Aretha appreciation

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I've been working on a writing project re: Aretha and have been reading parts of Guralnick's "Sweet Soul Music", caught a timely PBS documentary from the 1980s, and lo and behold, this just crossed my doorstep the other day:"Aretha Franklin: Rare & Unreleased Recordings From The Golden Reign Of The Queen Of Soul"It's out on Rhino in early Oct. and contains demos and outtakes from her Atlantic years. To be straight up, this sort of project is really aimed more at completionists and hardcore fanatics than casual fans but really, for anyone who loves Aretha (and seriously, who the fuck doesn't?), from a historical p.o.v., some of this is The most are the first three songs on the CD, which are demos that Aretha and her s.o.b. husband at the time, Ted White, sent Jerry Wexler. They include the original demo version of "I Never Love a Man" (which Guralnick describes as one of the greatest moments in pop song history and I don't think he's being hyperbolic) which is just Aretha at the piano. The original version is pretty , by which I mean that Wexler and the Muscle Shoals band really improved on it but it's still a marvel to think about as an idea in motion. Another from the demo tapes is "Sweet Bitter Love" which was a song she recorded for both Columbia in the 60s and, much later, Arista but it never ended up on an Atlantic album. I snippet an edit of it: I'm just blown away that, 40 years later, they still unreleased stuff like this to put out.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Also, found this on youtube. One of Aretha's best Columbia moments:

(I need this 45. Holler!)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I just dug this up recently, and it has been on constant rotation...an early one

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    goat-ish

I just dug this up recently, and it has been on constant rotation...an early one

I haven't heard this one (it's not on the Columbia comps I have) - got a sound clip?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That clip's amazing. Her voice has such a different quality to it in the raw, untreated form you hear on that demo. Truly one of the GOAT.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Aretha is my favourite female singer, no question. She did MTV Divas a few years back, and she was last on. Before that, I think it was Mariah and Shania Twain etc. and you actually start to think these people can sing.

Then Areatha comes on, and it's like 10 times what they were doing.

I don't know much about singing, I can't hold a note, but are they teaching up-and-coming singers NOT to sing like Aretha now? Because NO-ONE sings remotely like her these days (not that that's totally doable without her voice, but even in "Style"). I think she's the only singer where I've literally gotten goosebumps from listening to.

I think her catalog is patchy though; some of it does nothing for me. Does she pick shouty "Rockstady"-type songs because she prefers them or are they the only ones the producer suggests? I like the sublter stuff, even the early 80's Marcus Miller produced stuff which many give the finger-crucifix but hey, I like what I like.

Has she done any good takes on Jazz standards? "How Deep Is The Ocean" etc.?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    500% co-sign.

I still think Natural Woman and Chain of Fools are wicked songs despite being played to death and having to be part of some super-cheese moments in movies and on TV.

All The King's Horses is tears-worthy.

I listen to these three regularly

• I have a gospel CD of hears that was recorded live. The sound quality is shit, but the music gives me goosebumps and on a few occasions has almost made me tear up. I can't remember what it was called but she is just AMAZING.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think her catalog is patchy though; some of it does nothing for me. Does she pick shouty "Rockstady"-type songs because she prefers them or are they the only ones the producer suggests?

Not liking her "shouty 'Rock Steady'"-type songs is like not liking water because its' wet. That's what kept her from being a second-string Nancy Wilson (like she was on most of her Columbia recordings). Nothing wrong with the "subtler stuff" you prefer - like you said, you like what you like - but the uptempo "Rock Steadies" and the "Thinks" and the "Respects" are part of why she became the Queen of Soul in the first place. Nothing wrong with low-key reflection, but it ain't no crime to shake your shaggy-shaggy every little once in a while!

Has she done any good takes on Jazz standards? "How Deep Is The Ocean" etc.?

Sounds like you want her Columbia records (although she got jazzy occasionally on her Atlantic records, like "Moody's Mood For Love" from Hey Now Hey).

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I had not listened to Aretha in a little while and I pulled out her Fillmore record the other day and ended up flipping it 4 times.

Yeah - Pickwick is dead on here. No need to scrounge through her Atlantic stuff - pick up any of her Columbia comps on CD and much of it is jazz standards. Her covers of "God Bless the Child" and "Skylark", in particular, are favorites of mine.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i have a feeling arethas gonna be on the cover of wax po in the near future.

i have a feeling arethas gonna be on the cover of wax po in the near future.

That'd be cool but she has a rep for being notoriously interview shy. That might have changed though.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I really like that early gospel stuff that you can get on Chess, I find the Columbia stuff patchy, but it definitely has it's moments. Someone mentioned her take on Skylark & yes that is very nice. I love the Atlantic stuff through to the mid/late 70s, which is where I leave it alone, I have explored none of the 80s stuff. But that 60s-mid 70s Atlantic stuff, fast or slow, it is great, her voice can carry almost anything through those different styles. Anyone read that biography that came out a couple of years ago, had a great/funny story about a limo driver having to go get fried chicken or something, it was hilarious & odd. Written by Mark Bego, the book is ok, that story is funny.

• I just dug this up recently, and it has been on constant rotation...an early one

I haven't heard this one (it's not on the Columbia comps I have) - got a sound clip?

sorry took so long...

• yo, anybody ever hear the story about how Retha carries a hairbrush with her deceased momma's hair in it everywhere she goes? if anybody reading this does get to interview her for wax po, do NOT ask her about that hairbrush. she is liable to backsmack yo ass with a turkey leg