soccer.American commentating kinda sucks. Don't they know yet to get a brit to cover the games?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I quite like how, because of the long-distance vantage point of the camera, you appreciate the distance involved. 30-35 yards? The keeper was easily deceived/rubbish, but I think the shot was just really fast.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

The goalie looked like he was playing peewee soccer wasn't even trying to stop the shot.

congrats for becks though...hopefully folks will lay off him a little now. 5yr contract and folks are hating that he's out with an injury for a month.

and cosign on the american announcers. so painful to watch.

• The goalie looked like he was playing peewee soccer is 12 years old

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    LOL @ the superfluous reference to PNE. Glad to see Abel Xavier's still rocking the King Neptune steez as well.

Lovely strike, but the keeper was rubbish. Moving before the ball's even been struck?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The shot of Victoria with the baby clapping (about 28 seconds in) is priceless. She looks like the least enthused person in the stadium at that moment.

• American commentating kinda sucks. Don't they know yet to get a brit to cover the games?

That's why I watch these games on the Spanish stations. Even if my Spanish is shit. The awfulness of the American commenting is too distracting.

I think getting Brits to call the games would only hurt the cause for promoting the sport here that much more. Most Americans would be confused and put-off by the accent and lingo. And it would make the sport seem that much more foreign/unacceptable.

They just need to get better American announcers, and those announcers need to develop a new, better way of calling the games for an American audience, instead of a) trying to emulate the British or Spanish-language announcers, or b) trying to call soccer games the way they call baseball or football games.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Say what you want about Posh and Becks... there's no doubting his footie skills. I was never a fan of Man Utd, but he was always a fantastic player to watch.
    As for Posh in the stands... nothing she hasn't seen a thousand times before i'm sure, but yeah you'd have thought she'd be a bit more enthusiastic being his first for LA.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I watched that replay and the keeper had no chance on that play. He barely moved before the shot. Upper corner is game over.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    mls isnt even worth discussing.

Well, the topic isn't really mls.

But I think mls is alright. It's definitely been a giant success here in Toronto.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    mls isnt even worth discussing.

Well, the topic isn't really mls.

But I think mls is alright. It's definitely been a giant success here in Toronto.

i guess what i meant was: beckham scoring on piss poor competition isnt worth discussing.

But it was a nice kick, MLS or not.. And for all the people pissing on him lately. I like when dudes come in and do it up like that!

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i hate american production of soccer games...producers are ADD cant keep it to a single camera angle....the close up camera angles are FOR REPLAYS not for live action. also the random shots of females in the crowd last night DURING LIVE ACTION, i mean i can appreciate the beauty of a female soccer fans, but damn im tryin to watch a corner.

and lack of knowledge is a given with american commentators. dave o'brien anyone?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i hate american production of soccer games...producers are ADD cant keep it to a single camera angle....the close up camera angles are FOR REPLAYS not for live action. also the random shots of females in the crowd last night DURING LIVE ACTION, i mean i can appreciate the beauty of a female soccer fans, but damn im tryin to watch a corner.

and lack of knowledge is a given with american commentators. dave o'brien anyone?

how about the "beckham cam", an all seeing eye while he sits the bench and eats sunflower seeds? complete crap. i agree. american announcers suck, especially the one and only max bretos, who puts an accent (in any language) of every foreign player that he comes across. FSW needs to step up their game. as for david beckham, he better play on saturday against the red bulls as i will be there with my niece. we'll see.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like Max, he cracks me up. He is so over-the-top
    I can't help but like him - but I usually like TV
    announcers that everyone else hates. Hams.

FSC has a certain low-budget charm, like having the
    same guy (Max) basically do solo commentary over tapes of
    countless games from other countries. That dude works his ass
    off for that station. That call-in show is a nightmare,
    I want to call the network, ask for the director and
    say "DON'T YOU KNOW RULE #1 OF SCREENING PHONE CALLS
    IS NO LITTLE KIDS[/b]???" 3 out of 5 callers on that
    show are under the age of 12!

One of the things that attracted me so strongly to the EPL
    is the British TV coverage. The camera work, with the high, arcing
    steadycam is stunning. And the announcers are the most entertaining
    thing about the game. My catchphrase for months now has been "SURELY!"

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    when fsw goes hi def...

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Did the goalie even move? Stellar effort from him in any case. And I think this thread needs some Keira -

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    And some of this:

and this...

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    ^^^^^
    Man, is there anyone the game hasn't dissed? Apart from Dre that is? I heard he had a crack at my landlord and my barber.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I heard he had a crack at my landlord and my barber.

"yo, I'd make that fuckin' landlord um pay ME rent, ha, and I'd, I'd ...
    um take those fucking scissors from that barber and stab him, yo - ha,
    um ... stab him in his fuckin' NECK and shit, haha! ... yeah."