10 Worst Concerts You've Ever Seen

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Rolling Stones - Veterans Stadium w/Foriegner & Peter ToshJefferson Starship & Jeff BeckBoston & Sammy Hagar (Lord, why did you let me go to this??)Bruce Springsteen - Cotton BowlTalking Heads & B-52's PalladiumLimp Bizkit & DMX (Took my kids, I hope they appreciate it)Korn & Stain'd- Reunion Arena (Stood on stage w/daughter who had won Radio Contest)The Who - Reunion Arena '82 (I never even liked this band)Van Morrison - Dude did 3 songs and leftMark Farner/Charlie Daniels/Marshall Tucker - Commack Arena (I went to see Farner do Grand Funk shit and the rednecks booed him off the stage after 1 1/2 songs.)

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Limp Bizkit & DMX

Non Phixion/Beatnuts/Arsonists/Afu Ra

A decade later, I still want that night back

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Herbie Mann 1990. Girlfriend's mom found out that I like jazz. A nice gesture. Could have been The Rippingtons. Anyways, I'm still coughing up the chest hairs.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Herbie Mann 1990. Girlfriend's mom found out that I like jazz. A nice gesture. Could have been The Rippingtons. Anyways, I'm still coughing up the chest hairs.

That's weird. I saw him at NOLA Jazz Fest in '95...and I thought it was great.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    kool keith on the sex style tour is def. up there. he didn't really do anything except stand there
    suicide - alan vega seriously asked the crowd about the Giants
    buzzcocks - had to wait over an hour until they came on and then the mics weren't working

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

That's weird. I saw him at NOLA Jazz Fest in '95...and I thought it was great.

It's not wierd, if you like jazz.

Van Morrison - Dude did 3 songs and left

when was this? i always liked his performance in the Last Waltz where he's wearing the purple body suit and obviously smashed and he's doing those drunken kicks and walks off stage before caravan is even finished. i think i was astounded that his voice was still there even though he barely was

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A Tribe Called Quest at Glam Slam, Minneapolis, Winter of 1990, coulda been Jan-Feb '91.

Like watching a high school rap act who didn't have their shit together AT ALL.
    Lame.

Close second was waiting all night ouside in the freezing cold for a free De La Show at Nation in DC, circa Mosaic Thump. Pharoah Monche killed it, Biz Markie spinning, and De La comes out after making everyone wait forever and delivered a completely limp set.

• i saw a bunch of phish shows in college, and the last one i ever went to was the most boring thing i ever saw. not enough drugs on earth to make that entertaining.

de la at skidmore college. bad, but mercifully, short show.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Although this was a favorite band of mine for a bit, I have to go with:

The Cult at the Alamodome, San Antonio 1989

I didn't want to draw this conclusion so bad that I made the msitake of checking them out again when they rolled through Austin a few months later. It was just as horrible.

The show of theirs I wished I didn't miss was at the Houston Summit in like '87. Guns and Roses opened for them and the crowd wasn't very into it. At a certain point of silence during G-n-R's set, a dude in the front row yelled loud enough for the entire auditorium to hear..."WE WANT THE CULT!!!" Axl Rose immediately answered him by kicking dude right in the head with his boot. Like I said, I missed this show but thankfully someone drew a very detailed 4-panel cartoon strip of the Axl kick on a bathroom wall at my high school. And that's how I first heard of Guns and Roses.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    MF Doom at GWU
    MF Doom at 9:30 Club

sound was mixed so horribly that my ears actually hurt.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I've been to two Eyedea shows. One was one of the best concerts I've been to, the other was definitely the worst.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The Who - (I never even liked this band)

BAN

For me, it was definitely Ryan Adams, circa 2002. My
    girlfriend and I liked to listen to his first album in
    the car, so I got us tickets to go see him live. I have
    been unable to even listen to that 1st CD ever since.
    Pure egotistical time-wasting garbage.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Although this was a favorite band of mine for a bit, I have to go with:

The Cult at the Alamodome, San Antonio 1989

I didn't want to draw this conclusion so bad that I made the msitake of checking them out again when they rolled through Austin a few months later. It was just as bad.

The show of theirs I wished I didn't miss was at the Houston Summit in like '88. Guns and Roses opened for them and the crowd wasn't very into it. At a certain point of silence during G-n-R's set, a dude in the front row yelled loud enough for the entire auditorium to hear..."WE WANT THE CULT!!!" Axl Rose immediately answered him by kicking dude right in the head with his boot. Like I said, I missed this show but thankfully someone drew a very detailed 4-panel cartoon strip of the Axl kick on a bathroom wall at my high school. And that's how I first heard of Guns and Roses.

London 1995, i go to see a Kiwi band (supergroove) playing at some fucking dive,and the support act is this awful bunch of dickheads called Sugar Ray (this must have been promo tour or something because they were all over the radio not long after).

Anyway, im standing there watching the poseoff on stage and some big tall fucker stands right in front of me, right in my personal space. I tap his shoulder, he turns around and its Billy Duffy.

Im at a complete loss for words. I stand there gawping like a fish (yeah i said gawping), he looks at me and says "they are fucking shite right?" I nod and he walks off.

The Cult rules.

• 1. killa kella in vancouver about 3 years ago: dude came onstage super baked and perfromed some rinky dink routine for about 15 mins.

2. fred wesley/idris muhhmad/lonnie smith also in vancouver about 6 years ago. the music was real good but it was poorly promoted and there were about 6 people there. fred was not happy about the situation and just seeing him so exasperated was kind of a letdown. when it came time for his spotlight or whatever he was like and now i have to do the part of the show were they feature my music and shuffled to the center stage to do some call and response tune i was not really familiar with. well the only person to do the call and response with was this old, drunk, white lady who was probably there by accident only. it was sad. at the end of the show i apologized to him. idris was supreme; tuned his drums differently for each song.

3. dj shadow in montreal in about 96. i guess guy had been strictly in the studio before this time so his live show was really lacking and seemingly he had to charisma or stage presence. it was on the heels of entroducing, the room was packed, and everyone was expecting great things but all he did was play his record and drop some samples from his mpc. again, a real uncomfortable and akward vibe. after the show he just sat by the stage alone; i felt bad for him.

4. dread zeppelin in the early 90's in winnipeg: they showed up without the fat elvis impersonator lead singer. priscilla, get me some bacon..

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I have seen Brian Adams twice.

one time was for love, the other was for work.

Neither was worth it.

And the first concert i ever went to was the Auckland stop of the Poison unskinny bop world tour.

I have an excuse, i was doing work experience at a radio station and i got to go and i even got to drink beer.

The next day at school my story impressed Joanne Bosman enough to let me kiss her...

she had fucking herpes.

i just remember when i got free tix to see taj mahal. not really my kind of thing but this was one where the performance wasn't particularly bad (or memorable) but the audience made me uncomfortable. it just had the weirdest corporate vibe ever, and people were closing their eyes and raising their hands swaying back and forth and shit like they were hypnotized. but they looked like they could be CEOs. and they weren't really successful at finding the rhythm. and he would say "how's everyone feelin'?!" and everyone would go "WOOOOH!!" i hate that. i was so uncomfortable.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Del/Blackalicious(Dallas 2000/2001?)....yawn

Peaches(Paris June 2003)....will someone please cut this woman's mic and kill the DAT...awful awful hipster bullshit

Tora Tora(opening for Alice Cooper Memphis,1986)...was supposed to be motherfucking MOTORHEAD opening, I was so excited, but no, "visa" issues...so instead here's Tora Tora! Awwww maaaaaaaaan. Guitar fritzed out so it was 30 minutes of bass, drums and godawful hair spray perm vocals. Yuck.

W.A.S.P. (Memphis 95?) Lip synching to a DAT. I know they sucked to begin with, but they couldnt even pull off the suckiness live, had to phone that crap in.

Van Halen(monsters of rock Memphis 1987) fuck Hagar, his douchetardery even made Eddie's guitar playing boring...

Dickies(Dallas 93?) yawn, forgot words, fucked up songs, lame

Butthole Surfers (Dallas 95) Electric Larryland we-dont-gvie-a-shit-anymore-era Surfers. No light show, nothing...just half assed performances of quarter-assed lame shit from their last 2 albums. I got my weed and pipe confiscated at the gate for this?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    1) Styx in 1978. Every part of the show was completely staged. They played their only good song (Suite Madam Blue) third in the show and it was all downhill from there
    2) Aerosmith at the Omni in Atlanta in '78. When I saw Steven Tyler getting helped UP the stairs to the stage BEFORE the show started I knew we were in trouble.
    3) Teenzinheat at the Agora Ballroom circa 1979. Free tickets won on college radio. I didn't give punk rock another chance til 1981.
    4) Replacements at the 688 Club in Atlanta around 1984. Horrible. The show the night before in Athens was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
    5) Tricky in DC 4-5 years ago. First time I saw him he was great. Not this time.
    6) Echo and the Bunnymen in Atlanta 1985. Show lasted two and a half songs before Ian McCulloch left the stage never to return (at least that night). Official reason given was "illness" but a friend of mine had seen him partying at Club Rio the night before around 4AM.
    7) Grateful Dead in Charlotte, NC around 84-85. Garcia was a mess. Forgotten lyrics, missed cues, etc. And I loved these guys.
    8) Some reggae band I saw in Jacksonville, FL last year when I was down visiting my parents. Trustafarians from hell. The crowd loved em though.

i just remember when i got free tix to see taj mahal. not really my kind of thing but this was one where the performance wasn't particularly bad (or memorable) but the audience made me uncomfortable. it just had the weirdest corporate vibe ever, and people were closing their eyes and raising their hands swaying back and forth and shit like they were hypnotized. but they looked like they could be CEOs. and they weren't really successful at finding the rhythm. and he would say "how's everyone feelin'?!" and everyone would go "WOOOOH!!" i hate that. i was so uncomfortable.

Haha... I actually read an article a few years ago about bands that subsist off of doing shows at corporate events. Like Hootie and the Blowfish.

These are the type of bands you are forced to read about in the in-flight magazine when you forget to bring a book with you.

Haha... I actually read an article a few years ago about bands that subsist off of doing shows at corporate events. Like Hootie and the Blowfish.

These are the type of bands you are forced to read about in the in-flight magazine when you forget to bring a book with you.

What is the name for this genre, anyway?

Middle manager rock?

Maybe it needs its own thread.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    In HS, we got a flyer for a show called Brooklyn, Vermont, or BKVT as the kids called it. For some reason, we thought i'd be a fun weekend of winter sports b/w with performances by Non-Phixion, Pharoah Monch and GZA in a ski lodge(?!?!?!). Non Phixion was whatever, Pharoah actually killed it, but this dude GZA came out with like 8 hype man, and said like 4 words per song. In the middle of Liquid Swords, i turned to my boy, like what the fuck is this?!?!

Gza: Yo, yo When (hypemen: the mc's came)
    To (live out the name)
    And (to perform some had)
    To (snort cocaine)

and so on.

yeah, i wouldn't really have any reason to see Taj Mahal out of my own volition. i guess some of his early stuff is okay but i don't really care. the show was at yoshii's which is totally corporate but i was surprised at how CEO-like a majority of the audience was. and when they all started moving it was like a horror movie.

it felt exactly like this

• Worst live performace i ever saw/heard was Foxy Brown at one of the Smoking Grooves' Tours that came to Camden, NJ.

She sounded tone-deaf.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What is the name for this genre, anyway?

Middle manager rock?

Maybe it needs its own thread.

Faux Rock

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Tricky
    DJ Spooky
    Animal Collective

um like a million local bands/groups but those are the biggies I can think of that made me want to shoot myself.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Dj Krush @ the El Rey (yawnfest; everyone tried to act like they were into it.)
    Blackalicious @ UCSD (they rushed through their set cuz nobody cares about 'em in Socal.)
    Aloe Blacc @ Little Temple (totally bland performance. overcrowded scenester venue.)

And a bunch of wannabe underground rap acts, back in my college years.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    and he would say "how's everyone feelin'?!" and everyone would go "WOOOOH!!" i hate that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Van Morrison - Dude did 3 songs and left

when was this? i always liked his performance in the Last Waltz where he's wearing the purple body suit and obviously smashed and he's doing those drunken kicks and walks off stage before caravan is even finished. i think i was astounded that his voice was still there even though he barely was

This was in '72-'73....the paper the next day said he was suffering from stagefright....I've also heard that the Band song "Stagefright" was about Van???

at least they're screaming and passionate about it. this was not the case at taj mahal, it was awkward and voices cracked. it was a high pitched WOOOh!!, not an AHHHHH!! also makes a huge difference when in an small venue than in an arena