How to adjust volume levels the same for a CD-R

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Sorry for another question but I cant seem to figure it out. So say I am making a CD-R compilation(to use with a CDJ) but I can tell the volumes at different levels for some of the songs. (btw- They all fall between 192kbps-256kbps in quality) How can I adjust the levels to where they are all the same exact volume. I want to use these in DJ gigs so I need to figure it out. I do have Cubase and I thought I once heard you can do it there. Can someone tell me an easy way to accomplish this. Thanks!

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    hard limit -3dB with a 3dB boost.
    all the tracks.
    cool edit, audition, whatever prog has a limiter/compressor for you to use.

BOOM

crackalackah

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Sorry for another question but I cant seem to figure it out. So say I am making a CD-R compilation(to use with a CDJ) but I can tell the volumes at different levels for some of the songs. (btw- They all fall between 192kbps-256kbps in quality) How can I adjust the levels to where they are all the same exact volume. I want to use these in DJ gigs so I need to figure it out. I do have Cubase and I thought I once heard you can do it there. Can someone tell me an easy way to accomplish this. Thanks!

I don't have any experience with Cubase (perhaps I should), but when I've downloaded some tracks I use for my show, and I know the audio is low, I will convert it to a WAV file, then raise the peak levels so that they're all at 100.

Decoding MP3's to WAV's are also helpful when the person who made the MP3 didn't do it too well, especially if there are huge gaps of silence on the intro and outros, or if there are audible clicks and they either didn't bother editing them out beforehand or didn't have the know-how to do so.

EDIT: I use Cool Edit to edit and peak everything.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    hard limit -3dB with a 3dB boost.
    all the tracks.
    cool edit[/b], audition, whatever prog has a limiter/compressor for you to use.

BOOM

crackalackah

thats the only way i know of going about it.

• mooneymooney 48 Posts
    Just starting on this board, but the old versions of Cubase used to have a "soft clip" feature on the channel strip. It looked like an old analog meter and it would let you run the signal into the red and it would automatically compress it for you. Sounds great and easy to use

I switched to Pro Tools years ago, but if this feature is still there, get to know it