Almost X-ed out at the X-Games

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• not to digress, but last week i was dragged along to the us open of surfing at huntington beach and i must say it is the only event/convention thing i ever been to where the normal chicks walking around are waaaay hotter than the roxy/oneil models signing autographs.

• holy crap

i would hate to have to drop in after that dude.

• I saw this earlier today. Homie's shoes got knocked off.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I skated for 15 years, and worked at a skatepark for about 4 of those...I've seen some gnarly shit, but that is the hardest slam I have ever seen. I am amazed he got up from that.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    dude thought he was Danny Way for a micro second but the skatelite floor proved him as a kook poser

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The shoes...

That is the worst slam ever. Unfuckingbelievable.

How he managed to limp away is beyond me.

im guessing internal injuries galore.

Heres an update from Transworld News:

Within seconds Jake Brown went from pure elation to near death and now he has no memory of either experience. Brown had just completed a 720 over a 70-foot gap after barreling down an 80-foot ramp, a monumental accomplishment on a skateboard, when he proceeded up the 27-foot quarterpipe to attempt his final trick. What happened next left many thinking the Australian skater was dead.

Rising 15-feet into the air Brown lost control of his board and fell approximately 50-feet straight down to the base of the ramp, slamming his body so hard against the frame that his shoes were knocked from his feet. Brown lay motionless for several minutes while those watching stood in disbelief, wondering if they had just seen X Games??? first casualty.

Fellow skater Pierre-Luc Gagnon said, ???I seriously thought he was dead, broke his back or broke both legs. That was the gnarliest slam I've ever seen in my life.??? Those sentiments were felt by Jason Ellis as well. Ellis immediately approached Brown after the fall and noted ???That's the most terrifying thing I've seen in my life, in the history of skateboarding. His eyes were open and he wasn't breathing. I thought he was . . . dead.???

After nearly ten minutes of remaining motionless Brown was able to get to his feet and staggered to the side. Brown asked Ellis ???'Do I have another ride?' 'What'd I do?' 'Did I try the 720?'???. Ellis told him ???You made the 720??? but when Brown asked ???What???s I do on the quarter???? Gagnon responded ???Nothing, dude, you did nothing on the quarterpipe.???

Brown was taken from the Staple Center, site of the X Games 13 Skateboard Big Air event in a wheelchair but is believed to recovering nicely.

• I was at a press conference today (in the room, 20 feet from the podium), and this was playing on a TV in the background, and forgetting where I was, i yelled out, "OH MY GOD!" I snuck out the side door as everyone looked at me.

Shit is crazy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The best part of the video is when, like 20 seconds after
    dude slams and is lying there, presumably DEAD, everyone
    in total shock, the commentator goes " ... wow ... I can't
    believe he made a 720!"

• the commentator goes " ... wow ... I can't
    believe he made a 720!"

tony hawk -- but yeah, that was (morbidly) amusing

• Options
    Wow man. They said he dropped 40-50 feet? To put this in perspective, when I fell 18 feet and landed on the roof of a car I landed the same way this kid did and the back windshield popped out of the car from the impact (then my ladder landed on me, oof). I can't concieve of how this kid was able to walk away from that, I was barely able slide myself down to the hood.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Gagnon responded ???Nothing, dude, you did nothing on the quarterpipe.???

best quote ever!

• Options
    The best part of the video is when, like 20 seconds after
    dude slams and is lying there, presumably DEAD, everyone
    in total shock, the commentator goes " ... wow ... I can't
    believe he made a 720!"

I KNOW!! Then goes on to give his expert opinion on the nationally ranked status of the medical staff.

the commentator goes " ... wow ... I can't
    believe he made a 720!"

tony hawk -- but yeah, that was (morbidly) amusing

Tony Hawk should feel responsible ... it's skaters trying
    to imitate his video game in real life that has led to this
    trend of GIANT RAMPS and dudes jumping 20-yard transitions.

I'm only half-joking.

btw that 720 was sick ... the bail was just sicker ...

Wow man. They said he dropped 40-50 feet? To put this in perspective, when I fell 18 feet and landed on the roof of a car I landed the same way this kid did and the back windshield popped out of the car from the impact (then my ladder landed on me, oof). I can't concieve of how this kid was able to walk away from that, I was barely able slide myself down to the hood.

my best friend fell out a window, dropped 2 stories, broke his back, ruptured a lung, his left leg pretty much exploded from the impact and he spent 1 year in a wheelchair, then he had to learn to walk again. he cant even watch jackass, it makes him sick.

this shit would kill him.

• good gawd... his spine must be broke. i guess he knew that landing on his butt was safe. or can you break your butt?

or can you break your butt?

Of course. The absolute state of asshurtedness.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I still can't get over this.

45 ft!!!! gawwdamnnn.......

I still can't get over this.

45 ft!!!! gawwdamnnn.......

i cant stop watching it.

unfuckingreal.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In slo mo, it's even more

The shoes...

i have heard of shoes flying off in motorbike crashes, that illustrates how hard that impact was.

And that the man in obviously a cyborg.

• fuck!!! kids, stick to street skating!

I don't think this mega-ramp thing is a good idea. It's obvious that he couldn't handle the speed after that 720 going up the quarterpipe.

• I can't believe he got up and walked away !!!

• I don't think this mega-ramp thing is a good idea. It's obvious that he couldn't handle the speed after that 720 going up the quarterpipe.

hell nah..fuck all these stupid mega ramps and daredevil shit. Stick to STYLE!!!! Not impressing idiots because you can catapult your body hundreds of feet in the air.

I don't think this mega-ramp thing is a good idea. It's obvious that he couldn't handle the speed after that 720 going up the quarterpipe.

hell nah..fuck all these stupid mega ramps and daredevil shit. Stick to STYLE!!!! Not impressing idiots because you can catapult your body hundreds of feet in the air.

I agree. The failed double back flip wasn't the prettiest sight either.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've just watched it a number of times with a mixture of horror and disbelief. Absolutely insane that he walked away from it. Noticed he rotated as he landed which I believe is the correct thing to do.

• I saw some video news article about Bob Burnquist and how he built one of these mega ramps in his backyard. him and Danny Way train on it. He mentioned that you have to check the ramp every single day for loose screws, pebbles, and what not. Can you imagine going off of that jump and sliding across a screw that was popping up. He wears a suit that protects his skin.

Skateboarding hasn't really had too many new tricks in the last 10 years or so, they just get bigger and bigger. It's starting to get insane.

• BashirBashir 25 Posts
    They just said on ESPN that he is in the hospital with a bruised lung and a contusion on his liver.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Skateboarding hasn't really had too many new tricks in the last 10 years or so, they just get bigger and bigger. It's starting to get insane.

Exactly. The foundation was laid by 1999-2000, and shit has just been getting sicker and sicker. I don't know why people want to try and hate on this super-huge stuff. It's totally natural, look at snowboarding.

I'd also like to point out the fact that if this were an athlete in a basketball game, or a a football game he would be crying getting carried off the field/court on a stretcher. There is no crying in skateboarding.

Who remembers the Welcome to Hell Video where dude slams and breaks his neck?