Tornado in Brooklyn??

residentgiantresidentgiant 619 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
WTF??http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1878068/posts (excuse the website, it's the first thing that popped up on Google.)Any other NYC'ers get caught out in commuting hell this morning? Fortunately my commute's not too bad, was packed on the 7 train and the 1 was backed up, but my office is a ghost town. The other editor here had to drive in from Westchester and is now walking down to 50th from 86th street.

Comments

• I was lucky enough to catch a ride (albeit 2 hours early)

I'm storing all my stuff at my ex-roommate's apartment until I leave for vacation on friday morning, and I just got a call from another friend who lives in his building saying the basement flooded. my suitcase is down there and I'm not looking forward to going home/dealing with that.

But yeah, car and foot traffic in cobble hill/downtown bk was VERY hectic this morning.

• it's also crazy that I slept through the storm and all the lightning which was around 6 in the morning, and then woke up at 9 and it's completely dry and sunny (a little bit cloudy and muggy)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    That thunder woke me up and kept me awake for about 2 hours. the g was out of sevice, so i took th b61 up to queens and got on the 7. the bus was on some calcutta shit. fuggin sweaty polish dudes, chickens squaking and shit. nightmare.

all i gotta say is FUCK the MTA! i'm too sick of this bullshit.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I was in Park Slope last week. It rained pretty hard and I was kidding my sister-in-law about the subways flooding. She said it happens all the time. I told her I didn't believe her. Lo and behold the NYT online lead story today is about trains being flooded out. Crazy. Sorry to hear about your aggravations dudes. BTW Last week, I missed my connector flight (because of over-scheduling at JFK) and then had to sit on the tarmac in NY for 2 hours the next day. JFK gets the bozak.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i was up a few times listening to the rain / thunder - around 5AM and again around 6:30AM....
    wish it would've kept raining all day to be honest....

don't use the subway much anymore but from the numbers of folks trying to catch the bus on my block
    looked like a nightmore.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    In my experience JFK is pretty solid. considering its one of the busiest and largest airports in the world. Charles Degalle in Paris is another story...you FUCK that airport. I'll pay an extra $100 to fly to frankfurt over that place any day.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Charles Degalle in Paris is another story...you FUCK that airport.

agreed. i had a really bad experience there the one time i was in paris about four years ago.
    cancelled all flights due to the weather.
    it had snowed a 1/2 inch on new year's eve.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    In my experience JFK is pretty solid. considering its one of the busiest and largest airports in the world. Charles Degalle in Paris is another story...you FUCK that airport. I'll pay an extra $100 to fly to frankfurt over that place any day.

According to the flight crew, they build in one hour delays at JFK. Apparently, Congress maybe getting involved. I have never had these kinds of problems in my regular stop overs in Chi, or Minn or Cincinnati.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    My boss was flying to JFK last night and was diverted to DC it was so bad.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    yo, i'm tellin' you... somethin weird goin' on with the weather. a few weeks back a mini tornado came through part of Philly (i think it was mentioned here on the strut too)... seemed like it hit just one street real bad (chew ave btwn wash ave and upsal). my wife almost got caught in it too.... rain all of a sudden started comin' down crazy hard, she said she felt the car rockin' and schitt. when she came back through that street after picking up my son from preschool, the storm was over but there were trees uprooted all around. the news report never said anything about it being a tornado, but daggg... it HAD to be more than just a bad storm if you're talkin bout trees gettin' ripped out from the roots, right? i went back the next day and took pictures of the mayhem too. weird schitt, man.

THEY CONTROLLIN' THE WEATHER, YO

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    yo, i'm tellin' you... somethin weird goin' on with the weather. a few weeks back a mini tornado came through part of Philly (i think it was mentioned here on the strut too)... seemed like it hit just one street real bad (chew ave btwn wash ave and upsal). my wife almost got caught in it too.... rain all of a sudden started comin' down crazy hard, she said she felt the car rockin' and schitt. when she came back through that street after picking up my son from preschool, the storm was over but there were trees uprooted all around. the news report never said anything about it being a tornado, but daggg... it HAD to be more than just a bad storm if you're talkin bout trees gettin' ripped out from the roots, right? i went back the next day and took pictures of the mayhem too. weird schitt, man.

THEY CONTROLLIN' THE WEATHER, YO

Around the globe, 2007 is on track to be a year of extreme weather[/b]

* Story Highlights
    * U.N. agency: Global surface temperatures have broken records this year
    * World Meteorological Organization says climate change probably manmade
    * Unusual flooding has hurt Asia, Europe, Africa in 2007
    * The Midwest in the U.S. is suffering from record heat now

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- Extreme weather has plagued the globe this year, a U.N. agency says, causing some of the highest temperatures on record.

The World Meteorological Organization said "global land surface temperatures for January and April will likely be ranked as the warmest since records began in 1880,"[/b] according to the United Nations.

WMO said temperatures were 1.89 degrees Celsius (3.4 degrees Fahrenheit) higher than average for January and 1.37 degrees C (2.45 degrees F) higher than average for April.

The agency found that climate warming was unequivocal and most likely "due to human activities such as the burning of fossil fuels."

Here are some of the extreme instances the United Nations cites:

Four monsoon depressions, double the normal number, caused heavy flooding in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. On Monday, floodwaters receded in parts of South Asia, but the death toll rose to 347, officials said.

Millions remain displaced and homeless, and authorities fear waterborne disease could spread. Indian officials say more than 1,200 people have died in their country alone since monsoon season began in June.

England and Wales have experienced their wettest May-to-July period since record-keeping started in 1766. In late July, swollen rivers threatened to burst their banks. At least eight people died during weeks of torrential rain, and thousands were without tap water.

Late last month in Sudan, floods and heavy rain caused 23,000 mud brick homes to collapse, killing at least 62 people. The rainfall was abnormally heavy and early for this time of the year.

In May, swell waves up to 15 feet high swept into 68 islands in the Maldives, causing severe flooding and damage. Also in May, a heat wave swept across Russia.

Southeastern Europe did not escape the unusual weather. The area suffered record-breaking heat in June and July.

An unusual cold southern winter brought wind, blizzards and rare snowfall to various parts of South America, with temperatures reaching as low as 7 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (-22 degrees Celsius) in Argentina and 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-18 Celsius) in Chile in July.

In June, South Africa had its first significant snowfall since 1981, as almost 10 inches (25 centimeters) of the white stuff fell in some parts of the country.

And in the United States, temperatures climbed into the triple digits this week in Midwestern states

Something aint right.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I feel like Delay a year ago "FUCK THE F TRAIN!!!!" After waiting on the platform for an hour and a half, I called work and said I wouldn't be in until 1, now I gotta stay late.

Fuck the MTA and fuck the old ass infrastructure in this city!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i swear, i've had to just learn how to brush it off as part of everyday life in nyc. if i let every little subway/tourist/traffic/cab/construction/ thing get me, i'd lose my fucking mind. my friends down south all told me nyc made me soft, but its made me tougher for sure. it's just a matter of picking your battles.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Something aint right.

damn straight

• "FUCK THE F TRAIN!!!!"

"FUCK THE F TRAIN!!!!"

"FUCK THE F TRAIN!!!!"

"FUCK THE F TRAIN!!!!"

Not a golden moment in public transit history. Thank god for the B67 bus.

• Thank god for friends with cars.

Although if my ride didn't have to work overtime, I'd be walking over a bridge or sleeping on a "girlfriend bench"

Are all the trains running again? And if so, is that shit running smooth yet?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    straight up and down...FUCK THE MTA! they worthless. why do i pay $70 for this month pass????

they didnt even dispatch extra buses to compensate. none of the union assholes know a damn thing. i was supposed to get mta updates on my phone. NOTHING! might as well go on strike again. but no....they all get PAID today.

• what's up t*m, you home from work? i'm stuck at the shop until 9:30 cause my friend is working overovertime. didnt bring my bud neither.

how do you get updates on your phone? is that part of the monthly pass? they didn't even update their website today so I doubt they are on the level to be texting people. this whole thing was handled horribly.

• Options

According to the flight crew, they build in one hour delays at JFK. Apparently, Congress maybe getting involved. I have never had these kinds of problems in my regular stop overs in Chi, or Minn or Cincinnati.

I hear about this stuff all the time, my girlfriend is an air traffic controller who controls JFK arrivals and departures from 40 miles out to 4 miles out. Ever see Pushing Tin with John Cusack and Billy Bob Thorton? That's what she does.

Most of the time when you're stuck it't not because of the bullshit that they tell you on the plane. The only thing that is usually true is the weather-related reasons.

She gets calls from friends all the time who are stuck at the gate, saying things like "they're telling us there is a delay because of XYZ reason, and we won't be taking off anytime soon, is there anything you can do?" I've seen her make a quick phone call to her job and then the friend calls back within 5-10 minutes on some "THANK YOU!! I don't know what you did but we're leaving".

The majority of the time that you're stuck it's because air traffic is too backed up for anyone to take off and the air traffic controllers will have all the flights stopped until things sort out. They won't tell you that though.

Congress is going to get involved. There's a shortage of controllers and they are being forced to work an extra day every week since a lot of people retired. At the same time they changed a flight law that said foreign airlines could only come to the US from their country of origin (Aer Lingus could only come here from Ireland for example), they can now come here from anywhere. Flights to the US increased immediately. So you have more flights and less people to handle the traffic. Do the math, it means more delays on your flights.

Any young directionless folks on here who are looking for work, air traffic control pays a lot of money but the job is incredibly stressful. They're starving for people.