I just watched Bourne and Sunshine

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I actually went down to the superplex by myself to catch the Simpsons, but the newspaper had the times wrong (again). So I opted for Bourne because I finally caught the first two when I was holed up in the hospital after my son was born. They were good. This one was even better IMO. The jittery style was running people out of the theater left and right. I overheard a dude in the bathroom saying that the director couldn't even figure out how to focus. Like that was some editorial overlook? Anyways, I thought the style fit perfectly with the frenetic pace and confusion. I've never been a Damon fan, but he really owned that role.Sunshine?So I stopped in the next theatre after Bourne and peeped Sunshine. Ended up staying through the whole thing. IS there a thread about this movie? ps--im not soBer

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    The jittery style was running people out of the theater left and right. I overheard a dude in the bathroom saying that the director couldn't even figure out how to focus.

I hated the movie for this very reason.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Sunshine is great. However, like other 28 Days Later (also penned by Alex Garland and directed by Danny Boyle), it started out with a promising premise, but shoot itself in the foot 2/3 into the movie by taking a turn for the worse.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    So fucking hot yesterday. I coulda stayed in the Sprawloplex all day.

Yeah, what the fuck is up with that? Sunshine was moving in this 2001 direction and then took a sharp turn down Jason v Freddy lane.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    The Bourne Identity ---
    The Bourne Supremacy --
    The Bourne Ultimatum -- i??m really curious about this one

• Sunshine?

So I stopped in the next theatre after Bourne and peeped Sunshine. Ended up staying through the whole thing. IS there a thread about this movie?

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post918101

That scene where the captain is on the shield is spectacular. The concept of looking into/approaching the sun and seeing the unknown/god is creative. The music fits perfectly. Unfortunately, I agree that the slasher-esque thing was a bit over utilized near the end.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I mean.. the Bourne Ultimatum looked good when the camera wasn't shaking with parkinson's. I just think.. this one was a bit pencil thin scriptwise. It left me saying, that's it?

- spidey

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

hilarious!

• Re: Sunshine, there are multiple endings to this film, much like there are to 28 Days. I don't know if one ending is for the US and the other for other parts of the world or what.

I missed the beginning. Why was the dude from Once Were Warriors all burnt up in his face?

• I missed the beginning. Why was the dude from Once Were Warriors all burnt up in his face?

His obsession with trying to see something in/through the sun. IE: God or some sort of beauty.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Caught "Bourne" last night - despite sitting in the 2nd row (oof!) and having to try to watch all that hand-held shit at such a distance and angle, both wifey and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't a big fan of the action direction - I thought PG overdid it but it didn't ruin the movie for me. I gotta give props to the screenwriters. They've managed to make the whole series really intriguing and exciting to follow.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I agree with you, I enjoyed this movie and the 'frenetic' camera movement that some people are complaining about worked with the pace and feel of the movie. I was not thrown off at all. A fitting end to the series.

• Caught "Bourne" last night - despite sitting in the 2nd row (oof!) and having to try to watch all that hand-held shit at such a distance and angle, both wifey and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't a big fan of the action direction - I thought PG overdid it but it didn't ruin the movie for me. I gotta give props to the screenwriters. They've managed to make the whole series really intriguing and exciting to follow.

i thought that the scene in waterloo station was inspired.
    the hand to hand with desh was ill

very exciting overall

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Sunshine is great. However, like other 28 Days Later (also penned by Alex Garland and directed by Danny Boyle), it started out with a promising premise, but shoot itself in the foot 2/3 into the movie by taking a turn for the worse.

I finally caught this movie last night at the ArcLight in Hollywood which has amazing sound and picture. The first hour and 15 minutes were mindblowing, then it just went in a totally unnecessary direction and the end of the movie seemed so rushed.
    Despite that - I really recommend seeing this in a great theatre. The cinematography and sound design are

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Saw Bourne yesterday and enjoyed it - thought it was a decent ending to the series. The whole scene where he was in the police car was almost too much for my tired brain to deal with. As 40 year Old Virgin states, Damon does indeed rock the shit in these films.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I bought the DVD of Sunshine last week (Region 3) because the cover says "never before seen alternate ending". I should have known better...'cos I've been duped once again.

Spoiler: the so-called alternate ending is just a real location shoot of the one in the theatrical cut, sans the fancy shot of Sydney covered in snow.

About the music of the movie...since I saw Sunshine and 28 weeks later within months, I just find the music of the two movies quite similar...they all sound like Godspeed You Black Emperor to my ears...

• Sunshine is great. However, like other 28 Days Later (also penned by Alex Garland and directed by Danny Boyle), it started out with a promising premise, but shoot itself in the foot 2/3 into the movie by taking a turn for the worse.

yeah it seems like all that guys movies fall apart toward the end.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    The jittery style was running people out of the theater left and right. I overheard a dude in the bathroom saying that the director couldn't even figure out how to focus.

I hated the movie for this very reason.

It irritates the shit out of me, too. It's not quite so bad in this Bourne as it is in the second (the worst of the three, imho), but you have to wonder what real purpose there is to all that shaky, hand-held shit when you're using it for scenes where the subjects are sat at a table and aren't actually moving. Mind you, if you think Bourne Ultimatum is bad, try watching Domino. The camerawork/direction was so incomprehensible and annoying, I couldn't sit through more than twenty minutes of it. I've seen Michael Bay movies that have left me with less of a headache.

I have to give it to the producers of the Bourne series for really upping the ante as far as action movies are concerned, though. The sequence in Tangiers is and despite his use of the kind of technical monkey-tricks that add little to the movie, Paul Greengrass manages to keep the tension levels pretty damn high throughout. I still think the first one is the best, though.