Why isn't the "scratch" set-up used in all clubs?

phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I don't understand why clubs haven't adopted the vertical "scratch" set-up across the board. Maybe someone could shed light on this for me, because as far as I can tell there are no advantages. Pros of the Scratch set-up-Greater, unheeded access to records-Takes up less space-CDJs are vertical and are set up that way-Allows the DJ to perform a greater amount of tricks,-Less likely to knock tone armPros of the horizontal set-up-?????

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    house djs like to look retro like their in the 60s in their living rooms

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't understand why clubs haven't adopted the vertical "scratch" set-up across the board.

Maybe someone could shed light on this for me, because as far as I can tell there are no advantages.

Pros of the Scratch set-up
    -Greater, unheeded access to records
    -Takes up less space
    -CDJs are vertical and are set up that way
    -Allows the DJ to perform a greater amount of tricks,
    -Less likely to knock tone arm

Pros of the horizontal set-up
    -?????

Ha - my friend, who is NOT a scratcher, was bitching the other DJ about spinning at a bar where there turntables were in battle mode and he found it a hassle to have to reach back to the turntables in order to access the tone arm.

For non-scratchers, the horizontal method is what they learned on and what they're used to. That's not to say it has inherent advantages or disadvantages, it's simply what they know how to do.

I agree with you - I find battle-style much easier to use, even as a mixer - but much of the club world is from what's the norm for scratch DJs.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    house djs like to look retro like their in the 60s in their living rooms

+ house and techno DJ's love to "ride the pitch" that's the only advantage I could find for "traditional" deck setup is having the pitch fader on the side instead of in back.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i don't scratch, but i prefer battle style because i can hook my little finger on the lite post thing when bringing the tonearm over. this is especially good for 45s when I may or may not be a little drunk.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah... it's a case of what you're used to. I am used to the battle-mode set-up too, but whenever I'm playing a at a night that's mroe house/techno/dance orientated, I always find myself moving the turntables. Most dudes seem to understand us scratchers... but I certainly prefer this set-up for DJing for all the reasons already mentioned... however, I do get mildly annoyed at how using the pitch is a little more of a pain in the ass in battle-mode.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i don't scratch, but i prefer battle style because i can hook my little finger on the lite post thing when bringing the tonearm over. this is especially good for 45s when I may or may not be a little drunk.