Jimmy Sabater recommendations?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I've really been digging on his stuff lately. Just got the "Joe Cuba Presents the Velvet Voice" LP which is really cool for an early, early Latin soul effort. Also copped the LP with "Kool It" and I know his album with Bobby Cruz is hot as well as his "Solo" album.Any other recommendations from folks? I have most of Cuba's albums from Tico from the mid-60s on so I think I'm covered there. I think he's on some Joey Pastrana album too?

Comments

• Solo and Teresa's Son are my picks. "Times Are Changin" is tops for me.

Now that you mentioned that Joey Pastrana (or Pastrano depending on which album you look at) thing, I see a guy in the back cover photo of Joey's "Let's Ball" that does look like him, but he get's no credit in the line-up.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Solo and Teresa's Son are my picks. "Times Are Changin" is tops for me.

But that's not on either of those albums, right? That's from the Bobby Cruz collabo?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Sacude Zapato"

• Times Are Changin, from Solo. I don't know if he has another version. This gets cut a tad short, it's from a recent latin mix I've been meaning to upload and share here.

But that's not on either of those albums, right? That's from the Bobby Cruz collabo?
    The five Sabater tacks from the Mano a Mano Melodico (1971) album are from Solo (1969).

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

What is this collabo album with Bobby Cruz you are talking about?

On the recommendation tip, check for Jimmy's 1980 album on Fania.

Edit: I saw Rey's response, yeah Bobby only worked with Richie

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

The five Sabater tacks from the
    Mano a Mano Melodico (1971) album are from Solo (1969).

Aha - (I don't have the "Solo" LP yet so I didn't realize the tracklistings were shared b/t them).

Mind Blowing Decision