good CD comp recommendations

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
the radio station is doing an article for the radio show shingaling and I do and we have to make a list of recommended listening, but the list has to be CDs currently in print. Since the radio show features mainly 45s, I gotta list some comp CDs and I am drawing a blank...60s and early 70s RnB/Soul/Funk...I havent purchased many CD comps over the years...I think I will list the "Goldwax Story" CD, and a Jazzman comp but other than that ???? suggest some titles por favor...

Comments

• Texas Funk

Cold Heat

Chicago Soul maybe?

I think there's one called "Midwest Funk" also.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah those were the Jazzman comps I was thinking of...what is this Chicago Soul that you speak of?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I picked up the Panama! comp a few weeks ago. I really enjoy it.

http://www.fly.co.uk/fly/archives/panama.jpg

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    the radio station is doing an article for the radio show shingaling and I do and we have to make a list of recommended listening, but the list has to be CDs currently in print. Since the radio show features mainly 45s, I gotta list some comp CDs and I am drawing a blank...60s and early 70s RnB/Soul/Funk...I havent purchased many CD comps over the years...I think I will list the "Goldwax Story" CD, and a Jazzman comp but other than that ???? suggest some titles por favor...

Working in a record store like you do, you couldn't just go through the bins or some kind of online catalog like Amazon? (Is Schwann still around? I know Tower was still using that system - computerized - in their last days...)

At any rate, here's something I THINK might be up your alley: One-Derful, Mar-v-lus Northern Soul, on Goldmine Soul Supply. Don't be scared off by the "northern" designation, this is actually some hard-hitting soul from the vaults of One-Derful Records in Chicago...a longtime favorite of mine.

Working in a record store like you do, you couldn't just go through the bins or some kind of online catalog like Amazon? (Is Schwann still around? I know Tower was still using that system - computerized - in their last days...)

At any rate, here's something I THINK might be up your alley: One-Derful, Mar-v-lus Northern Soul, on Goldmine Soul Supply. Don't be scared off by the "northern" designation, this is actually some hard-hitting soul from the vaults of One-Derful Records in Chicago...a longtime favorite of mine.

our comp selection is small at the shop...we have jazzman comps and memphis comps out the wazoo, but the lesser known ones are the ones I need help with...also, a lot of the stuff I see online as well as the website for our one-stop doesnt always list tracklists...so I figured I would just go with folks recommendations and then look those up....

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

I've always been a fan of those bootleg sweet soul comps with the atrociously great covers:

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Some of the BGP comps are ridiculous:

The SuperFunk series
    FunkSoulSisters (plus Return of ...)
    Johnny Otis & Friends: Watts Funky
    Westbound Funk
    Instrumental Explosion

(those may all be compiled by Dean Rudland)

The Absolute Funk series (1-4) on Body & Soul records out of France .. all quite good. Though they may or may not be legitimate issues.

Barnyard Soul on Deep Groove is a strong collection (though, again, not sure about the legitimacy).

In general, I would say Jazzman's comps (Texas, Midwest, Florida), Egon's comps (Funky 16 Corners, Cold Heat), and the Dean Rudland comps on BGP are about as good as legitimate funk compilations get.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    sounds like Numero Group's "Eccentric Soul" series would be perfect for this.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    You might want to look at Luv n Haight's Bay Area Funk series, volume 2 has some good stuff thanks to jinx74

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Obvious, but James Brown's Funky People Vols 1,2 and 3.
    They have some alternate takes not available on vinyl, plus some raer.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    You might want to look at Luv n Haight's Bay Area Funk series, volume 2 has some good stuff thanks to jinx74

cosine on those. Volume 1 is excellent as well.

Some of the BGP comps are ridiculous:

The SuperFunk series
    FunkSoulSisters (plus Return of ...)
    Johnny Otis & Friends: Watts Funky
    Westbound Funk
    Instrumental Explosion

(those may all be compiled by Dean Rudland)

The Absolute Funk series (1-4) on Body & Soul records out of France .. all quite good. Though they may or may not be legitimate issues.

Barnyard Soul on Deep Groove is a strong collection (though, again, not sure about the legitimacy).

In general, I would say Jazzman's comps (Texas, Midwest, Florida), Egon's comps (Funky 16 Corners, Cold Heat), and the Dean Rudland comps on BGP are about as good as legitimate funk compilations get.

yeah, Im gonna rep Dean's comps as he is a good customer at our shop(forgot he put stuf out! )..an an O-Dub comp because he hooked a dude up with a string beat many moons ago! also that bay area v2 since Jinx got me the easiest $500 gig I have ever had...

• You might want to look at Luv n Haight's Bay Area Funk series, volume 2 has some good stuff thanks to jinx74

I heard the Dawn & Sunset track "Move in a Room" from that comp in Applebee's last week.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The last one I got from O-Dub was the one that had the Blue Note-like cover. That one is good. Haven't heard anything since then, but if it's still available, pick it up.

The Action Speaks Louder Than Words[/b] comp is good too.