Where have all the record stores gone?

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
So, I was fooling around on my company's website, and found a bunch of online lectures you all might find interesting. Among them: Hole in the Cities: Where Have All the Record Stores Gone? Hip Hop Culture, Politics and Identities The Economics of the Music Industry Hip Hop Politics Bits and Bites from Hip Hop Life There are plenty of others, too, including a 4-part history of jazz. You can find the full list of music lectures here. And if you're interested, there are 21 other categories of lectures. The links are on the left side of the page above.Enjoy.

Comments

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    The first guy DOES go on a bit.

Thanks for guiding me to a new avatar.

- J

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Yeah, from the couple I've listened to, they seem to follow the same principle as college lectures???a good lecturer can make a dry subject interesting, and a bad one can suck the life out of the most interesting subject.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I don't need a lecture, I just called five record stores around rockford illinois and four of them have gone under(a tear hits the keyboard).

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Yeah, from the couple I've listened to, they seem to follow the same principle as college lectures???a good lecturer can make a dry subject interesting, and a bad one can suck the life out of the most interesting subject.

I watched the video of the one regarding the record stores (obviously?), and found it pretty interesting. Pretty much my entire closest family (father, mother, brother, couple of uncles, couple of aunts, some cousins) are professional classical musicians, and they were interested to hear about the state of classical music production and sale. I think it was surprisingly positive.

But, yeah, record stores are closing left and right, but considering how eBay and online services have become as powerful as they have, is this really surprising?

It seems to me one of the very top reasons record-stores close is because the owner choses to do business online.

I think it??s sad. I??ve never bought a record online (save for a few exclusive items, mostly newer stuff, and mostly a while back), because to me, one of the key aspects of collecting records is the very store itself and
    ( ) DIGGING IN THE CRATES. I just can??t get the same satisfaction out of buying a record online as I get finding it in some dingy, smokey, run-down shack off the road in the middle of a corn-field. There is no record I NEED to have. There are records I??d LIKE to have, but honestly I can wait.

I don??t play my records out often enough to HAVE to maintain an ever-increasing amount of vinyl, but I can understand how professional DJs enjoy the availability of certain records online that they??d really really like to play and just can??t get around they??re local shops. But, as I said, e-digging is just not for me.

Shit, I??m 21 and already "stuck in the old ways".

The record-store is more than just a store, like the dude said. It??s a social place. I met tons of interesting and "interesting" people at record stores, and found out so much about music from hanging around them, as I know many many others have too, and will keep doing.

I don??t think ALL record-stores will disappear; some more definitely will, but true lovers of music and music-related things will always be there and need a place to hang out with others in the real world, and therefore I think there will always be a market for "offline" record stores.

What do you guys think?

- J