Gospel wants (most not incredibly rare)

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited August 2007 in Vinyl Wants / Trades
Please and thank you for those who can help me out. I will pay for these:Ada Richards - I'm Drunk And Real High (In The Spirit Of God) / ? (Hello World)Chicago Travelers - Been Trying / Take A Little Time Out (One Way)Dorothy Glass - New Creature LP (Champ)The Harris Specials - Make Things Better / ? (unknown)(The) Golden Nugget - Gospel Train LP (unknown)Inspirational Souls - I'll Make It All Right (Inspirational Souls)The Mississippi Nightingales - Sweeping Through The City LP (Hub City)The Mississippi Nightingales - Turn It On For Jesus LP (HSE)The Morning Doves - Come Out The Wilderness / ? (Kable)Paul Owens And The Capital City Star Singers - Jesus Is On The Mainline LP (ABC Songbird)Phil Brown & God's Earth - Sanctified / He Didn't Have To Do It (Onyx)The Sacred Four - Jesus Is Watching You / ? (Champ)The Scott Singers - When The Saints Go Marching In (Sacred Sounds)The Shackleford Singers - Jesus Is All Over Me (RS)The Spencer Jackson Family - We Have Decided / A New Day (Pyramids East)The Valentinos - I'll Make It All Right / ? (SAR)

Comments

• The Sacred Four - Jesus Is Watching You / ? (Champ)
    The Shackleford Singers - Jesus Is All Over Me (RS)

The Sacred Four is "Somebody Watching You" (meaning the Holy Spirit)
    The Shackleford Singers is "God Is All Over Me"

Please try to keep the Holy Trinity straight.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The Sacred Four - Jesus Is Watching You / ? (Champ)
    The Shackleford Singers - Jesus Is All Over Me (RS)

The Sacred Four is "Somebody Watching You" (meaning the Holy Spirit)
    The Shackleford Singers is "God Is All Over Me"

Please try to keep the Holy Trinity straight.

Hey: I reserve the right to fuck over any and all members of the Triune Godhead after the 4 years and multiple thousands I wasted spent at Chicago's own Moody Bible Institute. You ought to see my Jesus costume come Halloween; the ladies really seem to appreciate it. Ask R*sa, who will corroborate my account of last year's events.

And I'd like some kudos if any of the 45s we spoke of happen to end up in your GG2: Ecclesiastical Boogaloo set.

• I just got a PM from God. I wouldn't commit any more heresies today if you want to avoid a smiting.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Inspirational Souls - I'll Make It All Right (Inspirational Souls)

So this is a full album then? Any idea if this is this the same group that recorded on Fine? That Fine 45 is one of the best mid-tempo gospel soul/funk records I've ever heard.

Oops! Confusing the Inspirational Souls with the Inspirational Gospel Singers [/b]

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    With the exception of the Harris Specials, most of the Detroit 45s you list shouldn't be too difficult to turn up. You could try giving Brad at Peoples Records a call.

Love that Mourning Doves 45.

I have a friend back in Grand Rapids who's borrowing my copy of Jesus Is On the Mainline . If you don't have any luck getting it elsewhere, I can probably sort you out with that copy.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    As well as the comments already on some of the records;

Dorothy Glass - New Creature LP (Champ)

Two class tracks on here. My copy has a nice promo photo of Dorothy - great mournful gospel with the cut 'Too close'

(The) Golden Nugget - Gospel Train LP (unknown)

The label's an odd one. On the sleeve it says 'Glory Road Recordings', and on the labels themselves 'Gospel Road Recordings'. Either way you're looking for catalogue number 484.

Phil Brown & God's Earth - Sanctified / He Didn't Have To Do It (Onyx)

Rare 45 - a great one though. Only ever seen the one I picked up, so I dunno how obsure it is.

And yes, that Mourning Doves is superb.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Inspirational Souls - I'll Make It All Right (Inspirational Souls)

So this is a full album then? Any idea if this is this the same group that recorded on Fine? That Fine 45 is one of the best mid-tempo gospel soul/funk records I've ever heard.

Oops! Confusing the Inspirational Souls with the Inspirational Gospel Singers [/b]

Sorry. That's a Chicago-based, (church-produced) 45 only. I have misplaced the information on the flip side.

Also to keep in mind: There are at least 2 60s/70s gospel groups bearing the moniker "Inspirational Souls" - one in Chicago and one (the more popular of the two) in Los Angeles. The latter had records on Gospel Corner and Audio Arts, among others. Chicago has a current group of the same name the still tours, but I have no personel list from the initial group in order to ascertain if they are one and the same.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    As well as the comments already on some of the records;

Dorothy Glass - New Creature LP (Champ)

Two class tracks on here. My copy has a nice promo photo of Dorothy - great mournful gospel with the cut 'Too close'

(The) Golden Nugget - Gospel Train LP (unknown)

The label's an odd one. On the sleeve it says 'Glory Road Recordings', and on the labels themselves 'Gospel Road Recordings'. Either way you're looking for catalogue number 484.

Phil Brown & God's Earth - Sanctified / He Didn't Have To Do It (Onyx)

Rare 45 - a great one though. Only ever seen the one I picked up, so I dunno how obsure it is.

And yes, that Mourning Doves is superb.

Thanks most sincerely for the information. "Too Close" is killer. Just amazing stuff. So you're the guy that outbid me on the Phil Brown? Wasn't that copy VG-/G+? Even so, I'd love full mp3s of those sides. To my knowledge, even Ohio Soul Recordings didn't have that one listed at the time of the auction. If so, you know the rest.

At least I got the Willie Davis on Daran in the same auction!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    At the risk of further exposing my wants to others' want lists, I'd like to add one 45:

Rev. R. Sharp and the Singing Crusaders - God Specializing (Zenith 505)

No funk here - just deep, moving, substantial gospel.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    you're the guy that outbid me on the Phil Brown? Wasn't that copy VG-/G+? Even so, I'd love full mp3s of those sides. To my knowledge, even Ohio Soul Recordings didn't have that one listed at the time of the auction. If so, you know the rest.

The copy I have is VG++. Great condition - I did win it on the bay, but got mine over a year ago.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    that paul owens is incredible
    i think its a one tracker, but damn that one track is fire
    been lookin for it ever since my boy found copy
    good luck man. been lookin for it for a year

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Thanks for the offers and good words. Any other input, information, or tangible music for sale?