Lee Williams?

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
anyone know anything about lee williams? i copped a nice little soul/funk 45 on black soul records: "half steppin". it's pretty dope-

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Lee "Shot" Williams, or Lee Williams & the Cymbals?

Don't know much about the former, but the latter had some really amazing early sweet soul group 45's, mostly on the Carnival label, where they shared a residency with the early Manhattans. Their big "hit" on Carnival, "Love You More" is really fantastic, as are all those tracks, including a nice dancer called "Shing-a-Ling U.S.A.". They also have some later stuff on smaller labels, 1 or 2 on Black Circle, and a DOPE funk 45 on Rapda (and re-released shortly thereafter on another, bigger label that I can't remember right now, under the name "The New Cymbals"), titled "L.C. Funk," which is an absolute cop of the rhythm & melody from Funkadelic's "Mommy, What's a Funkadelic?" but with some sleazy soul vocals instead of the rappin of the Funkadelic track. If you see that one, grab it.

Also, I have been wondering for years, does anyone know, is Lee Williams of the Cymbals the same Lee Williams of contemporary gospel giants "Lee Williams & the Spiritual Q.C.'s?"

Shingaling, maybe you know?

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

Also, I have been wondering for years, does anyone know, is Lee Williams of the Cymbals the same Lee Williams of contemporary gospel giants "Lee Williams & the Spiritual Q.C.'s?"
    Shingaling, maybe you know?

The Spiritual QC's were out of Tupelo I think and the Lee Williams and the Cymbols I have is way to northern sounding to possiblly be the same. I think they were from New York. They were also doing this stuff around the same time period. Most likely not the same IMO.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    just plain lee williams. i'm gonna do some more investigating, but the record is a good cop for a buck..the label itself (black soul record company) is classic