Alice Coltrane Tribute Concert

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
WOW. Be back with a report later. I highly regret missing alice coltrane in person just a year ago.

Comments

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I heard about this too. Sounds interesting. Please let us know who you find out is playing.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It was members from the Universal Consciousness Orchestra featuring Dwight Trible.
    I don't have any pictures as of this moment, but I just wanna say that the performance was INCREDIBLE. Outdoors event in the dark. The wiff of incense.

The second song i immediately recognized was "journey into satchidananda". Nate Morgan (of Nimbus label fame) KILLED IT with the piano improv. And the one that floored everyone, including myself was "a love supreme". The dude, Dwight Trible started hollering (free jazz style) with SOOOO MUCH gawdammnnnn soul. I was thinking to myself "uhhh yea, Alice Coltrane sure will hear THIS from the heavens....".
    I COULD NOT STOP SMILING ALL THROUGHOUT. It was totally a breath of fresh air.
    and the drummer just MURDERED his solo for about 2 minutes. COMPLETE MURDER. Off beat breakz galore.

The set ended, people just could not help themselves from giving the orchestra a rousing standing O. INCREDIBLE.

Flying Lotus, performed a set after this....tough act to follow. I felt sorry for the kid. Most of the audience were leaving after like 2 notes on the deck. I was actually enjoying it and found his live performance sound to be very unique. I liked it.

I can't stand the storming free jazz noise when I'm at home, but in a live concert setting, everything makes sense. The shit is personal yet so deeply connected to everything at the same time. loves it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Here's some pics from the show.
    At the Japanese American National Museum in Downtown LA.