New Prince - what's the verdict?

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
My girl has been playing it a lot lately because she's reviewing it for a mag, so I've just been listening to it running in the background. That "Chelsea Rodgers" track is doin' it on the disco tip, but other than that, it didn't really grab me. But again, this is not based on a thorough listen, so I might be wrong.I've been kinda sleeping on post-millenium Prince. I was listening to Musicology the other day (which kind of slipped under my radar beyond the title track), and found it pretty enjoyable. Haven't heard "3121" beyond "Black Sweat". A friend of mine played "The Rainbow Children" (from 2001) when I was over at his house the other day. Never heard that before, nice jams on that one, even though the religious narrative gets a little heavy-handed.Can the purple fella still do it in 2007?

Comments

• I haven't heard his newest yet but 3121 is definitely worth checking out

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Prince needs to slow his roll. The sheer volume of his catalog is Insane, and I haven't even really delved into anything, say, past '95.

I've been playing the Black Album pretty frequently as of late -- a little uneven but pretty solid overall.

I saw a review in Rolling Stone of his new album, and was surprised I hadn't heard anything about it, inlcuding here at Soul Strut -- and here we are.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    The new LP is only available if you go to his concerts, or as part of a free giveaway through a London newspaper. My friends in the UK picked it up for me, I should have it in a week.

I loved Rainow Children, even with the bizarre voice over. Fuck it, it's some twisted shit and you gotta appreciate the crazy sometimes.

Haven't heard the LP with Black Sweat.

I dug Musicology as well.

He is still soooo talented, always worth checking out his new stuff IMO.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I really haven't listened to much since Sign Of the Times, but he is a fucking genius.

I celebrate his entire catalog.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I really haven't listened to much since Sign Of the Times

yet

I celebrate his entire catalog.

I guess this is known as a "Reverse Faux Rillz"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Its very bland. Ive had it for a week and only listened to it once.

A music post. Proof that WBJ is not Dolo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I gave up on him a minute ago as far as his albums.

Live=

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    That Chelsea Rogers track is pretty different on the funk/disco tip. Really upbeat and probably the only really DJ worthy track on the release.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I didn't know about this freebee distribution of his new album. I know he used to be in a label limbo and would only sell his albums through his own imprint on the internet or something, but I thought he was back in the major label game.

Giving the record away in a UK-only newspaper? Seems like a weird move.