Tony (Anthony H.) Wilson RIP

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6941392.stmThis probably won't mean a whole lot to most of you, but this is really sad to me. As a teenager, I used to watch Tony Wilson doing the regional news reports and weekly arts/music round-ups on Granada TV in the North-West of England, and he always struck me as a cool guy. He was one of the first people to put the Sex Pistols on TV in his show So It Goes, and seeing that as a 16-y-o flew my fucking head. Not too long after that, he started Factory Records, and the rest is history, of a sort.As a journalist, he always made quite a bit of the long-standing local enmity between his fellow Mancunians and Scousers (Liverpudlians, of which I'm one), and never missed an opportunity to take the piss out of God's Chosen People. He was always funny with it, though; never malicious.I once bumped into him on the dancefloor at the Hacienda one Saturday night, and took the opportunity to tell him that, even though a lot of Scousers hated him, I wasn't amongst them. He grinned, said thanks, and offered his hand. A true gent, and a towering figure in the development of music in the UK over the last 30 years. RIP.

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Very sad. I've been a big admirer of his for a long time. And so young?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    got a little choked up reading those different tributes on that bbc link

this is good

so is this

• snosno 332 Posts
    This is just sad...RIP...gotta watch "24 Hour Party People" again real soon.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i got home put on Closer and started tearing up. yes,

if i hear any of this stuff played out tonight then the chances of me crying while dancing are pretty good. there's a first time for everything

• Man, Joy Division on blast all weekend. I need to find my copy of 24 Hour Party People. RIP Tony.