New Sharon Jones - 100 days

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
After all that Amy Winehouse hate the Dapkings and Sharon Jones are about to release a new album.Heres a single I found online what do y'all think?100 days 100 nights

Comments

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    HEAT !!!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    And the album release is at the Apollo!

This should be a big record for them. I'm not predicting Amy Winehouse level but it should push them to another tier anyway. I think the fact that the Dap Kings were used as the band for the ESPN awards (not a bad gig for an independent) is indicative that folks are checking for them these days. Not to mention Sharon singing background for Lou Reed and appearing in a Denzel Washington/Forest Whitaker movie. Good times ahead for the Daps.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick fucking sick.

• After all that Amy Winehouse hate the Dapkings and Sharon Jones are about to release a new album.

Heres a single I found online what do y'all think?

100 days 100 nights

i just listened to the entire album on loop yesterday. highly recommended.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Thanks for this, Ad*m.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Thanks for this, Ad*m.

the fuck you been at?

b/w

Hi Dr*w

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    thanks for posting this. They just keep getting better and better. I might need to see them live for a third time, if anything just to see the Jewbacca shuffle in person again.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    NiceNiceNice

- J

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    folls is scared to say it, so i will....

i'm not saying sharon isn't a better singer than my Amy, but this material is not on "Back To Black"'s level, I'm sorry

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I don't necessarily disagree on a songwrting level but as a singer and a performer, Sharon crushes Aleblouse's skanky self.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

i'm not saying sharon isn't a better singer than my Amy, but this material is not on "Back To Black"'s level, I'm sorry

I got love for Sharon but the crack abuse is just too real!

all due respect, but clean that wax out of your ears!! this shit is slow burnin soul fire.

wow Amy was lookin' RIGHT in the before photo.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

all due respect, but clean that wax out of your ears!! this shit is slow burnin soul fire.

Just saw her live last weekend and it is a highly recommended experience.
    This tune live was

• After all that Amy Winehouse hate the Dapkings and Sharon Jones are about to release a new album.

Heres a single I found online what do y'all think?

100 days 100 nights

great track. my thing is, can't we all agree that panning drums hard into one channel is

or, not a good listen

I seek the mono for that reason a lot of times.

ps - sharon + dap kings outdoors in harlem last summer was
    she did a whole routine where she went through all the dance crazes of the late 60's. blazing burning fire.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    the fact that the Dap Kings were used as the band for the ESPN awards

that's why it sounded so good. I was wondering who the band was.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

he he

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
    the fact that the Dap Kings were used as the band for the ESPN awards

that's why it sounded so good. I was wondering who the band was.

Same here. I had an idea it was them because they played some of Sharon's tunes but I wasn't sure.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I don't agree with the

but I do agree that this ain't a hit record. It'd work great as an album track, but the tempo change is kinda unnecessary, and doesn't make it easy for DJs to program, so it may not be one for the dancefloor. None of this should be read as a value judgement on the quality of the music, which is well up to snuff, but little things like the hard-panning of the drums and horns kinda suggest that this is as much an exercise in authenticity as anything else.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    sufficient, but not great.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    its OK i will be checking for the lp as a big fan of miss jones.

as for miss whinehouse Ive only heard "rehab" and it mustn't have left any impression as Ive made no effort to check out my girlfriends CD as she bought the lp.