diabetic hypoglycemic episode

JroamJroam 257 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Yesterday I let my friend come over to use my internet to download some mixes. I let him be here and stopped by my grandma's to water her plants then to my aunt's to help her frame a large drawing. By the time I got home he was red in the face and dripping sweat. He said he just fell asleep. He didn't say he passed out or anything. An hour and a half after cooking some food and burning him three cd's, he will barely respond to me after moving around and proceeding to pass out in three different areas of the house. I try to reason with him at this point because up until then I thought he was only fatigued. Now I think something is wrong. He won't respond and then when he finally does he gets aggravated and starts spitting. Walks out to his car and sits/passes out in his car in my driveway for 10 minutes. He won't respond to me knocking on his glass though i know he's still somewhat conscious. He is zoned. he wont open the door or let me have his keys and starts talking crazy. He drives away. I then drive to his house to see if he made it and he will look through the window but wont open the door. I'm pressed for options at this point and I drive a few minutes to his grandma's house to send her over or have her call his family so someone will immediately check up on him. I had to resist calling the ambulance and police because he's a glass-blower who has a couple hundred pipes at his house, more than a couple being used. I figured and i could be wrong but they would have confiscated all his pipes because of his dirty pieces. I was in a predicament. my friends and i got a hold of him not much later and he seemed better but still out of it and maybe embarrassed about what happened. I told him to expect calls from his grandma and his dad and he hung up the phone on me. Whether I handled this the right way or not, I tried to help. (anything like this happen to or around you?)

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    is he a diagnosed diabetic?

does he take insulin?

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    yes and yes. I just talked to him and it's the second time in 5 years this has happened. The other time it was two months after his initial diagnosis. He is usually in comtrol of his diabetes, especially compared to my other friends who drink way too much. all is well except He can't remember anything specific about what went on yesterday and we missed pickwicks party. He is feeling fine today.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    yes and yes. I just talked to him and it's the second time in 5 years this has happened. The other time it was two months after his initial diagnosis. He is usually in comtrol of his diabetes, especially compared to my other friends who drink way too much. all is well except He can't remember anything specific about what went on yesterday and we missed pickwicks party. He is feeling fine today.

i guess the only thing you did "wrong", was not insist they check yr blood levels, have a soda, etc when they started acting wacky...

my girl is diabetic and when she starts to get a little buggy, i drop everything, and make her sit down and drink a coke until she mellows out...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Is he type I or type II? If you don't know, a clue might be when it developed: earlier or later in life. At any rate, true diabetic hypoglycemia and the behaviors that he showed are extremely dangerous in that, as you witness, a severe alteration in his level of consciousness occurs. You should consider him temporarily drunk/crazy and get him medical help asap. The behaviors he exhibited can be a result of not enough or too much insulin, so it's important to know what was going on just prior--did he take his insulin and not eat? Has he bin binging on carbohydrates for days on end? Although yes people do indeed "live with this" people also get into all sorts of accidents when their consciousness is altered. Trusting him to drive is probably not a good idea. Calling his family was definitely a good idea provided they are supportive in helping him with this disease. Given the fact that you did not know what was going on, however, you clearly acted as compassionately as possible.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

i guess the only thing you did "wrong", was not insist they check yr blood levels, have a soda, etc when they started acting wacky...

What's the deal with this? I understand if someone has a diabetic seizure you need to give them a soda but I always thought these episodes were brought on by having too much sugar.

If someone is having an episode should we give them a soda?

I'm