What to walk down the isle to? (RR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
So... I am actually getting married towards the end of the year. The thing that's been on my mind lately is, what can we walk down the isle to. I was talking with my fiance about it and we realised we don't really know what to use. I guess it has to be kind of slow so you can walk to it, but I'll be damned if I'm ever doing anything to the wedding march music because I just can't stand it.So what did y'all walk down the isle to? (paging Thes-One and the various other married collectros)

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The wedding march, it's like the staple mang, that & some piece of violin/piano chamber music that I don't remember the name of. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    We were going to go with "Something You Got" as sung by Alvin Robinson on the Tiger label. Best procession song ever, in my opinion.

We ended up getting married in rowboats, though, so there was no procession. Two of our best friends seranaded us instead:

Winter comes and snow
    I can't marry you, you know
    Without children to grow
    I can't marry you, you know

Love me the way I love you

Take a year in your hand
    You can find another man
    Let your unloved parts get loved
    And I will be your man

Places you should be afraid
    Into the river we will wade

I say, forget tempo, forget what's "right", and find the song that crushes the both of you under a tremendously mad love. Pick that song. If it doesn't exist, write it.

Have fun.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah see that's what i thought too. I wanted to go with the delfonics 'ready or not' but Del was all like "it's too fast, i can't walk down the isel to that" even though she really liked the song. But yeah... we do both want to really, really like the song we pick. I am gonna suggest to her that tempo doesn't matter.

Thanks for that.

Keep the suggestions coming.

• I'd like to see a really dramatic, gothic wedding, where you walk down the isle to the opening of Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath" - you know, the dirge with the thunderstorm and church bells. Definitely marching (or trudging) music. At night, with lots of black, thousands of candles and roses and incense.

Kidding aside (not really - I do think that'd be the coolest), I really wouldn't worry about too many conventions - in terms of marching tempo. As long as you can envision it working, if you really like the song, I think you can make it work.

Practice listening to lots of stuff, and walking around the house. Listen to some unexpected stuff, or stuff you may not originally be inclined to consider. It might grab your imagination.

Good luck! What a fun challenge.

• My wife walked down to Nina Simone, "Someone Exactly Like You," and that worked like a charm.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    haha Thanks!

Yeah, I was playing Del stuff like a long sparese cut off the McDonald and Giles Lp and she just looked at me like WTF! That was when I was thinking about what I had in a slow marching tempo!

I really like the delfonics tune, but I'm wondering if anyone has other suggestions of similar style soul music that could be good.