Disco recommendations?

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I'm looking for some good disco comps. I already know I can't afford the prices of the OG rarities, and to find these records in the field is increasingly difficult, given my work schedule. I'm looking mostly for stuff in the style of "Let Me Down Easy," Please Be Truthful" and "My Baby's Got ESP." I suppose that's 120+ BPMs and very polished production-wise, for lack of a better description.Titles or MP3s could also be helpful.

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    http://www.milliondollardisco.com/shop.html

Some great comps on here, with sound clips.

[shameless promo]Also lookout for my new mix "Bump N Hustle" in the next few weeks. I'll be posting about it here[/shameless promo]

• defcondefcon 30 Posts
    check: http://www.discodiamant.de/AppaSeller/Sale-Appa-Ad-V12.html
    Preview in bad quality...

Cheerz Def

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    these are probably considered obvious but the larry levan 'journey into paradise' and tom moulton record on souljazz are both amazing

• shameless plugs....cop uncle jr.'s friday fish fry/ the cleaning.
    and look out for off-track on bbe in sept...lots of disco that has yet to be comped on that.
    3x vinyl as well with a gang of edits.

dimitri has been killing it as well...cant really go wrong there either.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    - disco juice on counterpoint
    - disco spectrum/forever/kings of disco on bbe w/ joey negro/dmitri
    - disco strut
    - larry levan live @ paradise garage on strut (OOP)

• anything produced by patrick adams, before 1984

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Dunn Pearson "Groove on Down"

Gary Toms Empire "Blow Your Whistle"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Another Freq Asked ?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Honestly a lot of the best disco singles are $2 to $20 records but it sounds like you have expensive taste

• anything produced by patrick adams, before 1984

What are some of the better Patrick Adams productions?

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    anything produced by patrick adams, before 1984

What are some of the better Patrick Adams productions?

Get the Cloud One album or the 12's from that one. Think some of them are available as good quality reissues.
    Cloud One on a heavy soundsystem on full blast = a very good look!

• if you want p&p...just get the collection they reissued a million times over, danny krivit did one, kenny dope did one etc. theres alot out there.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    anything produced by patrick adams, before 1984

Patrick Adams produced plenty of terds in that time period. I like a lot of his work, but noodley synthesizers can get old.

• I'm looking for some good disco comps. I already know I can't afford the prices of the OG rarities, and to find these records in the field is increasingly difficult, given my work schedule. I'm looking mostly for stuff in the style of "Let Me Down Easy," Please Be Truthful" and "My Baby's Got ESP." I suppose that's 120+ BPMs and very polished production-wise, for lack of a better description.

Titles or MP3s could also be helpful.

"Silver Convention" is considered disco, and it's not expensive...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm looking for some good disco comps. I already know I can't afford the prices of the OG rarities, and to find these records in the field is increasingly difficult, given my work schedule. I'm looking mostly for stuff in the style of "Let Me Down Easy," Please Be Truthful" and "My Baby's Got ESP." I suppose that's 120+ BPMs and very polished production-wise, for lack of a better description.

Titles or MP3s could also be helpful.

"Silver Convention" is considered disco, and it's not expensive...

...it's just not good.

• Forgot that part - my bad..

But I like em tho..
    "Tiger Baby" and "Get up" ? Killin it..