GREAT ENDINGS (AND BRIDGES) RR

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
hello, so i already broke my own rule of not drinking alone and am geeking out so hard on music right now. i think a lot of people make a big deal about intros but i know i'm not the only one who can appreciate a good outro or bridge. what are some of your favorites? i almost don't want to limit it just to endings of songs because a carefully placed last song on a great album can be the icing on the cake & make a big impact since it's the last thing you hear. so um yeah grab bag topic: your favorite bridges, outros, or last song on an album. yeah?my picks w/audio:OUTROS:pixies "no 13 baby" off of doolittle[/b]i haven't really played pixies in a long time but i have a photographic memory of this outro and it kills me whenever i hear it. weird thing is that it's pretty simple, basically just different guitar parts fading in and out. but it has an awesome impact and personally, is what makes it so poignant and conducive to nostalgic flashbacks for me GAINSBOURG "l'hotel particular" off of Histoire[/b]when the strings kick in, it's downright heavenly. as soon as it comes in, it instantly changes from a provocative naughty invitation to this ethereal romantic thing of force. not date rape force, power of seduction force! and that's why i heart serge yeah you knowpolvo "Stinger" off of Today's Active Lifestyles[/b]this song is just so epic to me. i think it's the first time i realized that i could be moved by something that was miles away from clean melody and being "in tune"Sabbath "Cornucopia" off of Vol. 4[/b]file under wtf, it starts out with some cloak and dagger doomsday sounds and then out of nowhere it gets all country bar rock and good times? shit is so catchy!BRIDGES:r.e.m. "9x9" off of Murmur[/b]i know lots o folk think r.e.m are so wussified but people who only know rem post "losing my religion" need to get familiar because the guitar work and melodic bass playing is next level. and a lot of that shit was dancey and had a disco 4 to floor beat, wasn't completely mopey at all. anyway, this bridge is magnificent and i spent a whole month one summer trying to figure it out. i was obsessedtyrannosaurus rex "a day laye" off of a beard of stars[/b]like rem & stipe, boland's voice was an acquired taste for me for awhile. when i got familiar with the acoustic stuff, i heard this album and was blown away by the first 3 songs. it was too much. whenever i see this record at friends' places in the late drunken hour, i have a bad habit of making them put on "a day laye" for anyone who isn't familiar. i ask them to listen to the bridge and eyes always bulge. i know this might come off too soft for ss, but i swear i can see the love in their eyes. it's fucking magicali could go on for days marquee moon, wire, the who but i don't want to write a 5 page essay. and it doesn't even have to be an outro you relate to emotionally. the outro on motorhead's "overkill" is genius to me. it basically ends like 3 times with each ending being on some sabbath shit only with increasing fury and increasing tempo. way overkill. there's also hip hop which i haven't even touched, partly because it's been a while and i can't remember. yes, sorry for the emo post

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The "How well I remember/The look that was in his eyes" bridge from "Son of a Preacher Man" never fails to get me. The whole song is amazing, but at that point, it moves to a whole new level that is pure goosebumps.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    haha! egads. well there is a blogpost or mix to be salvaged from this

yours in nerdness,
    'head

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Sabbath "Cornucopia" off of Vol. 4[/b]

file under wtf, it starts out with some cloak and dagger doomsday sounds and then out of nowhere it gets all country bar rock and good times? shit is so catchy!

What about "Supernaut" and it's B-Boy jamboree!!

b/w

'Strut Roundup at Double Dutch tomorrow night! Be there or be...trapezoid.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Some great Last Songs on the Album:

Love, "You Set the Scene" from Forever Changes

Replacements, "Answering Machine" from Let It Be

Joy Division, "I Remember Nothing" from Forever Changes

Beatles, "A Day in the Life" from Sgt. Pepper's

hmmm ... good outros ... "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" by the Kinks?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

i know lots o folk think r.e.m are so wussified but people who only know rem post "losing my religion" need to get familiar because the guitar work and melodic bass playing is next level.

Reckoning is still a favorite album of mine. And this is
    coming from someone who finds post-1990 REM completely unlistenable.

In fact, "Don't Go Back to Rockville" has a nice outro!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Clash are the kings of the bridge. The bridge on Complete Control is sublime, you can check it out if you don't remember.

I love the bridge on Cold Water Flat's "Count Your Space" groovy and psychedelic in between leather lungs and distortion. Perfect.

Bowie's Scary Monster LP has some of the weirdest bridges ever. That record is just a complete mind fuck. I love it. Teenage wildlife seems like it has fifteen different bridges.

DivShare File - 06_Teenage_Wildlife.m4a

Lastly, John Lucien's 'Search for the Inner Self' has a couple of great bridges and the raddest cowbell outro this side of Will Ferrell era SNL.

DivShare File - 04_Search_For_The_Inner_Self.m4a

• how about Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" for an outro? It starts off with the happy kind of bouncy beginning of the song and then ends with those haunting strings and operatic mellotron vocals. It's kind of erie. I love it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Morning Girl," Neon Philharmonic[/b] (great outro)
    This semi-bubblegum ballad moves along for a couple of minutes before turning into this dissonant string arrangement followed by a long, swelling organ note...you'd have to hear it. Song ain't but two minutes and change, but the weird psychedelic ending makes it seem longer than it is.

"Cry Like A Baby," Box Tops[/b] (great bridge)
    "Today we passed on the street/And you just walked on by/My heart just fell to my feet/(insert crying violins here) And I began to cry..." And then comes the electric sitar solo. THIS is what it means to get your heart broke at 18 years old, and Alex Chilton was probably about that age when he sang that line!

"The Letter," Box Tops[/b] (great bridge AND outro)
    Them Memphis boys knew how to do it right. The ending with the rinky-dink organ and the jet plane sounds tears me up every time.

"Hey Baby," Bruce Channel[/b] (great bridge)
    This white-soul hit from 1962 actually has two bridges (with two different chord changes), but I like the one that begins "when I saw you walkin' down the street..." It's bluesier, and matches the cocky mood of the song better than that other middle section ("when you turned and walked away...").

And as far as great musical bridges, this guy did it so often that I won't even mention any song titles.

Just thought I'd get the "invisible elephant" out of the way - SOMEBODY was gonna mention him sooner or later...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i love great endings and always try to have them in my own work, but off the top of the head all i can think of is the ending to "invisible man" by the third rail, which has to be one of my favorite endings ever.

• great endings:
    Kool & The Gang - Sea of Tranquility
    Friends of Distinction - Love Or Let Me Be Lonely (starts off okay, gets hokey for the chorus, redeems itself in the tag)
    Spanky & Our Gang - Like To Get To Know You (always dug the outro)

how about Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" for an outro? It starts off with the happy kind of bouncy beginning of the song and then ends with those haunting strings and operatic mellotron vocals. It's kind of erie. I love it.

yes! that is a good one

What about "Supernaut" and it's B-Boy jamboree!!

b/w

'Strut Roundup at Double Dutch tomorrow night! Be there or be...trapezoid.

for Supernaut i'm gonna go with the intro. i'll try to make it to double dutch it's in my hood more or less

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    outro of aaliyah's 'one in a million' where timbo loops that backwards guitar figure

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I dig the 2 fake endings on Matthew Sweet's 'Sick of Myself'. Richard LLoyd soloing into infinity.

I dig the 2 fake endings on Matthew Sweet's 'Sick of Myself'. Richard LLoyd soloing into infinity.

we oughta start a separate thread for false endings, cause we could go on all day namin' those

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I always enjoy the last 3 minutes of Issac Hayes/BarKays Walk On By.

• I like how the funky-horn-heavy outro of Bruce's "E-Street Shuffle" comes out of nowhere.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

we oughta start a separate thread for false endings, cause we could go on all day namin' those

Best ever:

Raspberries' "Overnight Sensation"!

• Sonic Youth "Sugar Kane" ... awesome song intro

One of my favorite album intros (best song leading up to a whole album) is "Heavy Friends" the first song on Boris' "Heavy Rocks." Slow sludge doom leads into one of the most unfuckwitable rock explosions ever, "Korusu."

Best ever:

Raspberries' "Overnight Sensation"!

The one on "Let Me" by Paul Revere & the Raiders ain't bad either, but we oughta save the good ones for some other thread!